Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 30th March 2008, 08:13 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South
Default Shortest Trip Report

Sunday 30t March 2008

Aircraft Piper Archer II

An early start at 0600 local, a quick shave and shower, then a little breakfast while I submitted a flight plan for a Harbour Scenic. ETD will be 0830 local and SAR Time 292330 (1030 local) so straight into the car, picked up a friend and off to Bankstown.

Arrived at Bankstown at 0815, the aircraft was already fueled and ready to go so we pulled it out onto the grass and completed the pre-flight checks. Oil was fine and the fuel tests on the left and right tanks and the engine were all ok also. Completed the paperwork for VDO and Maintenance Clock start times.

The aircraft had been out in the open for two weeks without being used, and the cold overnight temperatures made it hard to start. An extra prime and throttle through the range, and we had engine start. Oil pressure was in the green, radio master on, 120.9 for the current ATIS and the 199.9 for taxi.

Information Charlie
Runway 29R for Arrivals and Departures
Runway 29L for training
Runway Centre active
Wind variable at 3kts
Temperature 12
Visibility OK
QNH 1013

We were the only aircraft departing and had the run up bay to ourselves. Run up checks completed and then a short taxi to the 29R holding point.

Called the tower on 132.8 and we were cleared for an immediate take off. Fuel pump on, lights on and Transponder to ALTITUDE (set to 1200) and we made a rolling start then full power for takeoff.

The engine in this aircraft is very responsive and 70kts and rotate comes up quickly. At 300ft it’s Fuel Pump off and 500ft a right turn to track directly to Parramatta. The weather today is fantastic, smooth flying conditions, clear blue skies and unlimited visibility. The city skyline clearly visible to the east.

Right to heading 023 and tracking for Hornsby were we contacted Sydney Terminal on 135.1 for an Airways Clearance for orbits at the Harbour Bridge. We were given a Squawk code of 0524 and asked to report approaching Long Reef. Akuna Bay and the Kuringai National Park passed by quickly as we approached Patonga and a right turn to 092 for Barrenjoey Light House. From there we tracked down the Northern Beaches which looked pristine in the early morning sunlight. The water was crystal clear and it would be very easy to see a shark, even at 1500ft (the Aerial Patrol operates at 500ft for their shark spotting). As we approached Long Reef I made another call to Sydney Terminal for a clearance and was informed that there would be a short delay. I advised that we would orbit north of Long Reef but before we even started our turn we were given a clearance to Manly. At Manly we were then cleared direct North Sydney where we made three anticlockwise orbits east of the bridge and north of the northern shore.

This is the photograph I took on the 9th April doing a similar flight and today's conditions were even better.

On completion we tracked direct to South Head where Sydney Departures gave us an incorrect clearance to leave the control area on descent to 500ft for Victor 1. A quick clarification and an apology from Departures and we were back to 1200 on the Transponder, monitoring Sydney Radar on 125.8 and VFR again.

At Mona Vale I did an orbit directly over my house and then north to Avalon for two orbits of my friend’s house.

It was time to head back to Bankstown, so we tracked to Mona Vale then right to heading 270 for Hornsby. At the Hornsby train sheds it is only 2 minutes onto the flashing light beacon on top of the water reservoir at Dural then direct to Prospect.

A quick check of the Bankstown ATIS
Information Delta
Runway 29R for Arrivals and Departures
Runway 29L for training
Runway Centre active
Wind variable at 3kts
Temperature 18
Visibility OK
QNH 1013

I descended to 1500ft by Prospect and called Bankstown Tower on 132.8 for a clearance. Definitely quiet traffic wise this morning, we were number one for Runway 29R and after completing the pre-landing checks we made our approach. For Runway 29R from Prospect you need to maintain 1500ft until abeam the tower so that departing aircraft can pass under you at 1000ft if they are tracking to the north.

After turning final the tower cleared a Cessna for takeoff on Runway 29R, and a slow lineup and takeoff gave us a very late "clear to land 29R" from the tower.

Touchdown was quite smooth and we exited right onto the taxiway for the short taxi back to the parking bay. After shutdown I made a quick call to cancel our SAR Time and another to the Shell tanker to refuel the aircraft. With the aircraft secured and canopy cover on it was time to head home.

This was probably the best flying conditions I have ever seen, so smooth, excellent visibility and a magnificent view of the Northern Beaches and Sydney Harbour.

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 30th March 2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 30th March 2008, 09:25 PM

Nice

Sorry, couldn't resist offering the shortest response
Old 30th March 2008, 10:19 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Old 31st March 2008, 02:25 PM

I seem to remember a shorter one on the old board.

I'd do a search but..... well.....
Old 31st March 2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame Hutchison View Post
Sunday 30t March 2008

and the 199.9 for taxi.
I think you mean 119.9

I miss Bankstown
Old 31st March 2008, 03:23 PM

Nice report, Grahame! Always an enjoyable flight.
Old 31st March 2008, 03:28 PM
Prolific Member

Chris, you only use 199.9 if you do not want to be bothered by the tower.

Dialing up the numbers is easier than typing them.
Old 31st March 2008, 05:26 PM

You had perfect weather for flying yesterday.
Old 31st March 2008, 07:33 PM

Grahame,

Thanks for an excellent report.

Mate I''ll take this opportunity to thank you for the time and effort you put in to provide consistently excellent and always interesting trip reports.

I notice you have a trip in May on the A380 & B777 and look forward to reading that report.

Thanks again for your efforts not only on the trip reports but for all of your interesting contributions.

Cheers

Adam
Old 31st March 2008, 09:13 PM

i agree adam,keep up the good reports grahmae, good stuff