Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 1st February 2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony T View Post
Connection in LAX with Alaskan
A tad off-topic, but any reason why VA would codeshare with Alaskan? I know Alaskan has a codeshare agreement with American Airlines, who in-turn have a codeshare with Qantas. I'd imagine a more fitting codeshare for SEA would be Virgin America (being part of the 'Virgin' family and also being located side-by-side at LAX).

Off-topic even further... would it be possible for VA to codeshare with more than one American domestic carrier, or much wiser to go with one large partner only?
(eg: having Virgin America codeshare to SEA, SFO and LAS, but then also having DL/NW codeshare for the rest of the US continent)
Old 1st February 2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameel Kumar View Post
I'd imagine a more fitting codeshare for SEA would be Virgin America (being part of the 'Virgin' family and also being located side-by-side at LAX).
Virgin America just don't have the route network, frequencies and therefore the reach yet. VA pax will want more on-travel options than those currently offered by VX.

Quote:
Off-topic even further... would it be possible for VA to codeshare with more than one American domestic carrier, or much wiser to go with one large partner only?
They can codeshare with multiple partners as long as those partners don't overlap too much or aren't direct competitiors. Most codeshares are agreed to on a route-by-route basis, rather than on a whole-of-airline approach.

Cheers
Old 1st February 2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post
Virgin America just don't have the route network, frequencies and therefore the reach yet. VA pax will want more on-travel options than those currently offered by VX.
Yeah, that's the key drawback with codesharing with VX, but if it is done on a route-by-route basis, then there are a few compelling reasons for VA to be open to the idea of codesharing with VX on certain routes.

Quote:
They can codeshare with multiple partners as long as those partners don't overlap too much or aren't direct competitiors. Most codeshares are agreed to on a route-by-route basis, rather than on a whole-of-airline approach.
Thanks for explaining that Andrew.

Last edited by Shameel Kumar; 1st February 2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 1st February 2009, 11:00 AM

V Australia are not codesharing with Alaska to Seattle, it is available as a connecting flight with the AS code.