Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 3rd February 2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
Seems odd to me. I thought Jetstar domestic had a non allocated seating policy. So how could this be true. Or have things changed at Jetstar domestic?
Things changed a long time ago! Jetstar is the only domestic airline that offers free seat selection at the time of booking.
Old 4th February 2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel F View Post
Things changed a long time ago! Jetstar is the only domestic airline that offers free seat selection at the time of booking.
That is good to hear. When did they change this? I thought they only had allocated seating for the international flights!
Old 4th February 2009, 06:19 AM

Almost every morbidly obese person I have ever known has hated the world. They all seem to think they have been dealt the wrong cards in life and blame everyone else for their size and misfortune other than themselves.

The rest of society has a right to be intolerant of them if they believe they are owed something because they are big, and expect it for free when any other normal size passenger would have to pay for that extra seat.

If you send freight, you pay by cubic volume, if you hire a taxi truck you pay per pallet space, if you go to Storage King you pay for the size of the area you need. Same with fat people on planes, you pay for the space you need, you take up more than one seat, you pay for 2 seats in economy, or upgrade to business or first class.
Old 4th February 2009, 07:32 AM

NickN, I agree with your comments, but Jetstar did stuff up twice.

A) Sam was told via the contact centre that she did not need to purchase any extra seats due to the fact the flight had plenty of seats remaining. However on the day of the flight, it was nearly full.

B) When Sam had to buy the 2 seats, the seats that she had to buy were A and F in the sam row.... Sam has said that if it was Seats A and B, she would not have kicked up a fuss.
Old 4th February 2009, 08:10 AM

Sam says alot of things, all she/he had to do was get one of the hostesses onboard to rectify the seating issue and move some pax around. I am sure if she explained she purchased 2 seats coz of his/her size but the counter staff accidentally gave her separate seats the hostess would have no issue with assisting.

Sometimes these people overlook the simple solution in favour of making a fuss. You have to then think to yourself was this just an attention grabbing exercise?
Old 4th February 2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Almost every morbidly obese person I have ever known has hated the world. They all seem to think they have been dealt the wrong cards in life and blame everyone else for their size and misfortune other than themselves.
Wow, So first off you Stereotype all overweight people....

Quote:
The rest of society has a right to be intolerant of them if they believe they are owed something because they are big, and expect it for free when any other normal size passenger would have to pay for that extra seat.
And now your saying that they should get less respect in society.

That has got to be the most asinine post I've seen from you to this day.

Lucky people aren't intolerant of stupid people or you would have a really hard time in this life Nick.....

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 4th February 2009, 08:26 AM

I based my "opinion" (remember it's MY opinion based on people I have known) on my own personal experience.

And I did say that the rest of society has the right to be intolerant of them if they believe they are owed something because they are big, and expect it for free when any other normal size passenger would have to pay for that extra seat.

Large people who don't expect special treatment because of their size are fine with me. It's the ones who think they are owed something due to their size that the rest of society is not afforded that makes me upset.

Quote:
Lucky people aren't intolerant of stupid people or you would have a really hard time in this life Nick.....
I don't mind you arguing your point but personal insults aren't needed.
Old 4th February 2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
That is good to hear. When did they change this? I thought they only had allocated seating for the international flights!
Not sure exactly when... but here's a press release from April 2007 that mentions preallocated seating.

http://www.jetstar.com/~/media/files.../20070410.ashx

EDIT: Was actually earlier than that... October 2006 was when preallocated seating was introduced: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...23-662,00.html

Last edited by Daniel F; 4th February 2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 4th February 2009, 08:30 AM

Default What if ...

What would happen if no-one knew until the passenger presented at boarding that they would not fit in a standard seat, especially on a smaller a/c? Are they offloaded or charged extra like excess baggage or what?

So far as I'm concerned, I'm entitled to have both armrests down and if the person next to me can't fit in that space it's their bad luck. Tall people often travel b/c to get the extra leg room so I don't see why people of large girth cannot do the same.

I don't pay less than adult fare for a 5 year old who wants her own seat, so I don't see why a person who can't fit in a single seat shouldn't have to buy two adjacent seats.

The allocation of non-adjoining seats was obviously a mistake unless the allocation of C and D seats was a check-in staff in-joke!
Old 4th February 2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Almost every morbidly obese person I have ever known has hated the world.
Most large people I know actually tend to be pretty happy-go-lucky folk. But perhaps if she hated herself that would explain the allocation of non-adjoining seats?