Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 19th February 2014, 07:59 PM

Default Trip Report: QF and VA BNE-ROK-BNE (Photos)

Introduction:

Just another one of my random daytrips for fun! Looked at different flights and decided on Rockhampton. I would fly up in the late morning on QF1736 operated by an awesome Boeing 717! Then I would return in the mid-afternoon on VA1246 to be operated by a Boeing 737-700! Thought I’d have one more crack at getting VBY!

Brisbane Airport:

I caught the train to the domestic terminal and then went up to the top of the multi-storey carpark for some spotting. The lighting was terrible but I wanted to get the Air Niugini 757 (TF-FIC), which only visits BNE on Thursdays.

Air Niugini Boeing 757-200 TF-FIC leased from Icelandair

After getting the 757 I went into the terminal. I was already checked in so straight to security. Then went to Gate 26 where my flight would depart from. As I got there VH-NXJ came into the gate. New rego for me.

Arriving from Rockhampton where she would soon return to with me on-board. Apologies for the quality, taken with my phone.

As we approached boarding time I noticed that the gate area was pretty empty. Staff were calling passengers over the P/A and asking if they would mind being moved to exit rows. Eventually I was called over the P/A and asked if I minded sitting in an exit row. I said that was fine so I was moved to Seat 15A. Wouldn’t get the awesome engine view but I’d been meaning to try an exit row for a while so decided to accept it. Boarding commenced at around 1020.

February 13, 2014
Qantaslink
QF1736
BNE-ROK
VH-NXJ B712
Seat 15A

Good legroom! There ended up being about 30 passengers on-board. If I had stayed in 21A I would’ve had the last 8 rows to myself!

Wingview with VH-NXL next to us after arriving from Mackay

I kept my camera in my bags which had to go in the overhead locker so no photos on take-off. We made the quick taxi out to RWY01 and lined up straight away. The noise of those engines is simply incredible! Got up plenty of speed and climbed out like an absolute rocket! Brilliant!

Passing Redcliffe

Passing the Sunshine Coast

Snack for today’s service was a muffin and water with Tea and Coffee also offered.

Cruising along at 32000 feet

Quick 50 minute flight time, we were soon descending into Rockhampton. It got a little bumpy as we passed through some clouds. We passed ROK on downwind for RWY15 before a pretty smooth landing a few minutes later. Exiting the plane was obviously pretty quick with only 30pax.

Thanks for the ride NXJ!

Rockhampton Airport:

Not too much to say really! Had a little walk around before grabbing something to eat and watching NXJ take-off! VH-FVM was in operating the midday VA service. I just entertained myself with the free Wi-Fi. I had already worked out that I would be getting VBZ back to BNE! Second time on her! I tracked her on FR24 and as she neared Rocky I went outside to photograph her arrival. Got a surprise when I went outside!

Very nice looking G500 arrives!

VBZ taxies to the terminal after arriving from BNE

Once she arrived I went back into the terminal, passed through security and just relaxed before the flight back. At about 2:40pm boarding commenced.

February 13, 2014
Virgin Australia
VA1246
ROK-BNE
VH-VBZ B737
Seat 13A

On-board in Seat 13A. Better load on the return to BNE, was pretty much full.

Taxied out on time and backtracked for a departure on RWY15. Bumpy climb out until we got above the clouds. We got up to 29000 feet for the 55 minute flight. Virgin Australia now offer a complimentary snack and drink on all flights now. The snack was a couple of mini muffins and I took a juice.

On our way up to FL290

Cruising down to Brisbane
Old 19th February 2014, 08:00 PM

Slight left hand turn as we commence our descent

We made the usual approach over the north side for RWY01. Caboolture and Redcliffe Aerodromes could be seen. We passed the city before turning finals over Archerfield Aerodrome, then passing the city again. Then we passed over the Brisbane River and the old terminal before a smooth touchdown.

VBZ would do another return trip to Rocky

I grabbed something to eat before heading up to the car park again for the afternoon arrivals.

Off to ROK for the third time that day

Aircalin A332 F-OJSE

Then caught the two trains back home!

Conclusion:

I have fallen in love with the Boeing 717s! Great looking plane and fantastic to fly on. Can’t wait til I can get on another one! The flight home was alright, but overall Qantaslink provided a much better service than Virgin on the day!

Next flights for me are in mid-March down to Sydney for a couple nights for some spotting! QF8 down to SYD of course! Then back on a Qantas B738 unfortunately since Qantas have for the third time switched me from a B763 to a B738!!!

Thanks for reading!

Brandon
Old 20th February 2014, 03:22 PM

Great trip report Brandon!, the refurbished 717's cabin looks a lot more appealing than the old cabin!

Unfortunately by the time you come down to Sydney in March the Airport observation deck will be closed.
Old 20th February 2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex T View Post
Great trip report Brandon!, the refurbished 717's cabin looks a lot more appealing than the old cabin!

Unfortunately by the time you come down to Sydney in March the Airport observation deck will be closed.
Thanks Alex. Yes the refurbished cabin on the 717s is a big improvement!

Yes, such a shame to hear that the obs deck will be closing! I've spent many hours there on my various spotting trips down to SYD.
Old 21st February 2014, 12:12 PM

Great Job Brandon, Can you tell me how to get to the carpark spotting location, your photos look great from there
Old 21st February 2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob L View Post
Great Job Brandon, Can you tell me how to get to the carpark spotting location, your photos look great from there
Cheers Jacob. The carpark spot is easy to find. Its the multi-storey carpark right in front of the domestic. Just catch the lift to the top level (level 9). I usually go to the VA end, the QF end is also good. Good spot for the afternoon. Just a bit tricky with light poles from the domestic in the way. So you've only got a few seconds at a time while aircraft pass.