Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th September 2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Johnson View Post
no pilot is worth $0.5M.

Pilot's are worth every cent they are paid. Continuation of their career subject to passing the next medical.
Old 10th September 2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Last time I checked pilots don't have to go through anywhere near the amount of s#*t that has been personally leveled at Alan Joyce

That's probably true , but there again he does earn 10X their annual salary ... I'll have some of that s#*t piled on me for his kind of renumeration . He should try living on 50K a year , be limited to 2.5% pay rise and have no avenue to negotiate like me . My income doesn't even keep on par with the CPI index ...

Dave C
Old 10th September 2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zweck View Post
Pilot's are worth every cent they are paid. Continuation of their career subject to passing the next medical.
What about Ambulance Paramedic,s and ER Nurse,s they are worth more than what they get paid which is peanuts compared to what pilots get.Also you dont hear them crying about pay and there job is alot more stressful as well.
Old 10th September 2011, 02:34 PM

Yes, you do hear them complaining about pay. Thats why they've threatened, and been, on strike within the last two years!

You might also care to note that the Qantas pilots are not complaining about pay. Far from it.

And yes, Ambos and Nurses do deserve high pay... but, just like the airline industry, people are looking for the cheapest possible outcome while others try to make obscene profits.

I'm also not sure when getting the proverbial thrown at you was part of the criteria for how much you get paid, nor when 0.5mil became the default standard for how much a pilot gets paid.
Old 10th September 2011, 02:50 PM

I agree Robert. Pilots are skilled labour and they spent a lot of efforts into learning how to fly a plane and a brave heart to encournter any possible dangers in the sky.

However, a CEO like AJ can simply pass a few exams at uni for his Business course, know how to communicate and flirt with his boss well and he can have his CEO job. What he is doing is completely selfish as he wants the company to cut off that fat tail so that he can have his options exercised without considering social responsibility, not only the welfare of the pilots, but also the welfare of the citizens of Australia to have a fair Australian provider to give them a lift to destinations that most Australians are going. He does not deserve that payroll package.

Therefore I would sincerely encourage tall Qantas and Jetstar staff, including pilots, flight attendents, ground staff and engineers to consdie prolonged and extended industrial action until QF Management cancels the job loss plan.

CX138 SYD-HKG
CX101 HKG-SYD
Old 10th September 2011, 07:00 PM

It's nice to see that this whole argument has been simplified into a battle between the skilled brave hearts, and the selfish, irresponsible flirt with no social conscience.
Old 11th September 2011, 11:21 AM

Arthur, if it was that easy to get a CEO job at one of Australia's biggest companies then why isn't everyone, yourself including a CEO?
Old 11th September 2011, 11:29 AM

Arthur what Joyce is doing is what he is being paid to do which is to run a company called Qantas Airways Limited. He and the board have no social responsibility to their staff or the citizens of Australia, they are there to run the company and give return on the massive sums of money that the investors of Qantas has put into the company.

The company is a group of airlines not a benevolent society for the staff.
Old 11th September 2011, 04:41 PM

It is for the shareholders to say if he is doing a good or a bad job, clearly they think the direction he and the other board members are taking the company is right.

As for what pilots and other staff get paid is irrelevant. You may note in all my threads I have never said what they get is right or wrong, neither have I said what Joyce gets is right or wrong. The only thing I have ever said is Qantas costs far too much to run compared to it's competitors both within Australia and overseas.

Last edited by Ash W; 11th September 2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11th September 2011, 04:55 PM

Ash,

Do you really think the shareholders think that they're doing a good job?

So far, while Joyce has been at the helm/heavily involved, Jetstar Asia has been set up, which has only just, for the first time, broken even. Jetstar Pacific has been established, which has caused losses and had its executives under investigation by the local government. Similarly, under his leadership Qantas has been required to pay significant fines for engaging in cartel behaviour, which will make the 'loss' by QF International seem like pocket change.

There has been an announcement of a grand revitalisation of QF International, which involved reducing aircraft and changing nothing. There has been an announcement of a grand new airline that will be established in Asia. Except so far there is no detail other than the use of the A320. There hasn't even been a partner named, despite the fact the partner will need to be a majority investor.

The share price is rock bottom, and no dividends are being paid despite the company making good profits and holding an incredible amount of cash reserves on the books.

We don't have long to wait to find out just how much the shareholders appreciate the board's efforts. Although I fancy if the shareholding community believed a good job was being done, the share price wouldn't be $1.50.