Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th February 2010, 03:42 PM

Starts at 0930 so the best flight to get there on the day would be QF814 which arrives at 0930 (0915 really, they are always early from Melbourne) and it finishes at 1330 so you would want QF2139 at 1330, DJ274 at 1500 (the DJ 73H which will be for display should operate that) or QF815 at 1505.

If you've got a bit more money try QF400 to Sydney and QF787 to Canberra, that will be 767 ops that day and I dare say it will be a relatively light load, same with QF562 back to Sydney.
29/3/24 QF2078 (TQH)
29/3/24 QF945 (VXA)
17/3/24 QF1268 (X4A)
17/3/24 QF1267 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1274 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1269 (X4B)
Old 7th February 2010, 03:45 PM

great thanks zac.
im looking at getting QF up there on the dash-8 or Q400 and back on DJ with the E-jets.
Old 10th February 2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac M View Post
QOH will be there as usual.
I beleive it will be a new livery Q400 not Pinkie unfortunatly although a Joy Flight will go ahead.
Old 12th February 2010, 02:08 PM

Official notification from Canberra Airport out today, as posted on Ozspotters. Good to see a big HARS representation!

No discussion of a flying display... So not sure if we'll get a repeat of the amazing FA-18 from last time?

CANBERRA AIRPORT OPEN DAY
The Canberra Airport Open Day is happening again on Sunday 28 March from 9.30am – 1.30pm, and will feature loads of aircraft displays and children’s activities!

AVIATION DISPLAY

Come and climb aboard a Qantas, QantasLink, Virgin Blue or Brindabella Airlines plane, or take a step back in time with a display from the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society.

Aircraft that will be on display include:

- Qantas 767-300

- QantasLink Q400

- Virgin Blue 737-800

- Brindabella Airlines J41 and Metro

- Super Constellation “Connie”

- DC3/C47

- Neptune Bomber

- Catalina flying boat

- L39 Albatross

- Many more small aircraft and warbirds

CARNIVAL

There will be something for everyone including children’s rides, great food and entertainment for the whole family.

Carnival activities include:

- FM104.7 outside broadcast

- Jumping castles & inflatable worm ride

- Face painting and glitter tattoos

- Animal patting paddock

- Roving entertainment

- Australian Federal Police stall

- ACT Aeromodellers Association flight simulators

- Canberra Gliding Club aircraft display and

- Rides in a tethered RAAF hot air balloon

There will be a range of food stalls at the Carnival, including coffee, a sausage sizzle, gelato and dutch pancakes!

Parking is free in and around Brindabella Business Park – just follow the signs to “Airport Open Day”.
Old 12th February 2010, 06:11 PM

I hope this isn't a silly question, but...
Are there admission fees or such involved?
Cheers,
Neil
Old 15th February 2010, 11:32 AM

I don't know about you guys, But the Dutch Pancakes are the first thing on my list to do!!! I haven't had one of those in years!

Just a shame the RAAF don't have any of their aircraft on display, such as the C-130 or C-17.

Ah well can't have everything im just looking forward to going to such a great day!

Cheers
Matt
Old 15th February 2010, 12:43 PM

Yes entry is free, but there may be donations asked to visit certain aircraft (eg: HARS).

Apparently the RAAF are yet to advise what they might be able to provide, but I suspect a C-130 or C-17 is unlikely. Maybe next year! But here's hoping for a FA-18 handling display again... I did hear there is a possibility of a RAAF PC-9 on static display (not sure if a Roulette c/s or not), I'll have to chase up whether that's a goer or not.
Old 15th February 2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jones View Post
Yes entry is free, but there may be donations asked to visit certain aircraft (eg: HARS).
Thanks Steve.
Old 17th February 2010, 06:54 PM

OK... After calling my friend in Qantas, Can confirm this:

The pink bird (VH-QOH) is not coming in for the open day, primarily because they are supporting the Salvation Army, not the Breast Cancer foundation so not to send the wrong message. So a normal new livery bird will be doing this open day.

No merchandise for sale this time as well, but definitely can confirm a new livery Qantas bird B767 is coming (Obviously...)... Can't confirm reg yet.

Alex.
Old 20th February 2010, 10:47 PM

Hi all

I'm definitely putting this one in the diary and eager to come down form Sydney to go to this one! This will be my first ever weekend away for aviation interests, so bear with me and my basic questions!

Firstly, I'm tossing up whether to drive down from Sydney (A drive I've done many times!) or to fly down on Qantas on Saturday morning, spend the day spotting and photographing the local Canberra air traffic (Hoping to get a shot of one of Brindabella's Metros flying) as well as the HARS aircraft coming in, although with the latter, am I assuming correctly that they'll be arriving on the Saturday before the open day?

Secondly, with spotting the local Canberra traffic, does anyone know of any good and easily accessible spots around the airport perimeter for this purpose? I'm a fan of Jeff Gilbert's photographs on Airliners.net and very curious as to where some of those locations are?

At this stage, I'm looking at getting on QF787 from Sydney on Saturday (Beoing 737) and returning to Sydney on Sunday night on QF562 (Boeing 767), as well as hopefully go on a Q400 joyride on the Sunday, to get my flying 'fix'.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I really look forward to both this weekend and next week's Wings over the Illawarra event!

Last edited by Maikha Ly; 20th February 2010 at 10:54 PM.