Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting

Old 5th August 2012, 02:03 PM

Here is the screenshot with my SBSplotter outlines.
If you click on the preview it will be opened in a bigger size and if you click on that picture again it will be displayed full size.

Old 21st August 2012, 02:24 AM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning S View Post
I don't mind lending you my antenna for a day. I haven't mounted it so I simply need to disconnect the cable.
I'm closer to the airport than you with good height, albeit without the ocean view. Maybe it's something we can test out during the planned Open ADS-B Workshop?!
Speaking of which, would you and Brad be interested in coming? We've gathered interest from most of the other Sydney PlanePlotter sharers, so the group get-together is looking more and more positive.

See here for more details: http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=8474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning S View Post
No, I haven't setup SQLite. But that wouldn't be a problem at all. My question is: What do I need it for? What kind of manual updates to the FD7 database do I need to do?
If you're using FlightDisplay to control how the Flight Routes display in Basestation for a particular aircraft; then using SQLite as a basic database editor, you can quickly and easily edit any of those routes that may be displaying in Basestation as incorrect. Flight Display uses the FD7 database offline to store the routes it collects from it's various internet sources.

Often where Flight Display gathers its route info from (internet) can be slow to update real world route changes across a network or operator, which can then lead to outdated routes showing in Basestation for various flights. This way you can manually update the FD7 route database to keep your Basestation up to date if you see any discrepencies.

Noel might be able to add more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad B View Post
hmm..not that ive seen Kurt, if you do look to get one let me know, might do a combo shipping deal and save the coin on shipping if we get a couple.
Hi Brad, I haven't yet made the move to the SBS3 as my current location and requirements don't warrant an upgrade. But if I do, I'll make contact with you so we can reach out to Wimo direct.
I have often navigated to the purchase page, but then get this hesitant mouse stutter when I hover over the 'Purchase Now' button, lol.
Old 21st August 2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt A View Post
Speaking of which, would you and Brad be interested in coming? We've gathered interest from most of the other Sydney PlanePlotter sharers, so the group get-together is looking more and more positive.
Depends on when and where it will be scheduled.
Old 17th September 2012, 07:04 AM

Just my 2 bobs worth, I live in Cairns , so am surrounded by mountains, my range is limited by this , so no amount of changes to my antenna set up will give any increase in range, just a sad fact of the ADSB transmission limitations,

When looking for an external ADSB antenna i visited my local communications experts at Austek , and had a good chat with their technician he said that as my set up was a "none transmitting" set up the actual ADSB freq of 1090mhz did not have to be met, and i ended up with a home GSM mobile phone antenna which tops put around 900mhz. It came with around 20 meters of low loss cable attached and is fully weather proof, its been up on its pole for years now and works just fine , I not saying its the be all and end all in antenna setups, but its a cheaper alternative as it " works out of the box"
Old 17th September 2012, 07:23 AM

I also used to use a base GSM antenna, it got about 1/3 the signal distance my dedicated 1090mhz antenna got...so I dont believe the theory of your comms expert (id question the expert bit)
Old 19th September 2012, 03:21 AM

Default Antenna Reality

Bottom line guys is that just because you are not transmitting does NOT mean that you can compromise the quality of your antenna system. That antenna is your gateway to the ADSB signals that are in the airwaves around you..compromise that and you compromise both the amount of signals that you hear as well as the quality of those signals compared to the surrounding noise/other signals etc.

The front end (business end) of many of these ADSB receivers is very broad (meaning not very selective signal wise) so if you use less than the optimum antenna system connected to it then you are simply not going to see the results that you are looking for. Mobile phone antennas are not the way to go !!!!

Go buy the right tools (antenna, coax, etc) for the job then once you have the correct basics in place then you can work on enhancing the system by adding different types of antennas/preamps/front end filtering etc...all designed to add capability to that all important antenna system. I have been a ham radio operator for many years..specializing in frequencies from VHF and up to over 2 Ghz which is higher than the ADSB freqs that are in use currently.

Just because you dont live in an optimum location (up high on a hill) such as Cairns doesnt mean you cant get a lot of extra performance out of the system you have and still get much better better results than you probably first thought possible