Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 28th March 2009, 07:31 AM

Default Austrian Becomes First European Airline with Winglet Equipped 767

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...ipped-767.html

C'mon Qantas. Let's get some winglets for the workhorses. I'm sure they'll be (at least some of them) in the fleet for a few years yet - after all, the newest, VH-OGU is only 10 years old (delivered 04/08/1998).

They look amazing and NZ are getting them so we can't miss out.
Old 28th March 2009, 10:41 AM

QF lead the 738 winglet push in the early years as they could see a benifit of the extra performance, now everyone else has seen the light and is putting the winglets on anything that doesn't have them already. Guess QF don't see a benifit for what will become an all domestic 767 fleet. The 767s already have more than enough performance for the domestic routes and they would reduce fuel burn if only those drivers would not treat those planes like sports cars

Technical details aside, QF marketing should push for them to be put on just for pure look of the plane

Mike slight correction OGV is the youngest, was delivered in 2000.
Old 28th March 2009, 09:51 PM

Were OGU and OGV delivered new to QF? This has suprised me.... I had this notion in my head that the 767s dated to early/mid 90s.....
Old 29th March 2009, 01:49 PM

VH-OGU was manufactured in 1998 so it is coming up to 11 years old.

VH-OGV was manfactured and accepted in mid 2000, and was one of the aircraft allocated to Australian Airlines.

VH-OGA was accepted in 1988 - most of the 767's were manufactured/delivered in the early to mid nineties.

The Austrian 767 looks really nice with the winglets thats for sure.
Old 29th March 2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
C'mon Qantas. Let's get some winglets for the workhorses.
In the current market the winglets would be worth more than the older 763s in QF's fleet.

With the 763 being removed from the int'l fleet there is probably no incentive for QF to carry out a winglet upgrade on the fleet. Austrian use their 763s on trans-Atlantic services so they will get the benefit of the fuel savings offered by the winglets.

Most of QF's 763s spend their lives on milkruns between MEL-SYD and BNE. Given the planes are often slowed down on these routes due to ATC issues it is unlikely much benefit would be gained. The only regular domestic 763 routes that the winglets would offer benefits would be the PER services and the A332s are used just as often on these services.
Old 29th March 2009, 06:16 PM

Agree with Brad - they would be looked at but they don't have enough long haul routes using them, and in the future, more of the 767's will go to domestic configurations. AJ can provide more detail but they don't have a small number doing the international routes like MNL and HNL - for example, VH-OGH does the Manila route as well as the SYD/MEL/BNE runs so it might not really be worth it at the moment.