Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 11th December 2012, 06:41 PM

Default Trip Report: King Island on a DC-3, with a jumpseat!

G’day all

Thank you for tuning into this trip report, it’s been a over a year in the making (Most of which through complacency!) as I’ve added bits and pieces wherever I can, and with a current lull leading up to Christmas, I thought I’d finish this trip report off once and for all.

If you love DC-3s, love old modes of transport, good food, the past, and some nice views, I hope this Trip Report is for you, so sit back, relax and enjoy!

Background

Aviation, as a hobby for me personally, has really intensified in the past few years, through many means like actively and regularly photographing aircraft, travelling to airshows, and since I made this trip, getting a commercial license. Of course, little did I realise what a mission that would be, however that’s another story altogether!

I’ve always had a fascination for old stuff, old cars, buildings, maybe the odd old train here and there, but rarely was there an opportunity to experience old aircraft, that was until many years ago in 2006, a friend and I, in our youth and just got our driver’s licenses, would hang out at Bankstown Airport a lot watching all the little aircraft do touch and gos and envying the chaps (They weren’t that much older than us!) in those planes. Then low and behold one Sunday afternoon, a freakin’ DC-3 comes in to land, having just come back from a sunset flight over Sydney Harbour. Immediately, we both jumped in the car, raced over to the Aviation Museum at Bankstown and watched as a few folks were being offloaded from the aircraft. The sunset was a passionate fiery red and orange and it was my first ever visual of a DC-3, its distinctive nose pointing to the sky with this sunset in the background, fortunately, I have a photograph of.

My next opportunity to be able to jump on this plane for a flight, was thwart when I was accepted into University, and pretty much shifted away to a country town called Wagga Wagga, where, my aviation interests were to lay dormant for a few years while study (Pfft, yeah right!) and other things took precedence.

Three years later, after finishing uni, and returning to Sydney, it was to my shock that, the DC-3 I saw landing at Bankstown those years earlier, was broken into pieces and now living in a paddock in Molong, the others in the fleet suffering the same fate, and the museum all but landlocked from the airport. The flights out of Sydney no longer exist!

It was about two years later. I was at a friend’s party in suburban Melbourne (Broadmeadows), we were just sitting in the backyard, it was sunset and the sky was also this fiery mixture of red, orange and yellow. Out of no where, we see a DC-3 fly overhead us, slowly and majestically, banked and descended, into a circuit to land at nearby Essendon, the silhouette of the aircraft moving along this mixture of colour in the sky. I was amazed, stunned, and delighted to hear one of these still flew regularly out of Melbourne. Like my first encounter at Bankstown, that image ingrained in my memory forever, and I told myself one day I really am going to go for a flight in one.

Another two years on, it was May 2010. Having moved back to Sydney for my newly forged (But soon to finish) career in the media, I had just taken up flying lessons at Bankstown Airport, it seemed an ordinary afternoon while I was preflighting Warrior VH-IMX. Ordinarily enough until my then instructor comes running out of the building, and yells at me to look up, then it appeared, DC-3 VH-CWS did a low, slow, yet beautifully majestic fly by of Bankstown Airport over Runway 11C. I immediately turned on the scanner I had, and heard the conversation with tower. The Captain thanking the tower for allowing this, and the aircraft then rejoined the circuit for a landing on Runway 11C, I can still remember it, the aircraft majestically keeping the tail up as it glided above the runway and almost effortlessly, touched town. It was two hours later, and concluding my flying lesson, I drove by the other side of the airport to check out VH-CWS… which to this day, continues to sit in a limbo at Bankstown, awaiting a purchase.

One year later, it was June 2011, I just happened to be down in Melbourne for a short holiday. I remembered the DC-3 from years before was still doing flights, and I had to jump onto it, booked the King Island Lunch flight two days before the trip, and even managed to arrange a jumpseat on the aircraft. However, just imagine the quantity of emotion that was very soon dissipated, going from excitement that moment after booking and paying for it…. to disappointment to get a phone call hours later that the flight had been cancelled, due to technical issues. I was accepting of this, safety is first and nothing else. All this meant was instead of King Island, I spent my day at the Point Cook RAAF Museum, followed by the Aviation Museum at Moorabbin that afternoon, the photos I’ve previously posted can be found here.

