Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th May 2016, 05:23 AM

Default AN225 heading to Perth

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere else. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything else reported about it.

Anyway, Perth spotters should get ready. I believe it will be there in a day or two.

Is this it's first visit to Australia?
Old 13th May 2016, 08:30 AM
Prolific Member

Schedule posted here http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=11044

Although subject to change, her flight into India was with some of the undercarriage unretracted.

Photo credit : https://m.facebook.com/contrailspott...35260349825410
Old 13th May 2016, 11:14 AM

Hi Ben, it's the biggest thing in Perth since the America's Cup win in 1983.

Local W A boards have been plastered with information for weeks and a crowd of 40/50,000 is expected to see its arrival. Perth Airport has provided a temporary fenced enclosure for the masses and there will be food vans, port-a-loos etc provided for this special event.

Some diehards are expected to camp outside the Dunreath Drive Viewing Area overnight as once its 400 capacity is reached, that area will be closed.

I for one will NOT be going near the airport as I expect there will be chaos and I pity anyone trying to catch a flight on Sunday morning.

I have a few off airport sites in mind and now we're hearing that it might be a 03 arrival due a changed weather forecast.

Cheers

Bob
Old 16th May 2016, 09:20 AM
Prolific Member

C'mon folks.....where's the photos????
Old 16th May 2016, 10:07 AM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

I didn't get over Perth, however this is the best video I have seen of the Antonov AN225 arrival.

https://t.co/K2c8r9V8cH
Old 18th May 2016, 03:41 PM

I was driving back to Perth from Cervantes and detoured towards the airport. All roads leading to the airport were jammed up. Many people were lining the freeway in all directions, hoping to get a glimpse of the plane. They would've had to wait a long time as the plane was about 2 hours late into Perth. The overcast and occasional showers didn't make photo opportunities any good. I didn't join crowded and headed away from the airports as soon as I saw the traffic jams.

I also arrived at the airport half an hour after the plane departed yesterday (tuesday) morning. Sky News showed live coverage of the plane taking off and repeated it throughout the morning.
Old 18th May 2016, 06:19 PM

Hi Nigel

Unfortunately, I rolled the 03 dice and lost.

The winds were all over the place on Sunday morning and 03 was the active runway when I left home 90 minutes before ETA. Like so many others I had a great spot in Kewdale and I thought I was being very clever until the runway changed to 21 at 1120, about 30 mins before ETA.

Then I lost the second race of the day in the scramble to get to the other end of the airport. I've never seen such a traffic jam around the airport and thousands would have been disappointed expecting a 03 arrival. But at least I saw it flash past my windscreen !

There are many great photos on various W A enthusiasts' sites of both the arrival and early morning departure yesterday so hopefully some will appear here.

Cheers

Bob
Old 18th May 2016, 07:06 PM

Hi again Nigel

Many of the 613 members of the West Australian Airport Spotters Facebook page took great shots of the AN225. I've asked that if any are members of this Board that they share some of their photos. Failing that, hopefully some will appear on airliners.net etc.

Cheers

Bob
Old 18th May 2016, 08:13 PM

Default AN-225

Give me a few days and I'll have some uploaded to flickr.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 18th May 2016, 09:21 PM

Evening all,

A couple of my photos from Perth of the AN225. What a beast of an aircraft she is...

Arriving on Rwy.21...

UR-82060 by Stefan Perkas

Being unloaded...

UR-82060 by Stefan Perkas

My Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53284949@N05/