Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Closed Thread

Old 30th March 2010, 09:42 PM

Not a fan of unions myself Mike. When I first started in the workplace I was in the union, but saw first hand how they screwed one guy over because he didn't join. The current action is testomny as to why I have never thought about joining one again. Quite often the Unions will take issues such as this BA issue and turn it into a major political issue to peddle their own adjenda's.

In the 3 years I have lived in the UK I have seen more disruptive union strike action than I did in the 34 years I lived in Australia. Some of the action is really stupid, but ends up, as I said being used for political reasons.
Old 30th March 2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
Saj do you actually live in the UK? If so you would know about some of the other industrial disputes that have been going on for some time and the discontent that the unions have with the current Labour Government.
Sorry, but I'm not interested in politics affecting strikes even if you are. The simple fact remains that Unite still pays the Labour Govt, irrespective of whether the two have lost their love for one another.

And yes, I do live in the UK (when not on travel).

Quote:
An employee in the UK is free to choose to join a union if they wish
I know, thats the exact same point I made when I wrote this:

Quote:
UK law does not give any employee in the public or private sector the right to "be part of a union". You can join one if there is a union in place, but its not a right, its a choice. Big difference.
Getting firmly back on topic, Unite and BA may have their positions, but you can go ask anyone on the UKs streets whether they support BA or the Union and you'll find that its not the latter.

The morons at BA's cabin crew should be grateful they even HAVE a job.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saj_A View Post
Sorry, but I'm not interested in politics affecting strikes even if you are. The simple fact remains that Unite still pays the Labour Govt, irrespective of whether the two have lost their love for one another..
Simple fact is politics are an recuring theme in all the major industrial actions that have or are taking place in the UK in recent times. If you want to put your head in the sand and ignore the fact than fine, but it is a major part of this dispute, rightly or wrongly.

Quote:
Getting firmly back on topic, Unite and BA may have their positions, but you can go ask anyone on the UKs streets whether they support BA or the Union and you'll find that its not the latter.

The morons at BA's cabin crew should be grateful they even HAVE a job.
You would think so, but that is not what is being REPORTED. Of course though the media over here is not impartial, news papers in particular, so the reality may well be different.
Old 31st March 2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
Simple fact is politics are an recuring theme in all the major industrial actions that have or are taking place in the UK in recent times. If you want to put your head in the sand and ignore the fact than fine, but it is a major part of this dispute, rightly or wrongly.
I know its a theme and thats why Unite is still in cahoots with the Labour Govt - its seems you're the one in your head in the sand because you clearly do not understand the level of "goings-on" between the two.

Quote:
You would think so, but that is not what is being REPORTED. Of course though the media over here is not impartial, news papers in particular, so the reality may well be different.
I know that that isnt being reported. Reporters do not have a mandate to question every UK citizen, nor do polls represent everyones opinion so it;ll always be skewed.

The fact of the matter is, is that the changes BA has made are here to stay and no striking union can change it when even the High Court threw out their retarded claims. Try pulling your head out of the sand to understand that mate...
Old 31st March 2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I know its a theme and thats why Unite is still in cahoots with the Labour Govt - its seems you're the one in your head in the sand because you clearly do not understand the level of "goings-on" between the two.
I fully understand the going on's thank you very much. Is it that hard to realise that there is an INTERNAL power struggle in the UK Labour party that is being feed by the likes of Unite and the unions are using some of these industrial actions to achieve that?

Quote:
I know that that isnt being reported. Reporters do not have a mandate to question every UK citizen, nor do polls represent everyones opinion so it;ll always be skewed.
Oh so reporters do not have a mandate to question everyone, but you have the magic ability to read the minds of everyone. Hmmm. Well as I have said I am here in the UK, I read the papers and what I said is what is being reported. That is the majority of the reports have been skewed in favour of the union.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, is that the changes BA has made are here to stay and no striking union can change it when even the High Court threw out their retarded claims. Try pulling your head out of the sand to understand that mate...
Not going to argue with that, I have said all along that I think the action is wrong, yet for some reason you seem to feel the need to attack me over simply putting balance into the debate by saying what I READ in the newspapers. Almost like you think I have either a) written it, or b) made it up. You also attacked me over my (correct) claim that every employee in the UK has the right to join a union if they so wish, then turned it around when I proved you wrong to say that is what you were saying all along.

Clearly you have some closer interest in this matter than me, judging by the manner in which you are taking personal umbridge at me saying what I have read in the paper, so maybe you should reveal what your connection is to the issue then.

Last edited by Ash W; 31st March 2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 31st March 2010, 04:47 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Topic exhausted...