Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 18th August 2012, 09:43 AM

Default (Question) Complete beginner to international flights

Hi there,
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'll make up for it by posting a report after the trip!

I'm going to London in January, doing some traveling and coming back in February. At the moment I'm planning on taking Emirates from Brisbane, which is not the cheapest option but I have heard good things about them, plus I really want to use this opportunity to fly on an A380. The other option is Virgin Atlantic from BNE or Qantas from where I live which connects through Sydney.

Basically the stupid question is how do connections like this work with baggage and such. If I were to fly domestically to Sydney would it mean I would need to go and collect baggage and transfer terminals myself? If I go with Emirates from Brisbane do bags get checked all the way to London, even when the BNE-DXB flight on the way there has a stop in Signapore? Their connection times seem really short as well, about an 1h30m most times...

Thanks in advance, sorry if these are stupid questions, this will be my first time flying international long haul....
Old 18th August 2012, 11:13 AM

Baggage should be checked all the way through, irrespective of which airlines you fly.

However, I think you'd better check that Emirates flight from Brisbane again. They don't fly A380's out of Brisy.

Mick
Old 18th August 2012, 11:23 AM

I am aware of that, it is a 777 from BNE-DXB, then an A380 on the DXB-LHR sector both ways. Thanks for the reply!
Old 18th August 2012, 11:28 AM

Just my opinion, but I think you'd be better off flying out of Sydney on the A380 and going via Dubai.

Mick
Old 18th August 2012, 03:30 PM

It is a lot harder to get to Sydney for me unfortunately, either a full days drive or more flights which add onto the cost of the trip.. I think I have decided that Emirates from Brisbane is the way to go!
Old 18th August 2012, 03:56 PM

Understand. But if the flights are more expensive from Brisy, then surely the cost of the flight to Sydney wouldn't make it more expensive again, ;-)
Old 18th August 2012, 05:31 PM

Hi Jake, i would highly recommend singapore airlines,i've just come back from england with them and they were excellent. got a ride on the A380 aswell and have great times leaving Brisbane and connection in singapore!

Hope that Helps..

James
Old 29th October 2012, 08:15 PM

Just be careful if you are flying on a 777 with Emirates - for the Economy seating is in a 3-4-3 configuration, whereas most others are 3-3-3. That extra seat means they are narrower - 17.5"wide on Emirates vs 19" on Singapore. Think Elbow Room (width) and Leg Room (pitch).

Check out http://www.seatguru.com/