Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 20th August 2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Brown View Post
Just a follow up. If you have the cash the room to get at Rydges is 805. It is the room directly underneath the viewing deck and has panoramic floor to ceiling views of the airport. It can get a bit pricey though. But you can relax and watch all the activity from the comfort of your hotel room.
Thanks for the insight Stephen.
The room in question would be a 'Deluxe King Suite' I presume.

If the cost were not a factor, I'd be interested to compare the Hotel's 'Deluxe Suite' with the (top floor) 'Executive King Suite' and their respective views.

Last edited by Adam.S; 20th August 2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 25th November 2014, 05:22 AM

I stayed a month ago and forgot to add my comments - put simply it would have to be one of the best plane spotting hotels in the world.

The spotters package was well worth it and it gave you different options in terms of the rooms. Room 805 mentioned would have to be the best, but all others either face more towards the city (excellent for 16R arrivals) or the other side slightly angles more to the south, which is better for 34L action.

I stayed in a room facing toward the south and loved it.
- The room itself was very comfortable, had all the amenties you would want, comfortable bed but the view was the best. Internet, TV etc were all good, the bathroom layout was interesting.......the whole 'open' design doesn't leave room for any privacy if you are staying with someone you don't know.
- The other thing that was interesting to watch that high up was all the action on the departure level drop off, particular in the morning..........even late at night when the last flights are leaving, there is still lots of activity. I had a chuckle at some women who literally parked her car for about 20 mins right outside the drop off and then didn't understand why the patrol nabbed her. I am surprised her car wasn't towed to be honest but it was quite funny! I also saw some boy band arrive at the side enterance (never knew where it was) and to see all the crowds of people was unusual.
- The food and drink options downstairs was pretty good but if you were really picky, you could always walk across the road to the terminal for the usual options.
- You did get a bit of glare in the afternoon with the sun but it was a minor inconvenience, considering the view. Even the window allowed you to get enough of the aircraft after rotation from 34L.
- I will say the biggest issue when they were using 34L was all the light poles around the airport, particularly at rotation but nothing could be done about that!
- The 1pm late checkout with the package is very generous but they also allow you to check in early if the room is available - the online check in and SMS when your room is ready was amazing. I ended up staying well beyond 24 hours so it was certainly value for money
- Pack your scanner, have your computer with you and have Flightradar etc on and you will be all set!
- The rooms aren't soundproof so you can hear some of the action but it is music to my ears..........
- Get up early and watch the sunrise..........I was there on a glorious morning and to watch the sunrise over the airport was magic.
- And for those who haven't visited the deck yet, make sure you pack your sunscreen, hat etc as there is no protection from the elements unless you go inside. You can burn pretty easily on a sunny day but considering the view, it is a small price to pay.

If you were catching an early flight, this would be the place to stay.

I hope we have some more spotting activities next year - it will certainly give me another reason to stay for the weekend (without flying anywhere) but I will certainly be back again.
Old 25th November 2014, 08:09 AM

Ahhhh Sarah, making me jealous!!!