Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting

Old 7th February 2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel White View Post
Sorry Gerard, forgot to answer your question regarding why you can see C17's and C130's when you zoom out but not when zoomed in. I don't know. I didn't think it was possible seeing they don't transmit their position normally.

BTW are you downloading close in satellite images of the area you are watching. Try clicking on 14th button from the left. You can download images right down to your street.

Thanks for the explanation Noel. All makes sense now. See i thought you couldn't see the C-17s etc either from what i'd heard somewhere, but i downloaded a, i think its a Satellite image of the globe and when your zoomed out to view the whole globe, it starts to show all the planes that are in Europe etc. Then when i click on the aircraft list button and get a list of everything that is being displayed you can see that it has picked up USAF C-5s, C-17s, C-130, RAAF C-130s and C-17s and the occasional Nato aircraft. Whats funny is that the RAAF C-17s are somewhere within Australia because they are using Stallion as their callsign?
Old 9th February 2009, 03:28 PM

Just downloaded Plane Plotter, i can't get anything to come up.I hit the green button, & all i have is a picture of the world, no aircraft are coming up, does anyone know what is wrong, am i missing something very simple?

Thanks

Taran
Old 14th February 2009, 08:48 AM

Taran,

Head over here for step by step instructions...

http://planeplotter.pbwiki.com/

Also am I right in thinking you dont have a ASDB receiver (SBS-1 or Radarbox)? In that case the trial version of PlanePlotter wont help you. You need the full registered version to set up the application to receive the tracking via the internet. Don't worry that you have to outlay $'s for the application. There are now a strong and active group of us using PlanePlotter in Australia and we are a very friendly gang. You will soon find it is the most insanely great software you have ever purchased.

Cheers, Mark
Old 25th February 2009, 05:08 PM

Just a question, is anyone here the user/sharer on plane plotter with the code "jg"?
Old 26th February 2009, 08:01 AM

If you are looking at traffic in northern NSW/southern QLD, I think you will find it's "ig" (india golf) and based in Brisbane. a bit hard to distinguish between the "i" and the "j".

Have a look at: http://scooterhound.com/WWWR/planes/

Has great coverage doesn't he, down to about Coffs Harbour.

Noel White
Old 6th March 2009, 12:15 PM

Does anyone know what the error message in the top of the window means next to the program name?
It says Plane Plotter - network error 5???
Old 6th March 2009, 12:31 PM

Gerard,

Have a look at the PP forum

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/planeplotter/

as well as have a look in

http://planeplotter.pbwiki.com/

and do a search for "Error Messages".

Noel White
Old 25th March 2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel White View Post
I know i ask a lot of questions but this one is bugging me. I've been looking at a couple of plane this week and i know that they are in Australia, but the sharer or user supplying the data on PP when i search it comes up with someone in the UK, (the one im looking at is sharer code: c0 )

Anyone able to shed some light on this for me?

Thanks again

Gerard
Old 26th March 2009, 09:01 AM

G'day Gerard,

PlanePlotter's sharers code can sometimes be duplicated due the limited number of combinations of a two digit prefix. Not a worry when they are on different sides of the globe. Plus also a user/feeder may have multi PlanePlotter installations (desktop/laptop) and depending on which PP installation is been used, will display a different sharer code. For example, when I'm on my desktop my code is oW and when on the laptop mW is displayed. Sometimes a sharer will only register the one code which might be the case of c0

Hope this helps.

Noel White
Old 26th March 2009, 01:09 PM

Hi Gerard
It appears several users have c0. One of my laptops has (had) this code and I've now changed it to ci. Depending on where you received this it may have been me. Locations this year for me and my mobile setup have been Adelaide, Perth and Sydney.
My base setup in Brisbane is code jg.
I also sometimes use a mobile setup code of mX.