Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 2nd November 2014, 04:34 PM

Cool Innocuous posting

Robert's post was an innocuous report of an unusual experience. Of course it's in the interest of all us spotters that we have exemplary relations with the AFP and nothing Robert did went against that, so thanks for preserving the good relations.

We know that the AFP team has recently been increased so you may just have been unlucky to get new/inexperienced officers not familiar with what spotters do. Their supervisor obviously told them what Shep's Mound is for and that was the end of it.
Old 2nd November 2014, 04:46 PM

Exactly Philip. Well put.
Old 2nd November 2014, 08:47 PM

Thanks guys. Sorry I allowed myself to be wound up here last night... it really was meant to mostly be a report (but of course I was also directing my frustration here - I'm sure most people would have felt a little rattled by it).

Clearly they had to be new on that run to have not encountered scanners at Shep's Hill before, and there probably is something to be said for the G20 theory - a combination of those two factors is certainly a plausible explanation for them being a little heavy handed, but with a little more distance from the event now I can reflect that at least they learnt something from it and I gave them no reason to form a negative attitude towards spotters.

Last edited by Robert S; 2nd November 2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 3rd November 2014, 11:45 AM

Default Australian Police

I was at Qantas Drive when this Police car travelling at a good nick suddenly slowed down and reversed. It was the Captain of the Mascot division. He was extremely polite and at no time made me feel intimidated although my ego sure was hurt, I admit. He walked away with my details and around 8-10 minutes later returned them to me, wished me a good day and moved on to question another person in a car, who was parked a little further down the road. Experienced officers do their duty without hurting feelings. I don,t mind being stopped as long as my family and other innocent people fly safe. This is not a police state and the threat is very very real, so I have decided to suck in my ego and go with the flow.

I would really appreciate if others share their experiences her on this board. That way, we wouldn't feel singled out and hurt. We are a family and lets keep it that way.
Old 4th November 2014, 07:37 AM

I work in airfield security but from a military capacity so I will bring perspective from the other side of the fence. These guys probably were new and as others have posted things are a bit twitchy right now. I don't have any problem with Robert talking about his interaction with these guys, it was interesting to hear as a board member.

From a personal perspective I regard spotters as a bit like the villagers in a small town, if anything unusual is going on they will know and pass it on. I always go back to what an old boss of mine like to say a lot, the bad guys only have to get lucky once.
Old 30th January 2016, 12:54 AM

Default Spotting locations Sydney

I am a Pom living in the UK, but lucky enough to get out to Australia about alternate years. On my last visit, in Jan 2015, I called the Rydges Hotel, and booked the $10 day ticket on their 9th floor. I was surprised that I had the whole facility to myself throughout the day, and had both air-con indoors and the open air space for photography. It was certainly money well spent for an occasional visitor like me, but I can see that it would be inappropriate for locals who come regularly. I am hoping to visit again at the end of this year, and if Rydges are still offering that day deal, I will certainly take them up on it again. I normally use public transport in Sydney, so am guessing that the other 'official' sites are impractical by bus?

Cheers
Phil
Old 11th September 2016, 02:04 PM

Gday all

A week or so ago, I published a YSSY plane spotting locations website. The site includes a Google Map with, so far, 26 spotting locations and info on each. There's quite a bit of other things on there too, including a link to this forum.
I did the website, the only one I've ever done, mainly as existing spotters may not be aware of them all and also to help people who may want to go to the airport to photograph, or just watch, aircraft.
I would be very interested in some informed feedback, either via this thread or the Contact tool on the website. If you are aware of any other locations or alternatives, or I have made an error/omission, I'd love to hear about it.
The link to website is below:
http://planespottingsydney.wixsite.c...spottingsydney
Thanks
Old 11th September 2016, 09:03 PM

Thumbs up http://planespottingsydney.wixsite.com/planespottingsydney/contact

Nice work, Paul. I'm afraid I could not get the Contact form to accept text using Internet Explorer 11 - I have not tried other browsers.

I was seeking to suggest some changes to your suggested times for using Shep's Mound (#1). Most photographers prefer to have the sun behind them as it is very hard to get good aircraft photos when they are strongly backlit. Accordingly, most people would use Shep's Mound in the morning and move to the Beach (#2) for the afternoon sessions.

You might also consider adding the Gladesville Bridge as a location. The footways on either side give great views of aircraft using 16R/34L. With a zoom lens you will usually catch landing gear deployment here or graceful right turns on departure (both best in the afternoon). Videographers tend to like this spot.

My only other cheeky comment was to say that I thought Wix sites could only be used for selling underpants ...
Old 30th October 2016, 08:16 PM

sorry if this has been asked before, but i can't seem to find any information about this carpark. Whats it for? and is it publicly accessible?

Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 9.08.17 PM copy by Peter Podlaha, on Flickr
Old 30th October 2016, 10:04 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

This is the new SACL Staff Car Park, and there is NO parking anywhere on the entry road over the bridge.