Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 22nd June 2008, 11:54 AM

From the US Department of State website regarding the Visa Waiver Programme

Quote:
Q: Can a VWP applicant for Admission Be Readmitted To the United States Follwing a Short Trip To an Adjacent Island, Canada, or Mexico?

A: Generally, VWP applicants admitted under the VWP may be readmitted to the United States after a departure to Canada or Mexico or adjacent islands for the balance of their original admission period. This is provided they are otherwise admissible and meet all the conditions of the VWP, with the exception of arrival on a signatory carrier, in which case the inspecting officers have the discretion to grant the applicants entirely new periods of admission.
The VWP applicant is admissible and may be readmitted to the United States under the VWP after a departure to Canada or Mexico or adjacent islands provided the person:

Can identify an authorized period of admission that has not expired,
Plans to depart the United States prior to the expiration date of their period of admission,
Presents valid, unexpired passports which reflect admission to the United States under the VWP, and
Continues to meet all criteria set forth in 8 CFR 217 and section 217 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (Act), with the exception of arrival on a signatory carrier.
Old 22nd June 2008, 01:33 PM

Hi David,
From all the info I read on line at the time , you cannot stay longer than 90 days from the date that is stamped in your passport on arrival into the US. You can go back and forth to Canada / Mexico/ Caribbean and re enter the US providing you are still within the original 90 days as per the date in your passport. Speaking with US Immigration officials by phone while in the US I was told differently !Won't push my luck like that again.
Old 22nd June 2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E View Post
Hi David,
From all the info I read on line at the time , you cannot stay longer than 90 days from the date that is stamped in your passport on arrival into the US. You can go back and forth to Canada / Mexico/ Caribbean and re enter the US providing you are still within the original 90 days as per the date in your passport. Speaking with US Immigration officials by phone while in the US I was told differently !Won't push my luck like that again.
I was flying from Hong Kong to Toronto last June on CX. We made a refuelling stop in Anchorage. Every passenger had to disembark from the plane, and non Canadian passport holders had their photo and fingerprint taken. Passport details were also entered into the US database, but no stamp was given in the passport. Does that mean my 90 days would not have started at that time, even though I have technically stepped on US soil?
Old 22nd June 2008, 07:17 PM

David, that is correct with the exception noted in the information which I quoted.

Quote:
with the exception of arrival on a signatory carrier, in which case the inspecting officers have the discretion to grant the applicants entirely new periods of admission

If you cross the border by land, then no extension is permissible. However if you re-enter by air on a "signatory carrier", then it is at the discretion of the inspecting officer.

In order to qualify for the Visa Waiver programme, you must enter the
US on a signatory carrier when you first arrive there.