Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd June 2011, 10:05 AM

Default Qantas offers redundancy to all 7000 of its cabin crew

From NEWS.COM.AU:

Quote:
QANTAS has offered voluntary redundancies to all 7000 of its cabin crew members in its latest cost-cutting move.

"Qantas issued a voluntary redundancy registration of interest pack to all cabin crew members today," a Qantas spokesperson said.

The move comes in response to high oil and fuel prices and global natural disasters, with Qantas Chief Executive Alan Joyce saying Qantas is facing its most serious challenge since the peak of the global financial crisis.

"We need to act decisively to respond to rising fuel costs and natural disasters, just like we did during the global financial crisis, to ensure the ongoing sustainability of our business," he told ABC online.

Qantas wants to reduce its planned capacity growth on domestic flights from 14 to eight per cent, and on international routes from ten to seven per cent.

The redundancy announcement came on the same day the airline announced its international unit carried 509,000 passengers in April 2011, up 7.4 per cent from April 2010.

Qantas last month announced it will lift the price of its European flights after the EU, under its emissions trading scheme, said it would force the airline to pay a tax on 15 per cent of its carbon emissions from its nearest port of departure.

Meanwhile, a recent US study placed Qantas fourth in the world for revenue raised by ancillary charges for items such as baggage.

Qantas earned about $1.5 billion in 2010 as a result of the charges, consultancy firm IdeaWorks found, placing it fourth below US airlines Delta, American and United.

The move towards voluntary redundancy for cabin crew is the latest in a series of industrial issues for the airline.

The Australian and International Pilots Association (AIPA) is currently considering industrial action over wages and conditions following a canvas of its 1700 members.

If the pilot's strike goes ahead, it will be the first of its kind in 45 years.

The airline's management have also recently been in negotiations with union groups over wage and working conditions.

In mid May, 1600 engineers scrapped plans for nationwide strikes.

Members of the Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association (ALAEA) planned strikes at airports around the country as part of the ongoing row over pay and conditions.
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:41 AM
Prolific Member

And if all 7000 cabin crew decided to take it.....

Old 3rd June 2011, 10:59 AM

Default VR

Nigel,

We'll just fly freight.

Todd
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:25 AM

Qantas is aiming for around 400 redundencies from what was quoted in the news last night.
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:44 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hendry View Post
Nigel,

We'll just fly freight.

Todd
Hi Todd,

My post was made entirely in jest, much like this next bit; who'd have thought Qantas has the potential to fly the first A380 freighter! Even Airbus wouldn't have seen it coming
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:47 PM

Perhaps they're looking to get rid of the more "Expensive" QAL Long Haul and Qantas Short Haul crew to recruit more QCCA and QD CC
Old 3rd June 2011, 01:11 PM

^^ What he said ^^

I wonder if they are offering redundancies to Jetstar crew?
Old 3rd June 2011, 01:53 PM

Default Freighters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Hi Todd,

My post was made entirely in jest, much like this next bit; who'd have thought Qantas has the potential to fly the first A380 freighter! Even Airbus wouldn't have seen it coming
Nigel. The A380 freighter would be a classic. But I was thinking more 748 freighters. Isn't QANTAS putting an order in for a few?
And we can convert the existing 74's into freighters. Also the 767's and 73's. The 330's can go to Jet*.

Sounds like a plan.

Some how I think it will be taken by some very senior, almost retired crew.

Todd.
Old 3rd June 2011, 01:56 PM

Now aiming for 350.

http://www.news.com.au/business/brea...-1226068700952
Old 3rd June 2011, 02:22 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hendry View Post
Nigel. The A380 freighter would be a classic. But I was thinking more 748 freighters. Isn't QANTAS putting an order in for a few?
And we can convert the existing 74's into freighters. Also the 767's and 73's. The 330's can go to Jet*.

Sounds like a plan.

Some how I think it will be taken by some very senior, almost retired crew.

Todd.
A fleet conversion to freighters? Just to think...no more public service announcements. Hard landing? No worries! Steep turns? Why the hell not! Land 16R and roll through to Golf? Sure!

Qantas would be killing 2 birds with the 1 stone here (Mr Ramsay, Adam P. ...no need to comment on the birds bit...), they reduce costs by turfing the hosties, and the pilots would think lower pay for more fun in the cockpit is a great trade off! It's a win, win for all concerned!

Mr Joyce...you're a genius!