Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting Weekend 2014

Old 14th March 2014, 03:59 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Default Welcome - Sydney Airport Spotting Weekend 2014 - CONFIRMED - All the details here!

Hello all,

The Sydney Airport Spotting Weekend is here again!
Friday 4th - Saturday 5th April, 2014

These gatherings once began back in 1999 and were organised by a collective group of keen aviation enthusiasts, of whom many are still with us today. Over the years, the weekends have grown larger, along with attendee numbers, more exciting activities to become involved in, and of course more and more friendships have been created.

The goal of the weekend is to enable an opportunity to introduce new people to our hobby, put faces to familiar names and catch up with people we may not often see, but rather only communicate with, "online".

It’s an event held right alongside the Sydney Airport Runways attracting people from all over Australia and New Zealand with the one common interest of Aviation. Aircraft Spotters, Aviation Enthusiasts, Photographers, Pilots, Engineers, aspiring children, and many more attend each year in an attempt to get as close to the action as possible, and have lots of fun along the way.

This will be our 10th Spotting Weekend in Sydney, and to celebrate such a milestone, we've teamed up with Sydney Airport Corporation Limited to put on a weekend you will not forget!

This year Sydney Airport will be offering two airfield tours that allow photography. Packed in between will also be an afternoon Plane Spotting session along with an Aviation Trivia contest all from a high vantage point. SACL is making available their corporate office rooftop at the airport which has an impressive 180 degree runway view to host proceedings.

Both airfield tours will include a reasonable amount of time on the airfield to photograph aircraft landings and take-offs and will also consist of a tour around the inside perimeter fence.

This forum's Spotting Weekends in the past have collectively maintained a generous following over the years of hard-core enthusiasts whereby our membership kindles the feeling of belonging to a credible group that maintains integrity in the industry for professionalism and reliable information.

We're very lucky and sincerely appreciate that Sydney Airport kindly recognise our existence, experience, enthusiasm, the impact and relationships YSSY Forum have developed in the aviation community over the years and hopefully continue to do so. In lieu of this, SACL have afforded our YSSY Forum members exclusive access to one of the airfield tours; that being on Saturday morning 5th April. This tour will be specifically only available for active contributors of YSSY Forum over the past 12 months who also maintain current tenure in excess of 6 months from before the 5th April 2014.

Together, we're also excited to announce that Canon Australia will be present during the afternoon's spotting event demonstrating some new products, where you'll also have the exciting opportunity to bang your canon camera body onto the back of various super telephoto lenses available for use during the session.

After Canon’s product demonstrations, Sydney Airport and YSSY Forum will offer light refreshments and finger food. We also strongly recommend that you take time out to enter the Aviation Trivia Competition. Several stakeholders have offered great experiences that will be raffled after Saturday’s airfield tour as lucky door prizes and as part of the Trivia Competition in the evening. Not an event to be missed, there's some amazing one-time only experiences up for grabs.

It is important to remember, this is the second time that collaboration with SACL for an event of this kind has taken place, and we really appreciate the drive and enthusiasm of Anne Walker on behalf of Sydney Airport to help bring this event alive and to offer such exciting experiences so seldom available. A lot of time and effort behind the scenes goes into pulling these events together whereby email trails of approvals and planning all come into play.

Please take note of the particulars relating to the weekend's events below:

Available Airside Tours

• Friday, 4 April 2014 – 14:00 – 16:30 (Open to the public)
  • Saturday, 5 April 2014 – 06:30 – 09:00 (Exclusive to YSSY Forum Members only. More information below)
Airfield registration Conditions
  • Each airside tour is strictly limited to 32 adult seats.
  • Airfield participants must be 18 years or older.
  • Identification must be brought on the day.
  • Enclosed shoes only, no flip flops.
  • Participation in the tour will be subject to fulfilling the criteria to receive a VIC pass. (Airfield access requirement)
Costing
  • Sydney Airport will be covering the cost of both airfield tours.
  • YSSY Forum and Sydney Airport will co-fund catering and beverages for all events.
Weather Conditions

The weekend's events will go ahead in all weather conditions except in extreme storms (lighting and thunder).

What to bring
  • For photography on the airfield, you will only require short lenses. Pack appropriately. Your equipment will be subject to security screening.
  • For photography on the rooftop you may bring your tripod.
  • Bring your hat, sunscreen and sunglasses.
  • Photo identification (driver’s license / passport).
Accommodation

If you require accommodation over the weekend we recommend using the onsite hotel. For more information visit Rydges Hotel specific Aviation Enthusiasts package here [link].