It was now September 2011, an email came to me from Shortstop Jet Charter, telling me of the DC-3 flights that were on again that season, it just so happened one particular flight to King Island was happening on a Sunday I’d just be in town that weekend!

Quickly did I grab the phone….

That Weekend, Planes, Trains and Automobiles (And Trams, and Boats and Horse and Carriages!) – September 2011

There was something peculiar that just lined up with this weekend. I’d be coming down on the Friday, and spending a free day checking out Melbourne. I was due to go on a cruise on a vintage 1920s ferry around the Docklands area. To get to Docklands, I’d have to catch a vintage 1930s “W” Class tram from Spencer Street station. The following day on Saturday, the main reason I was in town, was to catch up with some friends and go for a steam train ride, from Melbourne to Bendigo, hauled by two “R” Class Steam Locomotives, dating back to the 1950s. In Bendigo, I had the opportunity to hire a 1920s Chevrolet to go from the station to the pub where we were all gathering for lunch. The Sunday… was the DC-3 flight (Oh and adding to this, a Horse and Carriage ride on Sunday night!).

I organised all this to happen, but didn’t see it line up until the day before I left for Melbourne, I was spending the whole weekend travelling on as many old modes of old machinery as there are operational, this was going to be a great weekend.

Up to Sunday, I did everything I planned to do as the photographs illustrate. The flight was the only thing left! I was staying out of the Airways Motel located across the road from Essendon Airport. It was the worst night’s sleep I’ve ever had, people banging their luggage against walls as they walked down the hallway, and jet aircraft flying over keeping you awake! Oh wait….

VH-OVM

(Information courtesy of Aussieairliners.org which can be found here)

VH-OVM started out as a Military version of the aircraft, the C-47, built by Douglas Aircraft Corporation in Oklahoma City in April 1945, delivered to the USAF and flown to Brisbane the same month. The RAAF then took hold of it, registered as A65-98, under the registration VH-RFO, and found operation up in Butterworth, Malaysia between 1964 to 1975 as VH-HJZ.

Afterwards, the aircraft was transferred to RAAF Wagga Wagga and then to the RAAF Museum Point Cook, before entering the Australian civilian register in July 1989 registered to the museum. In November 1989, it was purchased and registered to Shortstop Jet Charter and re-registered as VH-OVM, where it continues to operate charters and joyflights to this day and to which I had the delight of travelling aboard.

Last edited by Maikha Ly; 11th December 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11th December 2012, 06:42 PM

The flight – September 2011

I got to the Silver Clipper Lounge about 20 minutes early, watched as the crews prepped the DC-3, VH-OVM. She was looking beaut, the same beaut as the women of her time! Nearby was a film crew, of two chaps and a few very expensive massive looking cameras. I got talking to them, and they were putting together a television documentary on historic aircraft. I look forward to seeing it soon if it eventuates, and you’ll all get to see me on it. At 1030, they finally let us into the lounge to check in, I got the 2nd last row of seats, 7D, and we were treated to a complimentary glass of champagne. I thought it was a little early to be drinking….. ah who am I kidding? This is all part of the experience!

We lounged about for 20 minutes, before our Captain, Mike Falls, got our attention and addressed us, welcomed us for the day’s experience and gave us a rundown of the history and operation of the DC-3 aircraft, and to assure us of many things, like the oil leaks are a good sign of mechanically sound condition and that the aircraft won’t be in cruise with its nose up on an angle all the way (As opposed to how it sits on the ground).

We finally then were let out of the lounge and walked across the tarmac to the aircraft. I figured as I was in the last row or two, I might as well just wait, and take my time snapping the aircraft while I was walking out to it. I finally got to the stairs, and made it aboard. The aircraft looked particularly divine, it’s been refurbished very nicely and the seats I believe are former Boeing seats off a jet.

