Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 5th December 2011, 04:08 PM

Default YMML Tullamarine Questions

G'day guys. Have a few questions and would appreciate your help

1, If I am landing into YMML, which side of the a/c should I be seated on if (a) I want a view of the terminal (b) I want a view of the city?

2. If I am departing YMML, which side of the a/c should I be seated on if (a) I want a view of the terminal (b) I want a view of the city?

3. Is there a viewing deck at YMML? How do I get to it?

Thank you very much.
Old 5th December 2011, 04:56 PM

Firstly, where are you coming from?

Runway 16 and 27 are used extensively for landing so the left side would be the best for terminal views. Similar for takeoff as 27 is used a lot
Old 5th December 2011, 07:23 PM

Depends where you are coming and going from really as Jason points out.

For landing on 27, then you most likely want the left side of the aircraft for city and terminal views on the approach/landing, or right hand side if you want the terminal while taxiing.

If you're coming from Perth, then runway 27 the right hand side might give a better city view initially (from higher up though).

For landing 16, the left is the better for terminal views on landing, and the city if you're coming from Sydney. Again, right hand side is better for terminal views on the taxi.

Landing runway 34, then you want the left hand side for city views if you're coming from Sydney (unless its a low-cloud day when you want the right), and the terminal views are on the right. If you're coming from Perth, then you want the right hand side for city and terminal views.

Departure-wise you're probably wanting the left for terminal views taxiing, and right for the city views (depending where you're flying too).

There is a spotting deck, however it is no-longer accessable to the public.
Old 6th December 2011, 08:22 AM

Default YMML Tullamarine questions

Hi guys Thank you for your helpful replies. I am arriving via international flight into T2. SO I guess there is nowhere that I can spot a/c from any of the terminals.
Old 8th December 2011, 06:10 AM

G'day mates. What are the spotting spots in MEL?