Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 7th February 2015, 08:43 PM

Default Trip Report Part 2 (SIN-HKT-SIN-SYD)

Part Two

24 January 2015
3K537 SINGAPORE to PHUKET
Jetstar Asia A320-232
9V-JSE
Seats 21 A, B, C & D

The only observation about Singapore is that the majority of the security staff, assistants, trolley collectors, etc. were atleast 70 years or older.

The Qantas Club was refurbished here in 2013 and was excellent before our 9pm flight back to Phuket to get a meal and refreshment.

Quick trip back to Phuket and almost carbon copy of the flight down.

This aircraft previously served time in Australia (VH-JQW) and at 10 years of age, definitely a little more wear here but comfortable and clean tonight on this somewhat full flight to Phuket.

Cabin View

Leg Room

31 January 2015
3K536 PHUKET to SINGAPORE
Jetstar Asia A320-232
9V-JSI
Seats 6, A, B, C & D
Duration 1:50

Uneventful flight, carbon copies of the flights before. On on-time departure and same track as the flight the week previous.

I note that despite three stages of security at Phuket, upon arrival at Singapore all passengers are again searched and bags scanned before entering the terminal.

This was a Qantas codeshare flight for us and I was surprised that when on a code share service, a meal is not offered yet if you had purchased the $10 voucher, a combo (meal and drink) is provided. I would have thought that given Qantas had provided the 30kg baggage allowance (which is not normally included) a meal would be provided. The cabin crew are obviously asked this question a lot as there a few disgruntled people on the same code share as us expecting refreshment.

Jetstar Check-In is in Terminal 2 (same building) on the ground floor

9V-JSI At the gate

Cabin view of 9V-JSI

Leg Room

31 January 2015
QF6 SINGAPORE to SYDNEY
Qantas A330-202 – VH-EBH
Seats 54 and 55 A & B
Duration: 7:55

With approximately 4 hours in Singapore we headed straight to the Qantas Club for a refreshment and watch the finishing minutes of the Asian Champions League Final in Sydney, which was on the big screen.

The Big Screen

Every table and coffee table has 4 universal power points and atleast 2 USB ports.

Despite being a Gold FF with Qantas and having a business class upgrade in the System, we were pipped out of the system back to Economy. The service desk staff explain a heavy load of platinum and paid flyers tonight. Frequent Flyer Points are saved.

At 23:20 our call to board is announced and Gate C17 is atleast a 10 minute walk from the Qantas Club at a brisk pace. With kids in tow we leave the club arriving at the gate and seated on the aircraft 20 minutes later at 23:40. Security Scanning is completed at the gate prior to boarding and boarding is completed quickly and we are underway on schedule at 23:55. A long taxi down to 02C and then join a long queue departing Singapore we roll out at 25 minutes past midnight.

The aircraft:
Similarly to QPJ, There is no power to the seats and no USB in these seats.

There is no detectable cabin differences between the QPJ and EBH in which to report. The phones on this flight are operable.

EBH at the Gate

Leg Room

The meal:
Tonight we are refreshed with a Bickfords cordial fruit drink after departure. The menu listed it as Bickfords Heritage Range (plush). The choices at 1.30am are either a heated roll of pulled pork or chicken with a kit kat. The Gluten Free meal was a toasted chick pea and spinach roll and Anzac Biscuits. These are made by the Rowies Cakes in Sydney.

The Bread and Anzac Cookies

At the time of serving the meals, the cabin are requesting that the shades be closed as in 2 hours the sun will be rising.

Most people dart off to sleep. I have restless legs and pace the cabin, sit, pace the cabin and watch movies. The passenger next to me drinks his way to Sydney on red wine.

Breakfast is fruit plate or Sausages, Eggs, Mushrooms and Baked Beans. The Gluten free option is steam cooked egg white (no yolk) with green beans and mushrooms which smelt and looked absolutely disgusting. We looked around and this seemed a popular menu alternative and no one touched it. I sent it back with a polite request for a fruit platter for my son, which was provided. it was not before the cabin manager approached me to accept the meal and then had the nerve to point out it was my responsibility to bring food for my son if he has a special requirement and need not rely on the airline. We did do this for all sectors and it was not a problem but in choosing to fly Qantas, the call centre told us "not to worry" a scrumptious meal would be provided. I suppose this was the only disappointing aspect of the Qantas product was the approach by the cabin manager as we brought our own food anyway. i think he ust wanted to pick an argument.

The flight is uneventful and smooth with our arrival via Parkes, a right turn just east of Cowra, down near Yass and then dog leg back to Sydney.

In Phuket we stayed at the Centara Grand Beach at Karon and highly recommend this property. In Singapore we stayed at the Hard Rock Sentosa and albeit it being expensive we recommend it. We also visited Universal Studios and Legoland in Malaysia and had fun there too.