Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th January 2012, 05:19 AM

Location: South Western Sydney under the approach path of YBSK

Currently watching channel 10 and the media is just EXAGERATING it! One passenger claimed a person's head went through a overhead locker!
Old 9th January 2012, 07:39 AM

Typical people whinging about no communication for a few minutes after the incident, clearly they have never heard of "Aviate, Navigate, Communicate".

EDIT: Just read another story where a passenger seemed to be annoyed about the fact that the captain didn't warn them of the turbulence coming.....

Last edited by Jakef; 9th January 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 9th January 2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander.L View Post
Currently watching channel 10 and the media is just EXAGERATING it! One passenger claimed a person's head went through a overhead locker!
Not only that, the news anchor reported the flight had diverted to Singapore... Pretty sure the destination was Singapore so not sure how it diverted...

C172 GFPT Student
Aviation Enthusiast
Sydney, Australia
Old 9th January 2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander.L View Post
Oh my, I just saw that report on the 5pm News, at least it was balanced at the end by rational passengers who praised the crew.
Old 9th January 2012, 05:11 PM

Once again this should of been a non event. I'm surprised they haven't mentioned the runway incursion from the other day....something potentially much more dangerous than some turbulence.
Old 9th January 2012, 08:21 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Once again this should have been a non event
With 7 people actually injured, I think it's fair to say it was an event.

Without wanting to sound like I'm trying to downgrade the seriousness of a runway incursion, was anyone injured there? That might explain a bit of why one made the media and the other one didn't.
Old 9th January 2012, 09:06 PM

I'm on Nigel's side.

Both are pretty serious events in aviation these days. The runway incursion was a potentialy serious situation but it was resolved quite quickly and everyone involved acted quickly and efficiently. All the flights involved only had slight delays too at the most.

Serveral people getting injured on a Qantas flight is pretty big news in my opinion, especially when a mans head goes through a overhead locker...
Old 10th January 2012, 01:37 AM

Another article - http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...108-1ppyh.html

Sounds like this reported account is possibly from Twitter user http://twitter.com/SimonSChan
Old 10th January 2012, 11:37 AM

Inside source says one pax was "milking it" for all it's worth, while the other five injuries appeared fine and will require no further treatment.

Aircraft was approaching a bank of high sirrus clound over Kolkata and pilot turned seat belt signs on but not every one made it back to their seats on time.
Old 10th January 2012, 11:54 AM

I don't deny that this is some type of incident but this guy is a bit of a drama queen if you ask me. Turbulence happen all the time and I remember having the same deal happen flying back from Bali on the old 747 classic VH-EBA. All those who were injured were not wearing a seat belt whilst seated,and it seems that is what had partially gone on here. I understand that if you need to get up,your belt must be removed,but how many people remove it whilst seated despite a strong suggestion from the crew at the start of every flight to keep it fastened while in your seat in case something like this occurs.

Just makes me mad

Regards
Jim