Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Services and General > Admin and Feedback

View Poll Results: Should posts which quote the entire above post be moderated?
Yes - they should be moderated. 27 65.85%
No - they should be left as is. 14 34.15%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd December 2009, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Default Moderation of Quotes

Feedback in the last few days has been that many of you do not like the moderation of posts which have quoted the entire post directly above.

Please use this poll to indicate your preference for moderation of the posts or not, and feel free to reply with any constructive discussion on the topic.

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:09 PM

Default Balance and moderation

In my opinion it's pretty simple - where quoting is needed for context or to avoid ambiguity, quote the text. Where the reply is to the whole of the immediately preceding post (like this one) it's a waste of screen real estate and time to have to scroll through a re-quote of what would usually already be on the same screen.
Old 23rd December 2009, 02:43 PM

Moderate as required.

Those posts which are quoted multiple times that come with pictures should get the flick.

However if the content of text posts is relevent, let the post be made.
Old 23rd December 2009, 02:47 PM

I'm with Philip.

If the quote is appropriate and adds to understanding, then leave it. For example a one or two line post that is purely question. If it is just a pure regurgitation of the entire long post for the sake of it, then yes it should be actively discouraged.

Discretion is required, and a polite PM to the person guilty would probably sort it out, and should be used in preference to the hard line moderation which we've been seeing recently, especially for those who aren't frequent offenders and may have done it by accident.

As an aside, I'd say that the problem wasn't what was moderated.
Old 23rd December 2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knudsen View Post
Feedback in the last few days has been that many of you do not like the moderation of posts which have quoted the entire post directly above.
In the last few days?!?!?

I would suggest it's not necessarily the moderation or deleting of quotes that is the issue, but rather the in-bold comments that replace them that people do not like! Perhaps the poll should have a third option - No they should be moderated if necessary but without the childish in-bold scolding comments attached!

Last edited by Andrew McLaughlin; 23rd December 2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 23rd December 2009, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Thanks for pointing that out Andrew, obviously our intention isn't to come across as childish, but more so to let the poster (and other users) know that quoting the whole above post isn't necessary. I apologise to anyone who feels any of the moderators comments may have been childish or offensive.

If the poll decides that future moderation of quoted posts will be required, we won't be leaving comments, we will just delete them as required and send PM's to users who continue to "offend".

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 23rd December 2009, 04:39 PM

Andrew,

I think your point maybe valid, however going though all these posts every day must drive the mods nuts! It is free!

I have never been reprimanded by the mods, as I am sure LOTS of others havent been either.

After you have read a post or two when the "bolded messages" have been there, surely you will get the message.

I mean my comment sincerely and am NOT IN ANY WAY having a go at anyone who may have been in my language "bolded".

Kind regards,

Geoff
Old 23rd December 2009, 08:07 PM

Yes they should be moderated.

In this day and age, across many forums, people choose to press the quote button to reply to a post rather than editing the post down only to what requires being quoted.

I mean if I wanted to quote Geoff W above, I can press the quote button and do this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff W View Post
Andrew,

I think your point maybe valid, however going though all these posts every day must drive the mods nuts! It is free!

I have never been reprimanded by the mods, as I am sure LOTS of others havent been either.

After you have read a post or two when the "bolded messages" have been there, surely you will get the message.

I mean my comment sincerely and am NOT IN ANY WAY having a go at anyone who may have been in my language "bolded".

Kind regards,

Geoff
Or I can choose to edit it PRIOR to pressing "Submit Reply" and quote only what is required, ie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff W View Post
However in most cases it is never generally necessary to quote the person who appears directly above your post when read by others.

Personally, I think the "Reply with Quote" button should be removed and users manually insert anything they believe need to be quoted.

We have a great board and I believe it's professional appearance is something we should all strive to preserve.

Now go on, someone quote this entire post........
Old 23rd December 2009, 08:15 PM

If the whole post is about a single issue and you are replying to that, then don't quote.

But if there is something SPECIFIC in the post above and it is more than one sentence long, then quote but edit the quotation right down to only what you want to reply/answer/make a point about.

eg from Craig's post above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
Personally, I think the "Reply with Quote" button should be removed and users manually insert anything they believe need to be quoted.
The only problem with this is I'm not sure if a lot here are familiar with the inner workings of vbulletin and how to insert various scripts into their posts manually.
Old 24th December 2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
Yes they should be moderated.

In this day and age, across many forums, people choose to press the quote button to reply to a post rather than editing the post down only to what requires being quoted.

I mean if I wanted to quote Geoff W above, I can press the quote button and do this:

Or I can choose to edit it PRIOR to pressing "Submit Reply" and quote only what is required, ie:

However in most cases it is never generally necessary to quote the person who appears directly above your post when read by others.

We have a great board and I believe it's professional appearance is something we should all strive to preserve.

Now go on, someone quote this entire post........
Done. Didn't wanna let ya down Craig But it seems the 'quote' function did some moderating of its own.

Last edited by Rod Sloan; 24th December 2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Incorrect use of quote function