Important
  • If selected, you may only participate in one Airfield Tour and selection will be random based on your indicated availability at time of registration.
  • The Saturday morning tour is only available for active contributors of YSSY Forum (who have posted) within the past 12 months, who also maintain current tenure in excess of 6 months from before the 5th April 2014.
  • Anyone may register and attend the afternoon Spotting and Trivia Competition on the SACL corporate office rooftop. All ages are permitted. No alcohol will be served.
  • Parking is available at the International Terminal at normal rates. We suggest car pooling, train or bus.
  • Toilet facilities are available at the afternoon Spotting and Trivia Competition, however will not be available during the Airfield Tours.
Register your Interest

To guarantee each of you have an equal chance to go airside, please register your interest for either session on the following web page [link].

Registrations are OPEN now, and will close on Friday, 21 March 9am.

On Friday, 21 March at 10am names will be drawn out at random. Participants will be notified and provided with the required documentation to be completed and returned by Tuesday, 1 April at 10am.
Should a participant not provide the required documentation within that time period, waitlisted applicants will be called upon.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

FRIDAY, 4 APRIL 2014

12:00 - 13:30
Meet and Greet. Lunch - St George Rowers Club

14:00
Meet at Sydney Airport Media Centre for sign in prior to airfield tour (If you are late, your seat may be cancelled)

14:30 - 16:30
Airfield tour to commence from Gate25 for 2 hours

16:30 - 19:30
SACL Rooftop Evening Event
- Unique high vantage point photography experience
- Canon Australia Product Demonstrations
- Aviation Trivia Contest
- Lucky Door Prizes
- Light finger food and refreshments

19:30
End of Day One

SATURDAY, 5 APRIL 2014

06:00
Meet at Sydney Airport Media Centre for sign in prior to airfield tour (If you are late, your seat may be cancelled)

06:30 - 09:00
Airfield tour to commence from Gate25 for 2.5 hours

09:30 - 10:00
Airport Watch Program held by AFP

In conclusion...

Please go ahead and register your details and good luck to all those eager for a seat on the airfield tours. Naturally, not everyone can be selected, but I encourage you all to participate in the evening gathering from 4.30pm on the Friday, as it promises to be a fun-filled afternoon of spotting, trivia, demonstration along with food and refreshments all from an amazing vantage point.

We've also conveniently left most of Saturday and Sunday open for your own plane spotting interests where you might even enjoy the company of new found friends.

I'm already aware of the many regulars who will once again return to YSSY for this year’s event, and I look forward to meeting many more of you, in particular those newer members who have yet to partake in one of the many successful Sydney Airport Message Board events.

So, for those of you who have never been along to a Spotting Weekend in the past, or even to one of our Forum gatherings at local restaurants, let me warmly welcome you to join in and come along to Sydney Airport during 4th -5th April 2014.

I look forward to seeing you in person in April.

Cheers,
Kurt.
Old 14th March 2014, 04:12 PM

Thumbs up

How exciting. This is a great news for the community.
I hope to be selected this time around, since I missed out on the previous gathering, due to not meeting the forum's minimum length of 6 months of registration.

Thank you Kurt and the SCAL team, especially Anne Walker for the opportunity.

Should be a great event and one to look forward to.

Regards,
Hendra
Old 14th March 2014, 05:53 PM

Thanks Kurt, all registered.

Good to see you today again.
Old 14th March 2014, 06:03 PM

Unreal, Cheers Kurt, just registered then. Hopefully i'll be lucky enough to attend my 1st proper Spotters Weekend
Old 14th March 2014, 07:36 PM

Thanks Kurt - I have also registered, good luck to everyone in the draw and I am sure everyone who can make it will enjoy the activities.
Old 14th March 2014, 08:08 PM

reckon I might have to get my ***** up to Sydney for this! good work Amsy.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 14th March 2014, 08:10 PM

Sweet. See you down there.
Old 14th March 2014, 10:04 PM

Well done to Kurt and team as well the good folk at SACL for organising what will be a fantastic event.

I will be doing my best to be there, providing the work roster allows it, so once I am back there on Monday to check for those dates, I will be registering for the times I am available.

For me, I sincerely hope it all works out so I can have the opportunity to catch up with some of you fine folk on this board.

Cheers
Jim
Old 14th March 2014, 10:23 PM

I hope to be there! Sounds like a great weekend!
24/1/24 JQ724 (YXS)
26/1/24 QF1913 (UYY)
20/1/24 QF1451 (LQM)
19/1/24 QF1442 (QOR)
7/1/24 QF1530 (YQW)
7/1/24 JQ740 (YXQ)
Old 15th March 2014, 10:39 AM

Fantastic news! The last airfield tour was an awesome experience and I'm sure this year's events will be no different. Well done to the team for making this possible.