The door was shut, and at in no time, the right Pratt and Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp engine was fired up, some spoke spluttered form the exhaust with a spin of the prop, then the engine roared into motion. A minute later, the left engine followed, and the aircraft came to life!
Old 11th December 2012, 06:43 PM

Take-Off

We taxiied to Essendon’s Runway 17. Sat there for a few minutes while we waited for inbound traffic, then once cleared, lined up, and in all its glory, the R-1830s both went to full power and began a smooth acceleration down Runway 17.

The take-off, of course felt slow, but one could note the gradual rise of the aircraft’s tail as we were rolling down the runway, and seconds later, the smoothness of the take-off gave the sensation of the ground just ‘dropping’ from the bottom of the aircraft, rather than the aircraft getting airborne. It was brilliant! Here I am in 2011, and riding around on a aircraft built in 1945 and the aircraft still flies beautifully and gracefully!

We continued climbing over Melbourne on a South-West track, which took us over Port Phillip Bay, past Point Cook (Home of the RAAF Museum) on the right hand side, and continued on over the bay, past St Leonards, where we left Melbourne’s controlled airspace.

We then exited the Bay over ‘The Rip’, which is between the heads of Point Lonsdale (Bellarine Peninsula) and Point Nepean (Mornington Peninsula) at the entrance to Port Phillp Bay, and continuing southbound, to the Tasmanian Island of King Island.

Cruise

Flight Attendant, Julie, wearing my hat

After passing over the bay entrance, we continued South over Bass Strait, in a very smooth and pleasurable cruise, at about 4500ft, and cruising at 130kts, which seemed very slow considering I’d been flying twin-engine planes that would cruise at the same speed, but I guess back in the day this speed was impressive nonetheless.

What a glorious day! We got above the clouds over Melbourne and pretty much for the rest of the day, was completely clear skies. I could not have picked a better time to do this trip on this aircraft and to this destination.

During the flight, we were given a coconut slice and a juice, and when the aisles weren’t chockers, each of the passengers was given the opportunity to visit the cockpit inflight.

Being at the rear of the aircraft, I was the last to visit upfront before they began their top of descent. Although I was upfront for only a minute, I was amazed at how clean, yet primitive the cockpit was…. aided by a big fat dirty Garmin 430 GPS in the middle! I returned to my seat and enjoyed the rest of the flight as we began our descent towards King Island.

Old 11th December 2012, 06:43 PM

Arriving into King Island

Our first glimpse of the island was over the North-Western Tip, over Lake Flanigan, and we continued to fly down the Western Coast of the island, me being seated on the right hand side, I was treated to a very breathtaking view of the coast as we tracked along there, then joined the circuit for a crosswind join.

We then turned Downwind, then turned Base, and then finals, for what was a very smooth landing onto Runway 28, King Island’s main paved runway, with an unnoticeable bump as the tail wheel was lowered, and then a gradual adjustment of senses as the aircraft’s cabin was now on that upward incline again!

We got to the end of Runway 28, then backtracked for the terminal. Finally we came to the front of the Terminal, and one after the other, the engines were shutdown, to a roaring silence, something that needed adjustment to as throughout the whole flight, we all were quite use to the pleasant noise of the R-1830 radials working their hearts out. The First Officer then appeared from the cockpit, and went down to the rear of the aircraft to get the large door open and place the stepladder that was needed for us all to disembark. I was one of the first off the aircraft, and as expected, once the passengers gradually disembarked, we spent a few minutes milling around on the tarmac getting photographs before we were whisked away into the terminal.

Then out the other end onto a small bus, greeted by a gentleman by the name of Adrian.

King Island - An Isolated Oasis!

King Island is one of many islands that make up the State of Tasmania, and this was essentially my first visit there. It’s located in Bass Strait, within the ‘Roaring 40s’, between the North-Western Tip of Tasmania (Relative to Smithton 80km away) and Cape Otway, Victoria on the mainland (About 90km away). It has a small island community of about 1700 people, and is well known to the rest of the nation for its production exports of beef, seafood (Predominantly lobsters), dairy products, and also Kelp (Seaweed). Although with a small population, the island is massive however! North-South, it’s 65km and East-West, it’s 26km.

