Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 30th March 2008, 02:08 PM

Default Scared of Flying?

Hey guys,

I just read a amusing article in todays Sunday Tele aimed at subduing the fears of those who don't like flying. Its light hearted and focuses on all the noises that a plane makes during take offs and landings. I tried to find a link to an eletronic version but could not.

If you want a read its in the escape section.

Cheers

M
Old 30th March 2008, 09:30 PM

I hope my Mum read it, she's terrified at the prospect of flying. She did a joy ride at Seaworld a million years ago and she hated flying before it and she hated flying even after having done it! I have an obvious penchant for aviation and my sister works serving coffee at high altitude - obviously it doesn't run in the family

We think the cure may have been the Sydney to Brisbane return on the XPT last week that's caused her to think that she'll attempt a jet flight at some point this year.

I'd be interested to hear all the "Best ways to cure the fear of flying" stories you may have (genuine stories only!).
Old 30th March 2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear all the "Best ways to cure the fear of flying" stories you may have (genuine stories only!).
I recently had the pleasure of taking a lovely lady on a Trial Intro Flight (TIF) her family had purchased for her, on her 60th birthday.

The lady had been scared of flying for her entire life & arrived in Australia on a boat many years ago - she'd never been able to go back home to see her family as she couldn't fly!

After a long chat about how the plane flys, what the controls do, what turbulance is, why things make noises/move when they do, we were off.

She successfully managed to take off & was having so much fun, we even enduldged in steep turns which she loved. She was actually amazingly calm & we had a great chat through the whole flight.

A few weeks later, I got an e-mail from the lady who said after the experience of being able to fly it & understand how it worked, she now felt much more comfortable & had booked a flight "home" later this year (in business class, the lucky girl!).

I think the experience was just as rewarding for me as it was her!

As for other things I've seen (but by no way condone!) sleeping tablets, alcohol, anti-anxity tablets, counselling & a famuly member of mine even tried sky diving!
Old 7th April 2008, 04:36 PM

I found the link!

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...009000,00.html