Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 30th August 2018, 12:40 PM

Default Opinions sought on the Rydges Hotel viewing platform

As I have never visited the Rydges viewing platform, what's the consensus on this spot?

I have heard there is an entry fee, but seeing as Rydges is private property, that's normal if you don't have a hotel room booked.

As the landscape and layout of the airport changes, good viewing spots can also change. For example, Barton Park was once good, but it has offered me few - if any - opportunities on the last few occasions I've been there.

The large field on the southern side of General Holmes Drive (near the Airport Fire Station and the parallel Third Runway) was also good, years ago, before security was increased.
Old 2nd September 2018, 11:02 AM

Hi Robbie

My one and only visit was in April 2015 when I booked a Spotters' Package and stayed at the hotel so entry was free to the Observation Deck.

I spent several hours there one afternoon and took quite a few good shots of taxiing or parked aircraft with my 80-300mm lens. However, I think a 400mm lens would be better for landing shots. Unfortunately, heavy rain ended my spotting session and set in for several days so the rest of my 3 day visit was spent spotting from my room or from inside the International Terminal.

Cheers

Bob
Old 2nd September 2018, 11:56 PM

You are best of to go to the carpark and spot from the top, or next level down if you want some shade.