Currie, the 'capital' of King Island

King Island Airport gets regular RPT services by Regional Express from Melbourne, King Island Airlines, a small outfit operating out of Moorabbin in Melbourne, and Airlines of Tasmania did have services there from Wynyard, Tasmania, at the time. It’s a nice natural getaway and has a steady stream of tourists a year, which today, was going to be boosted by another 30 people.
Old 11th December 2012, 06:44 PM

King Island - Our visit

Adrian is a local farmer, and also tour coach operator on the island. He has lived on the island for many years. His local knowledge was indeed indepth, and what he didn’t know about the island wasn’t worth knowing! We all crammed into this bus and left the airport for a short bus ride to a local restaurant for lunch. Along the way, Adrian was giving a very detailed commentary as he was driving the bus on the history and geography of the island. It was a short drive when we went through the township of Currie, essentially the ‘capital’, or Administrative Centre of King Island that has about half of the island’s population.

We went through there then onto the restaurant (And hotel), called “Boomerang by the Sea”. Part of the tour was a great seafood buffet lunch, and this venue is one of the finest restaurants on the Island and serving the best of Tasmanian Seafood and other produce of the island.

Aside from the fresh and delicious food, was this breathtakingly spectacular 180 degree view of Bass Strait from the restaurant! By this stage I was in a Nirvana, having flown on a nice vintage aircraft here and now having the best food with the best views, if we got stranded here, I would be fine with that! The buffet served up the finest in smoke salmon, oysters, beef, and other delicacies. A cheesecake was served up for desert, and that too was as quality as the main course.

Once lunch was over, we all went out onto the balcony to savour all the senses of the coastal view of the King Island’s coastline facing Bass Strait, with clear sunny skies, it couldn’t have gotten better. The food here is close to being ‘bliss’, and I would come all the way back down there just to have it all again. One day!

Once everyone was satisfied with their lunch, we made our way back onto the bus to continue our tour of King Island. We went through Currie again, and over to the local Kelp factory.

King Island Kelp Industries is one of the main products to come from the island, it’s a retrieval of sea kelp out of Bass Strait, and pretty much drying and refining to gradular form, for export to both local markets as well as overseas, Scotland and Norway being the main buyers of the product. The factory was a ginormous set-up of racks and hooks which had seaweed hung off them to be dried spanning over a wide acre.

And the open nature of the island had our tour bus driving into the premises, driving around and stopping at some of the racks and hooks while our tour guide Adrian explained how it worked and the significance of the Kelp factory to the Island’s economy. We then left the Kelp factory bound for Currie again, but taking a nice detour on some roads, which went alongside the rocky coastline of the island.

The roads then lead past the island’s main Golf Course, located downhill from our restaurant, is a spectacular, yet extremely challenging 9 hole course that hugs the coastline, completely exposed to the elements with very few trees and plenty of places to lose your ball (Like, I don’t know, the ocean!). Nonetheless, for the golfing members of the group, there are weekend packages here that you should indeed have a go at one day!

Once passed all them, we made our way into town, where we were given an hour to freely roam Currie and check out the shops, all of which were closed, except the IGA, and small art and craft establishments also in Currie, all of which were also closed, except one. I took this time to wonder around, went past the offices of Tasair/King Island Airlines, which shared the same building (And of course, also closed), popped by some arts/craft stores, and continued wondering around.

I stopped by the IGA, where we were told we could buy most of the locally produced King Island beef, seafood and dairy at. As I was travelling around at the time and not immediately going home, I couldn’t indulge in this as much as I wanted to!

Once our stop into town was complete, we all gathered on the bus again and continued to our next stop, taking the ‘scenic route’ through the island’s interior, we made our way to King Island Dairy, very famous across Australia and overseas for their quality cheese products, as well as other dairy products like their King Island Mousse (Which I’m consuming some of while I write this Trip Report!).

