Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 17th August 2008, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
With these aircraft being painted in Boeing house colours (why are people calling them Dreamliner colours?)
Possibly due to the 787 being the first aircraft to be conveyed in this colourscheme.

Sounds a bit more attractive than "house colour" too
Old 17th August 2008, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Smith View Post
Possibly due to the 787 being the first aircraft to be conveyed in this colourscheme.

Sounds a bit more attractive than "house colour" too
Ironic the so called Dreamliner (house) colours have flown, but as yet not on a Dreamliner.
Old 17th August 2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
With these aircraft being painted in Boeing house colours (why are people calling them Dreamliner colours?) maybe the reason is building pride in the Boeing company. Afterall it must be a serious embarassment to them that they are yet to get a 787 into the sky, and indeed it seems even the rollout of the 787 was contrived. So why not paint some aircraft in house colours?
I'm not all that convinced of that 'embarrassment' reasoning, because every Boeing aircraft to feature the Dreamliner livery (China Airlines 744, Lion Air 737, Air Berlin 737, 1st B772LR, 787 Roll Out aircraft) with the exception of the very new B777F were painted in this livery well before any 787 delays were announced.
But your point in general about it being an example of internal marketing aimed at bringing pride and solidarity amongst employees could well be one of the factors why Boeing has painted these airline's in this way.

Back to the question I posed earlier, I can understand the general fanfare that Airbus and Boeing try to create with their 'marque' aircraft such as the 747, A380 and 787. We've seen what an iconic aircraft the 747s become over the years synonymously being referred as a 'Jumbo'.... we've also seen the great public interest in the A380 and I bet there are a lot of examples like Erik 's example of his family purposely trying to fly the A380 (heck, if I were to ever fly to Asia or Europe I'd actively pursue a flight on it too)....and now we're seeing an unprecedented level of reporting and access to the 787 even before the delays were mentioned.... so it's completely understandable that both Airbus and Boeing put a lot of marketing dollars towards creating these 'icons' to represent their company..

.....BUT....

..what gets me all puzzled are ads talking about how the 737 is the best short-haul aircraft with great field performance, great turn around times, and impressive efficiency and so on. I've seen similar ads in relation the 777F about it's technical credentials and so on..... so pretty much these ads have contained technical information which the general public could care less about.

Just puzzling at times...

Quote:
Ironic the so called Dreamliner (house) colours have flown, but as yet not on a Dreamliner.
Oh but it has... in the belly of the Dreamlifter that is.
Old 17th August 2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameel Kumar View Post
I'm not all that convinced of that 'embarrassment' reasoning, because every Boeing aircraft to feature the Dreamliner livery (China Airlines 744, Lion Air 737, Air Berlin 737, 1st B772LR, 787 Roll Out aircraft) with the exception of the very new B777F were painted in this livery well before any 787 delays were announced.
Think you missed the point. What I was getting at is the livery was cleary designed for the Dreamliner (although I still maintain it should be called House colours) as it is the first Boeing jet which actually needs to be painted. It must kill them that it was first painted on the 787 which is yet to get even close to the sky, yet here we have several others already flying. Nothing to do with the delay, more to do with the fact it hasn't even flown yet and not likley to fly for a while yet.

So much for the record build, certification delivery plans.
Old 17th August 2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
It must kill them that it was first painted on the 787 which is yet to get even close to the sky, yet here we have several others already flying. Nothing to do with the delay, more to do with the fact it hasn't even flown yet and not likley to fly for a while yet.

I'm not too sure what you're trying to get at here Ash W?

Yes the 787 was the reason why Boeing created this new fantastics looking Dreamliner livery (or Boeing House Colour to appease you)...and yes we first saw this livery on computer-generated images of the 7E7 which has now become the 787... but, it was never the plan that the first physical aircraft to be painted in the Dreamliner livery was the first 787 produced.

Important dates of Boeing aircraft painted in the 'Dreamliner/House Colour' livery:
787 Roll Out: July 8, 2007 (Boeing met this date as originally planned)
Lion Air 737-900ER delivery: April 27, 2007
777-200LR first flight: March 8, 2005
China Airlines 747-400 delivery: December 7, 2004
Ryanair 737-800 delivery: October 1, 2004
Air Berlin 737-700 delivery: May 18, 2004

It's pretty obvious to see that it was never Boeing's plan to have the 787 as the first Boeing aircraft to feature the new Dreamliner/House Colour livery.... so no, I don't think it's killing them that all these other Boeing aircraft are flying around in the Dreamliner livery while the 787 still is yet to get in the air, because that wasnever the plan.

