Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 11th January 2016, 10:27 PM

Default Singapore Airlines to announce Singpaore-Canberra-Wellington Service

Evening all,

4x a week using A330-300's routing Singapore-Canberra-Wellington

Quote:
We understand Singapore Airlines chief executive Goh Choon Phong will descend on our national capital next week to announce the commencement of four weekly flights between Singapore and Canberra. And thanks to tricky aircraft utilisation, the airline will use the same Airbus A330 to operate an onward Canberra-Wellington return service.
http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window...0160111-gm3dju

My Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53284949@N05/
Old 12th January 2016, 06:59 AM

How will that work with customs?
Old 12th January 2016, 07:13 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian B View Post
How will that work with customs?
In what respect? Canberra is a designated international airport and has the facilities re customs, bio security already in place. The terminal is currently being modified/built so that two gates can act as an international or domestic facility, much like Adelaide.
Old 12th January 2016, 07:37 AM

This may be a silly question, but will SQ be able to sell the Canberra - Wellington flight by itself?
Old 12th January 2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
The terminal is currently being modified/built so that two gates can act as an international or domestic facility, much like Adelaide.
It was built that way. Down the VA end of the building there's a glass partition which can be closed off (just like at ADL) to separate the domestic and international areas, and pax for international access that area via escalators. As Mark says, there's already provision for the border agencies down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dale View Post
This may be a silly question, but will SQ be able to sell the Canberra - Wellington flight by itself?
It's hard to say with any certainty because the version of the AUS / SIN treaty which is available on the Government's treaty website is so old it doesn't even show Singaporean carriers as having rights for BNE, ADL or CNS, which we know they do. However in that version they DO have beyond rights (i.e. fifth freedom) to AKL. So it's probably fair to assume Singaporean carriers now hold beyond rights to WLG as well, as it's hard to believe SQ would take on a route such as this (nor NZ & VA join them in it, which I'd imagine they will) without it.

Last edited by Rowan McKeever; 12th January 2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12th January 2016, 08:08 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan McKeever View Post
It's hard to say with any certainty because the version of the AUS / SIN treaty which is available on the Government's treaty website is so old it doesn't even show Singaporean carriers as having rights for BNE, ADL or CNS, which we know they do. However in that version they DO have beyond rights (i.e. fifth freedom) to AKL. So it's probably fair to assume Singaporean carriers now hold beyond rights to WLG as well, as it's hard to believe SQ would take on a route such as this (nor NZ & VA join them in it, which I'd imagine they will) without it.
The treaty does not reflect the 2003 MOU which I believe took into account the open skies NZ AUS agreement and opened up fifth freedom to all ports within NZ and Australia for Singapore airlines.

Interesting move going to Wellington, from one marginal airport to another depending on the weather conditions.

Probably worth mentioning that Canberra has been here before with the short lived Air Pacific International flights, Singapore and Wellington I suspect will be more popular.
Old 12th January 2016, 08:15 AM

Cheers Mark, I guessed there was an MoU along those lines but couldn't find anything in a brief look.

The FJ service sprang to mind for me when I read this news last night but at least SIN has the connectivity to Asia & Europe without having to go through SYD, MEL, BNE etc. Good luck to them!
Old 12th January 2016, 01:09 PM

I think you will find that Singapore Airlines have done years of research, and they will be looking at a lot of Government DOD for the Canberra to Wellington Leg, also don't forget the people with in 2 hours drive of Canberra Airport, like Albury, Wagga at the South Coast, be able to get to ASIA and Europe without having to go thru Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne. I also her the Canberra Government has given them a great deal, to fly there.
Old 12th January 2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils Kenny View Post
don't forget the people with in 2 hours drive of Canberra Airport, like Albury, Wagga at the South Coast, be able to get to ASIA and Europe without having to go thru Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne.
This is a very big selling point by the ACT during negotiations with international frims. The catchment population is slightly under one million of which only about 350,000 live within the ACT borders.

[QUOTE=Nils Kenny;98218 also her the Canberra Government has given them a great deal, to fly there.[/QUOTE]

No doubt. In the nearly 6 years I have lived in the ACT, local members have made many trips to Singapore and I suspect probably a few they haven't announced also.
Old 12th January 2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils Kenny View Post
also don't forget the people with in 2 hours drive of Canberra Airport, like Albury, Wagga at the South Coast
Will be interesting to see if Wagga and Albury will see another airline fly to Canberra if it can get one or more international flights. Interesting times ahead.

Flightradar24 feeder (F-YSWG1 & T-YSWG2)
FlightAware feeder (YSWG/6482)