We got there, and all of us crammed inside, we split into two separate groups to take turns going round robin around the cheese tasting sample tables. We were given a slip and a pencil to mark the names of cheeses that took our fancy. Even though I couldn’t buy any at the time, I kept a note for it for when I return to the mainland and come across the cheese at my local Woolies (Although sadly, it’ll be a lot marked up compared to buying direct from them on King Island).

We were here for about half an hour while other members of the tour group stocked up, and once that was over, back on the bus, and now back to the airport! We made our way back there, and in the distance I could see a Regional Express SAAB 340 taxiing to depart for Melbourne.

Last edited by Maikha Ly; 11th December 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11th December 2012, 06:44 PM

On the jumpseat, back to the mainland!

We got to the airport, where we left the bus, and farewelled Adrian. By this point, it seemed all the members of the tour group developed a fondness of him and his very indepth passionate knowledge of his local community. We gathered in the terminal, where we could see our bird to fly back home, had infact been pushed back a few metres to the end of the tarmac to allow the day’s inbound REX SAABs come in and park. The SAAB had since gone, however, it seemed the keys to open the terminal door onto the apron were misplaced, so we were all gathered to walk out of the terminal’s front door and around the side to an airside gate and through there to the aircraft.

We were milling around the aircraft in glorious afternoon sunlight, before one by one we climbed on for our flight back to Melbourne.

I made my way to my seat, and once all the passengers were seated, I was then invited upfront to sit in the jumpseat for the Take-Off out of King Island. This experience was indeed valuable for me, as at the time, I was studying for an Instrument Rating and a Commercial License, and I could get to see how a Multi-crew environment works, albeit in an old aircraft!

Not my most flattering photo...

It went by very quickly, the pilots started up the right engine, and a minute later, the left engine. A taxiing call was made on the Centre and CTAF frequency, and we were off, to taxi for our runway. Before we entered the runway, I glimpsed an Airlines of Tasmania Jetstream 31 coming into land on the main runway, then exiting onto the apron. We then left the apron and instead entered runway 35 (As the wind was favouring that more), and backtracked to the end.

We then turned around, the First Officer made a ‘rolling’ call on the CTAF, and then the power was applied to both engines as we made a smooth acceleration along the runway, raising the tailwheel, then, like the same sensation at the start of the day, we just started rising above the runway and then climbing for our way back to Essendon on the mainland. We climbed to 5500ft, by then, Captain Falls was the Pilot Not Flying, and made our departure call to Melbourne Centre, followed by a PA announcement.

I stayed in the jumpseat until cruise, then I finally had to be pried out of there to return to my seat to allow the other passengers to visit upfront again. I returned to my seat, pretty much completely satisfied of my day’s activity. I just sat in my seat for the rest of the flight, with a massive grin, and enjoying the ambience and vibe aboard. The afternoon light bathed a nice shade of red highlighting the aircraft cabin.

Old 11th December 2012, 06:45 PM

Back into Melbourne

Soon enough, the Mornington Peninsular was showing up on my side, as we crossed over the heads of Point Nepean and entering Port Phillip Bay for our return to Melbourne. I thought it was novel flying over the Bay and over the ships (And seeing flocks of pelicans on the buoys), then we crossed over Williamstown and Newport, with the big freight terminals, then descended over the suburbs as we joined downwind for the circuit onto Runway 17.

The afternoon light was just hitting the horizon, and it was magic light hour, as the cabin was still bathed in rich colours as we turned the circuits for our landing. To any observer on the ground, would have seen this beautiful aircraft in its graceful movements, like I did a few years ago at a very similar time of the day.

We turned final, then floated above runway 17 before, once again, a very smooth and skilled touchdown, with an unnoticeable lowering of the tailwheel, then a slow taxi off the runway back to the Short Stop Jet Charter hangars. We pulled into our parking bay, and the engines shut down, to conclude what has been, an unbelievably, expectation-exceeded, brilliant, awesome, wonderful and just top 11 out of 10 great day out!