If anything, by having all these other Boeing aircraft flying around in the Dreamliner livery, Boeing is creating even more buzz and awareness of the 787 because that paintscheme is synonymous with the 787 Dreamliner.
Also, by naming this new livery the 'Dreamliner' livery eventhough it's being featured on aircraft other than the 787 provides a halo-effect benefit for the other Boeing aircraft because they have a visible link with the 787, and therefore benefit from the futuristic, advanced technology, next-generation connotations that the media has tagged onto the 787.
Same reason why everyday car company's still create exciting performance cars.. because eventhough those sports cars don't provide a great return on investment in dollar figures, they enhance brand's image and intangible value, and this improvement in the brand's image is transcended onto all the vehicles in their line-up.

Last edited by Shameel Kumar; 17th August 2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 17th August 2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameel Kumar View Post
I'm not too sure what you're trying to get at here Ash W?

Yes the 787 was the reason why Boeing created this new fantastics looking Dreamliner livery (or Boeing House Colour to appease you)...and yes we first saw this livery on computer-generated images of the 7E7 which has now become the 787... but, it was never the plan that the first physical aircraft to be painted in the Dreamliner livery was the first 787 produced.

Important dates of Boeing aircraft painted in the 'Dreamliner/House Colour' livery:
787 Roll Out: July 8, 2007 (Boeing met this date as originally planned)
Lion Air 737-900ER delivery: April 27, 2007
777-200LR first flight: March 8, 2005
China Airlines 747-400 delivery: December 7, 2004
Ryanair 737-800 delivery: October 1, 2004
Air Berlin 737-700 delivery: May 18, 2004

It's pretty obvious to see that it was never Boeing's plan to have the 787 as the first Boeing aircraft to feature the new Dreamliner/House Colour livery.... so no, I don't think it's killing them that all these other Boeing aircraft are flying around in the Dreamliner livery while the 787 still is yet to get in the air, because that wasnever the plan.

If anything, by having all these other Boeing aircraft flying around in the Dreamliner livery, Boeing is creating even more buzz and awareness of the 787 because that paintscheme is synonymous with the 787 Dreamliner.
Also, by naming this new livery the 'Dreamliner' livery eventhough it's being featured on aircraft other than the 787 provides a halo-effect benefit for the other Boeing aircraft because they have a visible link with the 787, and therefore benefit from the futuristic, advanced technology, next-generation connotations that the media has tagged onto the 787.
Same reason why everyday car company's still create exciting performance cars.. because eventhough those sports cars don't provide a great return on investment in dollar figures, they enhance brand's image and intangible value, and this improvement in the brand's image is transcended onto all the vehicles in their line-up.
Well if the 787 wasn't the first and aircraft were painted that long ago then quite clearly it isn't Dreamliner colours. So the only correct term would be House Colours.
Old 17th August 2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
. So the only correct term would be House Colours.
So that's what all this was about...

Dreamliner colours, Boeing House Colours.... who cares what you want to call it... just go by whatever Boeing calls it. But hey, if you want, you can write a letter to Boeing stating that the politically correct name for their new paint-scheme should be 'House Colour' and not 'Dreamliner'.

Or...do yourself a favour and forget the term 'Dreamliner' ever existed. I'm sure that'll help you dream.. oops, I mean sleep at night.

Geez.
Old 18th August 2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Well if the 787 wasn't the first and aircraft were painted that long ago then quite clearly it isn't Dreamliner colours. So the only correct term would be House Colours.
Boeing calls it 'Dreamliner' colours...that's good enough for me.
Old 23rd August 2008, 02:16 PM

Okay so here it is........ the latest Boeing special scheme.....
Thanks to Drew for the photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smartju...52119/sizes/o/

Marks the end of the MD-80's for AS this weekend moving to an all Boeing fleet.

Scott.
Old 23rd August 2008, 03:52 PM

That photo is awesome - love the livery on the 737 and great to see it being applied to the new AS aircraft. Looks smart with the eskimo!