Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 8th April 2016, 04:11 PM

Default Qantas 744 QFA 15 return April 4 2016

I saw this comment in the Flightaware "news" today, and wondered if the comments were true? Some of their news a bit dodgy!! Anyway, if correct, what happened, did the crew get a weather update?

A check of FR24 shows VH-OEG not VH-OEJ, and no turn around??

The report..........
"Yeas Qantas seem to be having many problems with these A380'S yet half of this is hushed up there have being reports not going out to the Media about the other incident involving a Qantas 747-438 VH-OEJ at YBBN/BNE As it returned after one hours out from Brisbane as QFA15 to KLAX not enough fuel was on board. Then it finally left one hour later. Hushed up. this was on 4th April 2016"
Old 8th April 2016, 04:21 PM
Prolific Member

Hushed up, more likely non event, with the commentator not really across possible operational issues. When you have a flight that goes beyond the validity of TTF forecasts (3 hours) because of its duration, you can run into issues as the 30 hour TAF validity is not exactly allowing for highly accurate forecasts.

If a TTF/TAF suddenly changes to one that requires more holding fuel, it would be prudent to return and put more on. I am guessing that is what likely happened.
Old 9th April 2016, 08:55 AM

In most parts of the world to my knowledge, once you get airborne, your new alternate requirements become the landing minima at the destination airport.

A TTF though on an LA flight is going to be completely irrelevant until the last 3hrs of the flight anyway.

Mick
Old 9th April 2016, 10:24 AM

That's not true Mick. If the airfield requires an alternate (below ALTERNATE criteria) it requires an alternate. What you are talking about is ADEQUATE criteria, which pertains to ETOPS operations. In that case you are unlikely to use the airfield anyway.

Again, Alternate criteria never changes. If the airfield requires an Alternate, you must carry the fuel for an alternate all the way to landing, if you don't you have a fuel emergency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 9th April 2016, 10:29 AM

I think that's what I'm mixed up with Dave. Thinking EDTO.

Still, given the length of the flight, I'm surprised that they couldn't just recalculate enroute and then have sufficient fuel for an alternate.

Mick
Old 9th April 2016, 05:55 PM

Or head to HNL or ONT until a TTF comes out.
Old 9th April 2016, 05:57 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusef D View Post
Or head to HNL or ONT until a TTF comes out.
Huh?? Most airports have a TTF and a TAF, one short range issued on a regular basis and one long range issued less frequently. So there is always a forecast on offer, as well as obs. Point is the TTF is very short, while the new TAFs have a long 30 hour period of coverage, resulting in occasions when things can change in terms of the outlook 12-20 hours out, affecting the long flights like those from Aus.

Its likely that a return to BNE was using less fuel/closer than a diversion to HNL etc. The route flown on the 4th was about 3 hours south of HNL for instance.

Last edited by MarkR; 9th April 2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 16th April 2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Huh?? Most airports have a TTF and a TAF, one short range issued on a regular basis and one long range issued less frequently. So there is always a forecast on offer, as well as obs. Point is the TTF is very short, while the new TAFs have a long 30 hour period of coverage, resulting in occasions when things can change in terms of the outlook 12-20 hours out, affecting the long flights like those from Aus.

Its likely that a return to BNE was using less fuel/closer than a diversion to HNL etc. The route flown on the 4th was about 3 hours south of HNL for instance.
Mark,
Makes sense to return BNE for more fuel taking 2 flight hours, than maybe much more flight hours via HNL.