Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 4th February 2015, 04:04 PM
Prolific Member

Default TransAsia crash: Eight dead as plane crashes into Taiwan river

TransAsia crash: Eight dead as plane crashes into Taiwan river

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31125052

Impressive video on tonight's news
Old 4th February 2015, 04:07 PM
Prolific Member

In car video of crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=0fWhYJNZt08
Old 4th February 2015, 06:05 PM

I am in Taipei at present,and was probably 3-4 km away when this happened - though was unaware of it until I saw it on TV while having lunch in a Restaurant. Local TV at present says 19 fatalities, 15 injured, 24 missing. The flight was bound for Kinmen, which is a Taiwanese Island just a few kms off the Chinese coast near Xiamen - apparently 31 of those on board were PRC Nationals.

It appears to have taken off from Runway 10 at Songshan (TSA/RCSS) Airport, which is right in Taipei City - surrounded by development on all sides, almost like Kai-Tak was - and has had trouble maintaining height for reasons unknown. Just missed some buildings on the way down, clipped a Taxi (those in it are OK, the Taxi isn't) on an Expressway and crashed into the Keelung River, which is rather shallow, and affected by tides at that point, hence it has not been totally submerged.

Local TV reports (4PM Taiwan time) 19 deceased, 15 injured and 24 missing from a total of 58 on board. How any survived is nothing short of a miracle when you see the videos.

Oh, and yes, Dash Cams are in almost every car/bus/taxi/truck in Taipei, so the emergence of such videos is no real surprise.

Not good for TransAsia of course, they lost a similar aircraft near Magong in Taiwan last July during a poor weather approach (tail end of a Typhoon) with 48 fatalities.
Old 4th February 2015, 07:33 PM

Aircraft Registration is B-22816, MSN 1141, ATR72-600 - less than a year old.
Old 5th February 2015, 08:40 PM

I've heard TransAsia's ATR constituted the most number of accidents of the same type.

Virgin Australia also operates the same type of planes too.

I'm concerned if this type of plane is safe or is some other factors which trigger the crash, in particular I'll need to catch this type of plane on VA soon.

I wonder if ATR72 has ETOPS which should allow single engine operation.

Hopefully as they salvage the wreckage and the black box we'll get to know more of what's happened.

CX138 SYD-HKG
CX101 HKG-SYD
Old 5th February 2015, 10:03 PM
Administrator

The ATR72-600 is approved for 120 minute ETOPS (EASA). It is of course a safe plane to operate on one engine, it wouldn't be certified to fly if it wasn't.

I have seen some comments from pilots that it does have excellent single engine climb performance even at max weights, and that it is generally an easy aircraft to fly, but the older models did have some issues in icing conditions but I believe that is ancient history now.

I suspect once the investigation gets under way it will turn out to be something more than a single engine failure.

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 5th February 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T View Post
I've heard TransAsia's ATR constituted the most number of accidents of the same type.

Virgin Australia also operates the same type of planes too.

I'm concerned if this type of plane is safe or is some other factors which trigger the crash, in particular I'll need to catch this type of plane on VA soon.

I wonder if ATR72 has ETOPS which should allow single engine operation.

Hopefully as they salvage the wreckage and the black box we'll get to know more of what's happened.
Single engine operation has nothing to do with ETOPS. All multi-engine aircraft must be able to climb with one engine inoperable (OEI) following a failure at or above V1. If the failure occurs in the cruise they must be able to maintain the cruise Alt or drift down to a suitable ALT.
Old 6th February 2015, 08:13 AM

I wouldn't be concerned with the ATR72 in Australia. Remember, most if not all air crashes have series of events and not just a single cause. Sadly TransAsia doesn't have a very good history.
Old 6th February 2015, 01:29 PM

Virgin had a issue with one not long ago.
Old 6th February 2015, 04:55 PM

Yes. And the series of events in that instance was a bird strike and subsequent inadequate checks / repairs / maintenance following that incident. So not as a result of the aircraft itself.