Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 7th March 2015, 09:34 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

It looks like both engines have taken some punishment
Old 10th March 2015, 01:00 PM

Where is the front landing gear of the aircraft? And I am surprised that no crane was used to lift the plane up, according to the pictures, not sure if there's been used behind the scenes.

On the other hand, during the closure of the airport, can't planes diverted to another airport in Nepal and change there for buses to KTH?

CX138 SYD-HKG
CX101 HKG-SYD
Old 10th March 2015, 03:51 PM

Hi Arthur,

Nepal has very very basic infrastructure. There was no crane in the city that could assist with the lift and as the runway was closed none could be flown in from India. The lift was conducted using airbags from India. I assume they were choppered in. The heliport is on the opposite side of the aerodrome.

This lack of infrastructure really does make the Nepalis the kings of improvising, as can be seen in the photos. No doubt the bosses at Turkish would have been having some coronaries but really there would have been no other option.

KTM is pretty much the only major airport in Nepal. Lukla is obviously rather famous, bit at 2800 amsl, only 530 metres long and with a 30 degree slope it is obviously far to short and unsuitable for anything other then a Twin Otter to land on. Lets be honest, they probably shouldn't even be landing there.

If Lukla was a better airport, the fact that there are no vehicular roads in Lukla is the next issue. The guests would have to walk the 90km, over 10,000 vertical metres to get to Jiri which is a short 160km and 6-8 hour drive from KTM. Yep 160kms in 8 hours gives you a clue to the quality of the regional roads in Nepal.

Pokhara is the only other airport that accepts fixed wing aircraft as far as I am aware. Although I have not flown there so I can not be sure. I believe the runway is about 1400m long, i'm not sure how wide it is. A320's need about 50m width, I think? I doubt Pokhara would be that wide. Its over 200kms from KTM, however the roads are a little better so I think 5 hour journeys between the cities are not to uncommon.

Nepal is an awesome country however they are just a few years behind in infrastructure. I'd like to think this incident brings some attention on the airport though. They really can't afford to have it closed for such a long period of time. Tourism can be effected to easily and i'm sure it would be the countries largest export.

Cheers

M
Old 4th April 2015, 01:02 PM

Found a video from inside of the landing. Quite interesting to note that you can only see the runway in the last couple of seconds before landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkLUriZPqIM
Old 6th April 2015, 09:55 PM

Glad to see everyone got away with their carry-on luggage in hand
Old 8th April 2015, 08:58 AM

You could see it turning to worms as the vis reduced - when you can't see the inboard part of the wing, let alone the wingtip the vis is not all that flash.

I was interested to hear - or not hear as the case may be, the lack of commands from the cabin crew and the very brief PA which had I been a passenger on the flight would have meant nothing to me.
Old 10th April 2015, 08:40 AM

Yeah, RVR isn't great! The 'cabin crew at stations' command from the flight deck is a cue which would pre-empt an emergency evacuation while they run the checklist.

The post evacuation video is interesting as well. The bloke at 3.15 walking around the aircraft while smoking is pretty unbelievable.

At 5.35 it's a bit surreal seeing the flight deck and cabin crew just standing around as if nothing as happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr7Y65quulU