Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 30th August 2021, 07:12 PM

Default Qantas A380 retirement

So, who thinks a retired QF A380 will ever make it to a museum here in Australia down the track? Obviously there would be a logistical and financial issue to get it out of the USA with appropriate maintenance etc and then there’s the issue of where would it go being so bloody huge. I don’t think it would happen, but given it’s the last ever 4 engined jet QF will ever operate….one can only wonder!
Old 31st August 2021, 03:34 PM

Not sure about getting one into a museum in Aus but I do think all 12 will be back flying within 12 months. The demand for international travel is going to be massive once covid dies out/down. Lot of people have itchy feet to get travelling again and I would actually suggest that seats will be hard to come by for a couple of years when the world opens back up.....especially since a lot of airlines have retired their larger planes.
Old 31st August 2021, 04:27 PM

Didn’t AJ say yesterday that 2 would be retired?

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 31st August 2021, 06:36 PM

Couldn't agree more with Ben W !
Old 31st August 2021, 08:39 PM

MS, Greg mentioned it here: http://yssyforum.net/board/showthrea...t=12283&page=4
Old 1st September 2021, 08:04 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben W View Post
Lot of people have itchy feet to get travelling again and I would actually suggest that seats will be hard to come by for a couple of years when the world opens back up.....especially since a lot of airlines have retired their larger planes.
The problem with the A380 is it’s freight capacity, which is 2/3rds of a 787, and less than an A330. Two 787s on a route that normally takes an A380 offers better returns as well as flight timing choice. Congested airports are a different story, that makes A380s attractive but these are on the decline as new capabilities mean new routes such as PER-LHR etc.
Old 1st September 2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben W View Post
Not sure about getting one into a museum in Aus but I do think all 12 will be back flying within 12 months. The demand for international travel is going to be massive once covid dies out/down. Lot of people have itchy feet to get travelling again and I would actually suggest that seats will be hard to come by for a couple of years when the world opens back up.....especially since a lot of airlines have retired their larger planes.
I can’t wait to get back in the air again . I need to see my old Mum in the UK who has had COVID . I’ll fly on any type to get there , even a 787😂

Dave C
Old 1st September 2021, 12:18 PM
Prolific Member

The other factor that everybody is forgetting is "Project Sunrise".

Can QF "trade-in" some A380's to get a better deal on A350's.

QF were planning to purchase A350's later this year if the world opened up.
Old 1st September 2021, 12:27 PM
Prolific Member

Joyce agrees there is demand but the A380 only suits constrained ports :
Quote:
“When we look at Australia, we have limited slots at Heathrow, and the A380 helps us meet demand at Heathrow due to its size. And the same to LA,” Joyce explained.

“There’s a scheduling window, all of our flights leave LA between 10:00 and midnight because of the curfew in Sydney… So you can’t really add frequency, so you might as well have a big aircraft that works.”
https://australianaviation.com.au/20...03a3b7a3a7f0a4