Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 13th November 2013, 10:17 PM

Default Trip Report: JQ's Inaugural Boeing 787 Dreamliner Service

Since Qantas/Jetstar ordered the Boeing 787 I knew I wanted to be passenger on the inaugural flight, and as soon as Jetstar released tickets in early October I immediately booked a return flight.

Date: 13/11/2013
Flight: JQ432 (MEL-OOL)
Aircraft: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner (VH-VKA)
Seat: 28A (Economy)
Departure: 11:00 (local time)
Gate: 21(T1)
Arrival: 12:05 (local time)
Gate: 9

I would usually check in online for a Jetstar flight, but as this was a special one I decided to get an airport printed ticket.

After going through security I proceeded to Gate 21 and found myself a spot with a view of the apron. Five or so minutes later our aircraft VH-VKA was towed to the gate. Shortly afterwards media crews started to arrive.

At around 10:00 several Jetstar staff starting handing out ruck sacks with mementos and a certificate.

It was around this time, that Jetstar's CEO (Jayne Hrdlicka) and a representative from Boeing began speaking to the media and passengers. This lasted for around 10 to 15 minutes, with boarding commencing soon after.

The Economy class seats aren't anything special and they are very similar to the A330s. The only difference I found is that the AVOD's touchscreen is a lot more responsive. It took around 20-25 minutes for passengers and media to board. We taxied out to RWY34 and before we knew it we were cruising at 41,000ft.

You really do notice a difference with the improved cabin air freshness, lower pressure and humidity. For those who fly the Dreamliner to Honolulu it will be a lot more comfortable than an A330.

Jetstar provided an incredibly rare complimentary Lunch, which consisted of a sandwich, a piece of cake and a bottle of water.

The media were busy throughout the flight, either interviewing passengers or recording reports for that night’s news.

Just before we descended into Coolangatta, Jestar's CEO (Jayne Hrdlicka) drew out three seat numbers from a bag, with each of those lucky passengers getting a $500 Jetstar voucher.

We landed on RWY32 and taxied to Gate 9. All media had to disembark, before any passengers. No water salute was given.

Date: 13/11/2013
Flight: JQ435 (OOL-MEL)
Aircraft: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner (VH-VKA)
Seat: 3G (Business)
Departure: 15:30 (local time)
Gate: 9
Arrival: 18:45 (local time)
Gate: 21

The layover was just over there hours, and I occupied the time inside the Qantas Club writing the first half of this trip report.

Boarding commenced early at 14:50, however we departed a few minutes late from RWY32.

Jetstar's Business class seats are more like Qantas' Premium Economy seats, but I had no complaints, except for the limited amount of storage space under the seat in front.

Jetstar once again offered a complimentary Lunch, but I kindly declined.

The flight went by very quickly, but we touched down 15 minutes late due to being put into a short holding pattern.

Overall it was an excellent days flying. Jetstar staff and cabin crew were incredibly friendly and I was really impressed with Dreamliner. I will be traveling on the Dreamliner again in December, but this time to Cairns.
BOE: 717 (200), 737 (300,400,700,800), 747 (400), 767 (300), 777 (300), 787 (8,9)
DHC: DH3, DH4
EMB: E70, E90
FKR: F100
SWR: SW4
Old 13th November 2013, 11:06 PM

Great trip report Oliver. No doubt those momentos will become valuable in the future. Dave

Last edited by Dave Dale; 13th November 2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: iPad spelling correction
Old 14th November 2013, 04:32 AM

Hahaha you were in the seat behind me and I didn't realise! It was a fantastic flight! Wish I flew on it back to Melbourne, it was depressing flying back on a VA B738. I will post a report when I get back to Brisbane next week.
Old 14th November 2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
The Economy class seats aren't anything special and they are very similar to the A330s.
Actually, they are different. And the seat pan also slides out, to give you an improved recline.
Old 16th November 2013, 04:20 PM

Great Report Oliver,

The cabin being wider looks much better than your average aircraft,

Finally we have entered the new world of aviation

Hope you had a good time - Compared to me at the exam desk
Old 16th November 2013, 06:30 PM

Yes, it was a wonderful trip. Nice memories. Are we all framing our certificates It was definitely worth the wait.