Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 8th April 2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wilkes View Post
Take no notice of them and tell them to go about there business.
Nigel

by letting the DJ person get away with it, its making things more difficult for the next guy.

Banjo
Old 8th April 2008, 08:58 PM
Prolific Member

Like I said Banjo, I don't know what the rules and regs are within the terminals (I rarely go in them).

I don't think it's a matter of letting the DJ person 'get away with it', but if you feel that the person may have overstepped the mark, then why not ask to see the airport's duty terminal manager in the presence of the person who asked you to stop. You'll get final clarification, and they'll also know whether they're within or outside their boundaries.

Cheers
Old 8th April 2008, 09:01 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wilkes View Post
I dont know how YOU handle your self but Many photographers just turn a blind eye to them
Brian,
As previously mentioned, I spend very little time within airport terminals, and when I do, I never have a camera with me. Therefore I never get approached on the issue at hand!
Old 8th April 2008, 09:08 PM

The Duty Manager will stick with the staff member anyway. Whether it is truth or not.They will not make one of their staff look like idiots.Remember they will bend the rules to save face.
Old 8th April 2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schueler View Post
Last month I was approached by a Virgin Blue crew member and asked to stop photographing one of the new Virgin Embraers through the window at the Sydney Domestic Virgin Terminal. The reason given was because of 'Security'.
Anyone else had this experience?

I once took a photo of the 'Flight Details' TV screen at the arrivals level at Syd Intl Terminal (near the cityrail station entrance) and a federal police officer just happened to have been walking near by. I was told to delete the photo because of "security". I feel tempted to ask the officer why I should delete the photos, given the fact that these flight details info are posted on the Sydney Airport website everyday anyway - but of course I didn't - that would be a waste of my breath...
Old 8th April 2008, 09:31 PM
Prolific Member

Ray,
Have a re-read of the posts and take note of the fact that I said 'airport' duty terminal manager, not 'airline' terminal manager.

I strongly doubt the airport manager is going to cover an airline workers butt if they're in the wrong...

Perhaps in your days with Ansett your management was in the practice of covering your stuff-ups? If that was a culture within the business, then it was a recipe for disaster...
Old 9th April 2008, 07:13 PM

Guys I think it's a simple matter of the DJ staff member being out of line, there are security staff in place to deal with security issues if this was a security issue, which of course taking a photo of an aircraft from a terminal after you have gone past security screening is hardly what i would classify as such, but if the regulations state as such then it should be made clear to the public with signage as it is in Moscow SVO and other airports around the world, since this is clearly not the case then the staff member should mind his own business and do his job whatever that may be.

Morris
Old 11th April 2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Biondi View Post
Guys I think it's a simple matter of the DJ staff member being out of line, there are security staff in place to deal with security issues if this was a security issue, which of course taking a photo of an aircraft from a terminal after you have gone past security screening is hardly what i would classify as such, but if the regulations state as such then it should be made clear to the public with signage as it is in Moscow SVO and other airports around the world, since this is clearly not the case then the staff member should mind his own business and do his job whatever that may be.

Morris
I remember back since before I aquired this pot-belly of mine, back in Bergen, Norway. The local airport, Flesland, was also a major air force base and there were lots of restrictions on photography.
Every 10-20 meters along the entire perimeter fence where signs making it very clear that photography was absolutely prohibited and attracted severe punishment.

These signs remained in place long after the air force ceased regular operations from the airport, and scaled back to using the underground hangars for pretty much just for storage.

When I moved from the area, it was still illegal to take photos of the airport and surrounding areas from the air, but judging from photos at different collections around the net, it looks like this has been lifted.