Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 1st March 2015, 02:58 PM
Prolific Member

The Ch7 video shows crew training including approach (I Think?)

The CVR doesn't need to be removed as it can be disabled by a breaker. Can anyone confirm ?
Old 1st March 2015, 03:32 PM

Qantas is holding a media briefing on the behind the scenes preparations regarding the flight of VH-OJA by Captain Mike Galvin, Head of Flying Operations, Qantas Airlines and Captain Greg Matthews, Captain in Command for the flight next Thursday 5 March at 11:00am. I managed to score myself an invite as during last week Qantas, via twitter, gave away 10 passes to the public to attend. I think they all went in about 5 minutes! Not sure how much of a run the briefing will get in the mainstream media but I will certainly try and report back after the event. Really looking forward to it. In the meantime I am trying to replicate the flight myself in Flight Sim with mixed results!
Old 2nd March 2015, 03:23 PM
Prolific Member

http://www.shellharbour.nsw.gov.au/d...x?WebPage=1766

Shellharbour Council briefing on road closures and where the public will be restricted from viewing the landing (Tongarra Road)
Old 3rd March 2015, 09:51 AM
Prolific Member

For those who are considering going to YWOL for the arrival, be advised that there are going to restrictions on where the public will be able to view the event from fencelines. The Illawarra Highway/Princes Highway intersection at the northern end will apparently be off limits, as will the Haywards Bay bridge near the Shell/Hungry Jacks and Tongarra Road at the southern end of Rwy 16/34.

One of the best viewing areas for seeing the arrival will most likely be the BMX track off Croom Road. I'd suggest getting there early as parking may be fairly limited and I'd expect a large crowd.

From the BMX track, the view to the north looks like this on a Canon EOS 7D (1.6X crop factor)...

100mm lens...

200mm lens...

400mm lens...

Looking at these images, I hope the Council gives the runway markings a lick of paint before Sunday!!!
Old 3rd March 2015, 10:28 AM

Thanks for all the updates Nigel!

Quick check on BoM website shows 19-26 degrees, mostly sunny, 20% chance of a shower and light winds becoming NNE 15-20kph during the day.
Old 3rd March 2015, 10:44 AM

So there's no possibility of getting on the western side of the airport anywhere Nige?? I know the eastern side will be a bust.

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 3rd March 2015, 11:06 AM
Prolific Member

Not sure Stephen. There's been no mention of Croome Lane being closed as yet, and from the landscape business there that backs on to the airport the view might be pretty good, although you'll be facing the sun.

From where the shots above were taken, the sun will be to the right and slightly behind you on the morning of the 8th, so the nose should be bathed in good light and at that time of day there'll hopefully be little to no heat haze.

Here's how the sunrise will look relative to the runway. By 0750 it should have moved approximately 6-7 degrees further north, so still be at ~90 degrees to the runway alignment.

Last edited by Nigel C; 3rd March 2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 3rd March 2015, 11:24 AM
Prolific Member

From Croome Lane and the landscaping supply place, here's the relative position of the sun at sunrise. Again, allow for approx 6-7 degrees to the north for the suns position at 0750.

Old 4th March 2015, 01:15 PM
Prolific Member

The airspace restrictions have been announced, and this includes an 8Nm radius around YWOL, SFC-4500 feet! This doesn't look good for the local airport operators who may have benefited from the arrival.
Old 4th March 2015, 02:52 PM

Geeez they are making it hard. Over blown over zealous over protective.

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?