Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting

View Poll Results: I am interested and would like to attend and participate in the Open ADS-B Workshop:
I am an ADS-B/ACARS/Mode-S/HFDL sharer and I feed a Public Radar Network 10 62.50%
I am interested in starting my own Radar setup at home and potentially become a Radar Network sharer 3 18.75%
I am just interested in all things Radar Spotting and would like to come to learn more 4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th August 2012, 01:46 AM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Exclamation Open ADS-B Workshop - CONFIRMED - Sunday 25th November 2012

Hi fellow radar spotters.

I was talking with Noel White earlier today and we were bantering around some ideas in aid of hosting an open ADS-B workshop for a day sometime soon, somewhere in Sydney.
We'd plan an informal agenda and keep it pretty relaxed. We have to come up with a suitable date, time and location and choose our favourite pizza for lunch of course.

The main idea about having this gathering would be to primarily discuss people's ADS-B set-ups, compare settings and additional plug-in programs, share charts etc. You could bring your laptop or PC and together we could round-table best practice settings across similar ADS-B receivers to ensure we're all getting the most out of each receivers functionality which in turn will greatly improve the consistency across public sharing programs like PlanePlotter, FlightRadar24 and PlaneFinder.

Personally, I think it would be a great opportunity for all sharers to learn so much more about this advancing technology from each other and to give ourselves the best opportunity to maximize each one's personal set-up and share our experiences.

We'd like to gather as many of the Radar Network Sharers as possible who are sharing feeds into and out of YSSY (which includes sharers in Canberra, Newcastle, Dubbo and Tamworth). All feed applications are to be considered; ADS-B, Mode-S, ACARS and HFDL, into all radar networks like PlanePlotter, FlightRadar24, PlaneFinder and ShipPlotter.

I'm no expert on all of the above, so we'd be looking for additional input from others who are

The workshop would be open for potential starters willing to gain a full understanding of exactly what is required to get started sharing a feed from their own home location with ease, along with a plan of action to ensure a successful setup.
We'd of course also invite anyone else just generally interested in the hobby willing to learn more about the technology to attend.

More planning ahead required to get this one off the ground, so let's use this space to discuss some practical ideas over the coming weeks and to see where everyone's interests lie.... food for thought none the less.

Cheers,
amsy

P.S: Genuine interest only.
Old 23rd August 2012, 07:32 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Kurt, I would definitely be interested in attending, depending on the actual date (I have a couple of OS trips over the next few months).

I am very happy with my setup at present, but having only started in the past few months ADS-B wise, very keen to learn from others who have be in the game much longer. We have some great ADS-B Base Stations down the east coast providing excellent coverage, so it would be good to know how everyone is setup equipment and software wise.
Old 24th August 2012, 04:40 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Hi Grahame,

Thank you for your interest. I'm sure others will be interested in your setup too. Should be a good day if the attendance mimics the numbers registered so far.

Currently thinking of a Saturday or Sunday in November at this stage. I need to check with everyone what day best suits. Hopefully that's enough lead time.
Old 24th August 2012, 06:58 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Hi Kurt,

I will be in South Korea on Sat-Sun 17-18th November, any other weekend in November would be fine for me.
Old 26th August 2012, 07:08 AM

Kurt, at this stage, any time in November is OK for me.

Noel White
Old 26th August 2012, 01:52 PM

Exclamation

Hi, to simplify the process of finding a suitable date, I have created this doodle: http://doodle.com/4gwgzdrgzv4msva8

On that website you can enter the information at which date you are available, at which you are not or at which you can be available if there is no other possibility to organise the event.

So far I have set up slots for every Sat and Sun in November and I have split them into morning and afternoon slots. So you can also indicate when you are only available for half of the day.

You only need to enter your name (you don't have to register or provide email-addresses) and then you can select your availability for each slot.

If you want me to create more slots or set up different times, just let me know and I will change it.

The website will automatically show at which date most of the people are available.
Old 26th August 2012, 04:59 PM
Prolific Member

Thanks Henning, I have updated the doodle for November.
Old 26th August 2012, 06:58 PM

Wouldn't mind coming along for a look and learning more about it. I seen an example of it over the spotting weekend and it looked awesome. If the process of setting up is achievable where I live, I wouldn't mind getting set up over the Xmas holidays.

I have Completed the doodle for November, hopefully The date lines up. Cheers.
Old 26th August 2012, 07:30 PM

Me too , thanks for the initiative.
Old 26th August 2012, 10:03 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Hi all,

Bob Peake is also putting together a personal presentation for the day which will cover the current Australian ADS-B network, the present and future rules for aircraft fitment with ADS-B in Australia and overseas, and some of the latest developments in the area of aircraft to aircraft applications of ADS-B.

Bob's background includes being part of the Airservices team that introduced ADS-B into the Australian ATC system, and he was for a number of years Chair of the ICAO Technical Panel that drafted the original Mode S secondary radar standards, from which ADS-B has been developed.

This should be a great addition to the day and we really appreciate Bob's interest.