Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 25th March 2009, 08:28 AM

Those are some hairy landings. Explains alot re: the crash.
Old 25th March 2009, 07:04 PM

I would be interested to know how prone Narita is to strong winds. When I flew there a couple of years ago there were certainly very strong winds as we approached. I love flying and usually feel completely safe, but I have to say it was a rather unsettlibg experience. A colleague of mine recalled when he flew in to Narita that the buffetting that his plane received on approach was so strong that he had to brace his feet against the wall in front of him - and he is a very frequent flyer. I know that Japan is open to typhoons at certain times of the year, but some of these occurances were wel outside of typhoon season.
Old 27th March 2009, 03:34 PM

RIP to the pilots.

Question? Why wasn't a go around undertaken i wonder? Would have made sense considering the strong winds. I don't mean to be rude in any respect but if I was the pilot, I would have conducted a go around as the footage shows the plane coming down quite quickly. Like to listen to other peoples point of views on it!
Old 27th March 2009, 06:12 PM

Jayden, heavy jets aren't like light aircraft. They do not respond immediately.

There were strong winds, but we don't know how they affected the aircraft, we were not in the flight deck.

It is very easy to sit and say "I would have gone around", but when you're barrelling along the runway at 300kph, you'll realise its not as easy as it looks. The crew may well have tried to initiate a go around - we'll have to wait and see.

A go around from 20ft can easily contact the runway during the go around, as inertia has the aircraft continue down despite the high thrust.
Old 27th March 2009, 06:28 PM

It is always possible, and it is further complicated by the LSAS system, but that is something to wait for the report.

And Jayden, I thought I'd add an example of the inertia.

This is a video from a board member of a 767 go around in Sydney. The 767 is a lightweight compared to an MD11, and is a veritable rocketship, and yet it still takes a long time to "get going".

767 Go Around

The aircraft flies slightly out of frame, but you'll see the go around is initiated by the 6:48 mark. Compare the height to that at the 6:52 mark.
Old 27th March 2009, 09:17 PM

Yeh thats understandable but what im trying to get at is, why couldn't they have tried earlier in the approach for a go around. I have seen planes at YSSY glide in to land but from what i saw, it looked to be descending too quickly rather then gliding. IF the plane was coming in too fast or descending to quickly, wouldnt it be best to try a go around earlier in the approach & get yourself set up again. The video in my opinion shows the MD-11 descending too quickly.
Old 28th March 2009, 03:53 AM

From the video I've seen, the approach doesn't seem unreasonable at all until the bounce... maybe you have seen different footage to me.

I agree that if, earlier on in the approach, the rate of descent is too high you would go around, but I haven't seen any footage that suggests that is the case here.

The FDR will contain all of that data, so we'll wait and see.
Old 15th May 2009, 11:18 AM

Have any reports or updates been released about this incident yet? I don't know where to search/look for them?

Gerard