Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 16th September 2011, 11:56 AM

Default Crossing 'the pond' - November 2011

Hi there,

I am looking at booking a flight from London to New York this coming November.
I am wanting to fly on a Saturday, however all flights on that date cost $2350US. Thats Economy class! (Whether it be a one-way or part of a return ticket)

If I wait 24 hours and fly the next day, Sunday, the flights are selling from $250US.

Its not the week of Thanksgiving so what is the reason behind a ~$2000 price difference?

Thanks
Adam
Old 16th September 2011, 12:21 PM

Hi Adam

Not sure what happen for you but when I used http://www.skyscanner.com.au they show a fare of about USD 270 for most days in November except the Thanksgiving weekend.

Also did you try all airports for London and New York or just LHR and JFK ?

Hope this helps
Old 16th September 2011, 01:06 PM

Brett, thanks for your help.

I was wanting to fly with BA and was looking through their website.
A return trip from the US to the UK would cost me $2830 if I flew back on the Saturday, and the same trip would cost only $730 if I flew on the Sunday!

Looking through Expedia, I can fly in on the Saturday for $2300, which includes " premium economy" travel on the flight between the UK and US with Virgin Atlantic.

Using Skyscanner 2 one-way flights would cost $2400 flying BA. (can't search a return trip as I require a multi city booking engine).

I guess I have to decide if I want to be in New York on the Saturday to see a show that night, or save $1500 and miss the show.
Frustrating that there is such a large price gap over a 24 hour period.
Old 12th October 2011, 07:22 PM

What are the rules/laws regarding a purchase of a return ticket for an international flight, to which you have no intentions of 'returning'?

In other words, I am currently looking at $1400 for a oneway ticket from London to New York, however If I purchase a return ticket to London the ticket will cost approx $800.

From New York however, I will be flying back to Aus via LAX with no need or want to return to London. Can I arrive in New York and then cancel the return leg of that ticket, so the airline is aware I will not be travelling with them on the selected date?
Old 12th October 2011, 10:19 PM

Adam yes you can cancel your ticket - no issue.
Old 12th October 2011, 11:00 PM

Yes, there are some amazing fares out there at the moment where you need to plan very carefully where to "jump ship". For example, one large Australian carrier is offering amazing fares from AKL, via BNE to the USA... far cheaper than the fares from Brisbane themselves... So 1 cheap flight to AKL to get on this flight, back via BNE again on the way to LAX, then a "stopover" in BNE on the way back from LAX to AKL, and you don't bother taking the AKL/BNE the next day, etc. As discussed in other threads, you just need to plan your "jump ship" carefully and you can take advantage of some amazing fares out there. As we all know, our travel "market" in Australia has got some pretty heavy fares at the moment compared to other markets, all down to power of economy and the amount markets are prepared to pay, etc. eg. UK to Aust is far cheaper than Aust to UK. So you have to put your thinking cap on to figure out how to beat the system.

Next Trips:
Feb BNE-CBR-BNE, QF
18May BNE-DPS-KUL-PEN-SIN-BNE, VA/AirAsia/QF
05Oct BNE-YVR-PDX-YVR-BNE, AC
Old 12th October 2011, 11:14 PM

Adam I forgot to say, make sure they are on different PNRs. If you no show for 1 sector in a given trip; this will normally result in every other flight being cancelled to.
Old 13th October 2011, 08:10 AM

Radi/Joe, thanks for your replies.

I am fairly happy with the price quote for my return AUS-US flights, (would prefer QF oneway and VA the other, but don't want to spend more then $2,000 on those flights).

From the US, I will be heading over to the UK for a few days before returning back to America and then onto Australia.
The RTW option isn't appealing this time around.

I just can't get over the cost of the flights between the US and UK.
Its not a direct return ticket, as I am flying out of a different US port as to where I will be returning, however the 1-way ticket will cost just as much as my entire AUS-US flights will (which are twice as long!).

At this stage I am looking at paying $1400 to the UK and $1300 back.

I was considering making the $1300 flight a return ticket and halving the price, although my concern after arriving back in the US and cancelling the 'return' portion of that ticket may make me look like a 'security risk' and cause concerns in the highly strict US.

I will still be in posession of my return ticket to Australia, so I will always have an exit ticket out of the US which should satisfy them, although I may need to explain myself for cancelling the UK-US return ticket.

....if that makes sense.
Old 28th October 2011, 12:34 AM

It's the small print. Most deeply discounted tickets for USA-Europe flights require a Saturday overnight (still). It's not uncommon to get $800 including taxes return. Excluding 'taxes', I got a IAD-AMS return on BA this year for $250. Without the Saturday overnight it would have been six times that. Makes a hotel room cost effective!