Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th May 2015, 09:49 PM

Default YSSY Usable Spotting Locations - Decreasing?

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere already. As I usually go spotting at first light I don't often bump into you guys, so don't have a chance to ask questions on where is good to go!

To me, it seems like Shep's Mound, Lady Robinson Beach, Foreshore Road and Swamp Road are now the only good spots. Am I wrong? I hope so!

I visited Barton Park Hill last year and it seemed to be underwhelming as the view to 07/25 was blocked by a raised roadway, and at Tempe Dog Park today, you'd need a very tall ladder to see over the tops of the trees. Someone mentioned on another post that there is a path from it but I couldn't see an entrance... Also at Swamp Road, I've seen people seemingly disappear at the fence on the top of the hill - am I missing something?

Even the vegetation at Lady Robinson Beach seems to have grown massively; one of the curious things I always wanted to know is if anyone had any trouble going right up to the fence?

Thanks all,

Terence.
Old 17th May 2015, 10:03 PM

Terrence, you can get right up next to the fence at the beach. Just remember to keep any ladders 3m back if you are using a ladder after taking your shot..

Photos at: http://flickr.com/kieran380747 and https://www.facebook.com/Windsweptaviation/

Carriers flown: QF, VA, EK, NZ, BA, KA, CX, AS, BE, JQ, TR, SK, LH
Types flown: 744, 738, 737, 743, A380, A340, DH8, A320, ERJ190, 736
Old 22nd May 2015, 07:32 PM

I'm getting the feeling that long lenses are now starting to become the norm around the airport. We are loosing ground bit by bit.
Old 2nd November 2015, 05:56 AM

Small bump to this thread.........I have seen all the construction sheds and equipment in front of the mound in recent times. Does this mean that getting a shot of the aircraft (unless they rotate on 34L by the M5) is near impossible?
Old 2nd November 2015, 08:21 AM

Won't be long before the whole tower mound / bus & rental car sites are redeveloped and will be but a memory... Works are well in advance for what i'm assuming are new standoff bays near the southern end of the long term car park. (see attached photo)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mound.jpg (61.7 KB, 65 views)
Old 2nd November 2015, 08:36 AM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

From what I have heard, the Federal Government has told the SACL to install an electric fence around the complete perimeter of the airport. Work already appears to be underway along the DOM5 and DOM6 boundary.
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:38 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJ View Post
Won't be long before the whole tower mound / bus & rental car sites are redeveloped and will be but a memory... Works are well in advance for what i'm assuming are new standoff bays near the southern end of the long term car park. (see attached photo)
There are 2 Code E (or up to 5 Code C) stand-off bays being developed there, with entry off Twy Charlie via an extension of Twy Kilo. I believe they may come online sometime around mid-December.
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:54 AM

Nice... Thanks for the update Nigel.
Old 2nd November 2015, 01:24 PM

If someone could post a few pics of the rubbish thats impeding the view at sheps mound would be appreciated!

Regards
Brian Wilkes
Old 2nd November 2015, 02:34 PM
Prolific Member

Brian, it's just site sheds using the compound at the bottom of Shep's Mound. I'd presume they'll be there for the duration of the perimeter fence upgrade works that Grahame mentioned. Looking south from Shep's Mound, there's the line of casuarina trees blocking much/most of the view towards the 34L threshold, but they've been growing there for years.