Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd February 2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
cant fill a 737 then??
Or the 737's are full and the Ebraer fills the need for a few extra travelers each day.
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
I note a Virgin Blue flight bound for Sydney has returned to Melbourne Airport safely after a tyre shredded on take-off..

It said there were only 79 bods on board.

This is a reflection of the problem all airlines have, Monday morning flight between the 2 major Aussies cities and plenty of seats empty. (Monday mornings and Friday afternoon are prime time)

Not good news the loads.

Banjo
It was an E-170 VH-ZHC with 78 seats so it was a near full flight, the 79 would have inc crew which there are five.
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:28 AM
Prolific Member

I love this quote out of the SMH article...
Quote:
Everyone is safe and well ... it went and did a loop, dumped some fuel and landed safely.
So, not only did the pax get an extra landing in their airfare, they then got to do some aero's along the way!

I note this isn't the first time that an E170 has had an issue with tyres in recent times.
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
I love this quote out of the SMH article...
I didn't think they could dump fuel either..
Old 23rd February 2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
This is a reflection of the problem all airlines have, Monday morning flight between the 2 major Aussies cities and plenty of seats empty. (Monday mornings and Friday afternoon are prime time)
I flown on the QF SYD-BNE Monday morning a few weeks back and the 767 was absolutely full and I just managed to squeeze in, so you can't generalise.

sure airline shares are undervalued, but are they the best options for potential investors? no they are not.
Qantas's share price was as high as 6 dollars now at 1.60. Virgin's was around 2.30-2.40 (correct me if I am wrong but I don't think I am that far off) and now down to 20-30 cents. Takes a brave man to buy into them but that is how wealth is created - you think it can't get any lower..

Why is Virgin Blue's share price so low? - the V Australia expansion at this economic downturn is one obvious answer. It doesn't matter what happened 6 months ago, it is the storm clouds brewing over the next 12 months that matters.

Last edited by D Chan; 23rd February 2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 23rd February 2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chan View Post
I flown on the QF SYD-BNE Monday morning a few weeks back and the 767 was absolutely full and I just managed to squeeze in
I have flown BNE-SYD-BNE twice in the last fortnight (7/2 and 14/2). Our 767's on both BNE-SYD sectors departed with full J class cabins and only a handful of Y seats vacant.

The return SYD-BNE's were both on Saturday evening 737-400's and the loads were moderate on the 7th and light on the 14th.

And I dare say things were no different over at Virgin Blue on both weekends.

If we're looking to slam either carrier for not carrying sufficient "bot-botts on seats" I'm sure we can find plenty of city pairs to support the slandering of both major airline groups.

Times ARE tough but plenty of people are still travelling. As I've said in other posts, both airlines should be looking towards sustainable pricing structures with less emphasis on price leading fares simply to grab the headlines. Both Qantas and Virgin Blue offer the Australian travelling public excellent choices when it comes to air travel, let's hope both ride out the current conditions and emerge as viable carriers.
Old 23rd February 2009, 09:40 PM

I believe both carriers are fairly adaptable in terms of find the suitable aircraft that would minimise the amount of empty seats and thus the cost of flying them empty.

I recently flew from SYD to BNE with QF (on 7/2) which was originally scheduled to be a B763 when I booked the flights. Sometime later, I noticed the flight has been downgraded to a B73H which was fine as I would imagine there aren't that wouldn't be that many people travelling on a Saturday afternoon. When I arrived at the gate to board, I was even more surprised when our flight is actually going to be operated by a B734.

In the end, there was 143 pax on board which would justify the B734/B73H but perhaps not the B763.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Murray
If we're looking to slam either carrier for not carrying sufficient "bot-botts on seats" I'm sure we can find plenty of city pairs to support the slandering of both major airline groups.
A good example I could think of is SYD-CBR, especially for QF.

None
Old 23rd February 2009, 09:44 PM

It would seem it's only a matter of time before someone is flushed out to buy either a large chunk or the whole of Virgin Blue. Whilst it might be hard to get credit and times are tough, at current prices it isn't a lot of money in the scheme of things. A cashed-up investor could come in, dump some aircraft, some routes, use the proceeds to pay down debt. A possibility would be to do it in co-operation with Sir Richard and delist the company. Buy the company back at 50 cents per share, then flog-it back to the market in 5 years time at $2.50 per share!

I seem to have read that REX has positioned itself with a shareholding in VB with the view that the share price doesn't reflect break-up value.