After bidding farewell to the crew and to the fellow passengers I got to know throughout the day, I finally left Essendon back to the Motel, nothing could have made this day any better than it already was!

Facebook Video!

I went back home and for weeks on end, I couldn’t stop ranting and raving about what an awesome experience I had with the DC-3 flight as well as all the other vintage transport endeavours I did that weekend. I put together a semi-professional video of all my experiences, with some very dry humour. It's titled "My Weekend Meanderings" and for those with Facebook accounts, can view it here

There are three parts:

Part 1 is about my first day in Melbourne, going on old boats and trams
Part 2 is about my trip to Bendigo on the Steam Trains with the 1920s vintage Chevrolet ride
Part 3 is the DC-3 flight in this trip report

Again, just a warning of the very dull and dry humour in the videos, but aside from that, enjoy! In due course I hope to have separate unedited versions of the video I shot on the DC-3.
Old 11th December 2012, 06:45 PM

Other airworthy DC-3s in Australia

My DC-3 fix wasn’t enough! Thankfully, the friendly folks at Shortstop Jet Charter allowed me to visit the following day before I left Melbourne back for the country, and I spent sometime getting some exterior photographs of VH-OVM. She looked good as ever, sunbaking on the tarmac at Essendon enjoying a good reprieve from the previous day’s hard work.

Prior to that, and with permission of Essendon Airport’s Operations Manager, I was also allowed to wonder the tarmac at the airport to inspect two other DC-3s that can be found onsite. Another airworthy DC-3 is VH-TMQ, operated by Australasian Jet, that also operates charters and other scenic flights out of Essendon Airport.

Also on site at Essendon is another airworthy DC-3, VH-SBL, “Captain Jack Curtis”. This aircraft also formerly operated for Dakota National Air out of Bankstown Airport, but has since been transferred to Essendon and has stayed parked ever since, at a part of Essendon Airport with all sorts of other weird aircraft types.

And to add to the collection is my photograph of VH-EAF, of the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society, which is also a regular on the airshow circuit across the East Coast of Australia.

Also for more information on DC-3s across Australia, refer to the following link by The DC-3 in Australasia, which seems to be updated periodically here.

Conclusion and Thanks!

If you made it this far down the Trip Report, than my thanks to you for sticking it through, and really hoped you've enjoyed reading my trip report and journey to King Island, as well as my insight into the DC-3.

Firstly, my big thanks goes to Julie, from Shortstop Jet Charter, who was also the flight attendant on the day. From the moment I made that phone call to book, she was completely accommodating of all my questions and requests as an aviation enthusiast, and she did so with service and pride.

My following thanks go to the flight crew, Captain Mike Falls and First Officer Nick Robertson for their professionalism and character throughout the day, and for also answering all the silly and stupid questions I had on the day while we were all at lunch. And to our local tour guide Adrian Robel, he’s an example of people we need in our regional communities who are proud of their local region and present it in the best of light to visitors from all over!

The one word I use to describe this day was ‘perfect’! Everything about it, the flight, the weather, the food, the scenery, the company, the service, was all perfect. I got to fulfil a desire to have a flight aboard this historic aircraft (And even up the front!) and got to explore a very nice local oasis for the day.

The jumpseat really motivated and inspired me in my flight training. Since then, I have got my Commercial License with all the ratings, and now flying professionally. My next goal is to one day have a go at flying the Gooney Bird…. but that’s a long way off yet and right now, I’m just happy enjoying the start of journey!

For more information on these flights operated by Shortstop Jet Charter, visit their website here

Thank you for reading, hope you enjoyed the Trip Report and Photos, and I hope to present to you all similar journeys in 2013!
Old 11th December 2012, 07:20 PM

Wonderful report Maikha, your recount of the day, and the photos are both stunning!!! Thanks for sharing the experience!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 11th December 2012, 09:21 PM

Default DC-3

Excellent report.

Flew on VH-TMQ on Dec 17 2010. 75 years since the prototype flew in 1935. Sat down the back made dad queasy as he could see down the aisle to the flight deck and the clouds moving from side to side. However I was ok.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/