Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th September 2011, 01:40 PM

With thanks to the reassurance provided in this thread, I kept my original seat selection and last week flew in the first class cabin of QF8, BNE-SYD.

Being a domestic leg and a short flight I believe 'first class' is treated as pretty much as Business class. Not that I required any fancy treatment, however was just curious to see what travel was like at the pointy end of the jumbo.

Would be interested to see if there are any differences in 'treatment/services' on the longer SYD-PER domestic flight if one had a seat in the F cabin on a 4-class jumbo.

Other then the seat itself, the only main differences I noticed between first class and economy on this flight were the offering of a beverage prior to take-off, as well as the use of actual silverware cutlery. Perhaps I was expecting too much when thinking the quality of the breakfast meal would be a little 'better' then what is served in economy, however I didn't feel that was the case on this flight.

Regardless, I enjoyed the experience however do not really think the $700 ticket and service that comes with it, was that much better then the $110 I could have paid for an economy class ticket on the same flight. Although at a discount price I would do it again.

First class on a longhaul flight does sound a little more comfortable, although I still struggle to see how anyone can justify spending that much money on a first class ticket on any kind of regular occurrence for an international flight (Emirates A380 and their onboard showers may be the exception).

Regarding dress code, I spoke with the cabin crew about my attire and as confirmed previously in this thread, its importance is somewhat a thing of the past.
I was told my appearance was "totally acceptable" and there were other adult passengers in the same cabin who were wearing jeans with sneakers and polo shirts. I was glad to see there is not a great emphasis on dress code anymore.

I recommend the flight to others, who like me could never afford a first class ticket on an international flight, but would like to try the experience on its domestic leg.
My thanks again and regards.

Last edited by Adam.S; 7th September 2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 8th September 2011, 11:04 PM

Adam, you seem confused. You were in Business Class. First, as a product, is not sold on SYD-DFW-BNE-SYD. The customers in the Business cabins were served an identical product to you. You were not a First Class customer.

If you happened to score an A Zone (First) seat on a 4-class 744 on SYD-PER-SYD (or any sector where First is not sold), you would experience the same service as every other Business customer.

Sometimes Business cabins are sold as Prem Y, and Prem Y as Economy. It does not affect the soft product you paid to recieve. It is called a 'cosmetic configuration'. This is where the zones/cabins are sold as another class due to aircraft substitution or availability (4 class aircraft on 3 class or 2 class route).
Old 9th September 2011, 08:28 AM

Gareth,

You might want to reread from the beginning of the thread [paying attention to the thread title] and also be a little less patronising!
Old 9th September 2011, 08:32 AM

Thanks Gareth, that does makes sense.

Cheers
Old 9th September 2011, 09:07 AM

Sitting in the Business Class Lounge in Syd. Can see OJD sitting at Gate 10 waiting for QF581 to Per. Have seats 12J & K upper deck. Rainy morning in Syd.
Old 9th September 2011, 04:22 PM

Steve, you may wish to take your own advice. Please do not assume that I was being patronising or that I had ill intention. I had read the whole thread. I wanted to make it clear - there seemed to be confusion. I apologise to Adam if he felt I was being patronising and ask that you leave moderating to the moderators. Cheers.