Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 14th August 2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
...shelling out loads for advertising!
Rhys, you bring up a topic there which has always had me thinking. Why do Boeing and Airbus need to do any advertising or marketing to the public?

I mean, I understand that to a certain degree it is needed so that the general public accepts the aircraft and at times prefers to fly a particular aircraft.....but on the whole, it is not the public who purchase the aircraft, it's the airlines...and the airline's certainly don't need to be exposed to marketing campaigns such as TV and magazine advertisements because they surely already know which planes are being offered (heck, Boeing and Airbus probably approach them to let them know what models are being planned).

So in simple my question is: why do Boeing and Airbus need to actively advertise to the general public? I've seen Boeing and GE Aviation ads on US television, we see Boeing ads in aviation magazines, and of course there's the highly-publicised sales battle between Boeing and Airbus.

I understand marketing campaigns based around aircraft such as the 747, A380 and 787 because the general public may make a concious effort to fly on these aircraft...but on the whole, the majority of passengers wouldn't know the difference between an A320 and a 777-300ER. So why waste money advertising to the public when it's the airline's who purchase the planes?
Old 14th August 2008, 10:32 PM

Thats a very good question, but i think here we need to remember that although Boeing and Airbus are huge, they aren't the only aircraft manufaturers in the world, and would have some competition in the narrowbody sector of the market.

Still, its a very good question...i think you might find that Airbus and Boeing do a fair bit of direct marketing to the airlines for latest models and stuff, bringing them to factories etc to show them off, and also to make a fairly big appearance at airshows too (eg Dubai, Paris).

Perhaps we can get someone like Andrew to answer here if no one has any other ideas ?
Old 15th August 2008, 08:52 AM

Shameel

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Both Airbus and Boeing advertise to the travelling public in the hope of building up a profile amongst the high yielding frequent traveller who does know an A320 from a 777-300ER.

Although fuel burn and dispatch rates and operating costs are obviously taken into account when purchasing an airliner, the frequent traveller these days is far more educated as to what he or she flies on, and thus he or she wields a lot of influence with airlines as well.

Re the manufacturers advertising in magazines (such as ours), there is probably two reasons why they do it. The first is to keep their products in front of airline decision makers, especially when an airline has a new aircraft or replacement aircraft campaign underway. But I also suspect they spread the advertising 'love' around a little because most have an interest in supporting a viable aviation media.

The painting of an aircraft in Dreamliner colours though is a curious one for me - unless you're a tragic spotter, how often does a passenger actually see and take notice of the exterior of the aircraft they travel on?

Cheers
Old 15th August 2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I would think airlines wouldnt be all too happy flying their planes around with only the tail to identify them....
Just to add another quandary into the mix, but how does it differ to the Star Alliance theme aircraft... It is an 'Alliance' paintjob, with barely any identification to the company that it is flying for by way of (generally) small logo decals!

Just my 2c worth, and to add to the discussion, not to start a war and peace epic!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images

Last edited by Bernie P; 15th August 2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo...
Old 15th August 2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
the high yielding frequent traveller who does know an A320 from a 777-300ER.
I would say most high yielding frequent traveller haven't got a clue what type of plane they are on

Banjo
Old 15th August 2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post
Both Airbus and Boeing advertise to the travelling public in the hope of building up a profile amongst the high yielding frequent traveller who does know an A320 from a 777-300ER.
This applies perfectly well for passenger aircraft. I know for a fact that when my family is coming down here in February/March next year, they have been actively searching out flights operated by the A380, and trying to find B777 flights for those segments where the A380 might not be available.

The B777 is from personal experience, but the A380 is purely because it's new and they want to see it for themselves if it is as good as the media/advertising say it is.

But, to bring this discussion closer to topic, this doesn't seem to apply to the same degree for freighters. I just can't see any company say "I'd like to send this shipment to Paris, but only if it will be going on the new B777F."

There's got to be other important factors in these decisions as well. Would potential passengers see these flying billboards and think "Hey, that looks cool, I want to fly with them next time"? In that case, the difference between a freighter and a passenger aircraft would not matter that much, as most people would only look at the airlines name and logo, if even that.
Old 15th August 2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie P View Post
Just to add another quandary into the mix, but how does it differ to the Star Alliance theme aircraft... It is an 'Alliance' paintjob, with barely any identification to the company that it is flying for by way of (generally) small logo decals!
However, that said, they are part of the alliance and as such would be getting codeshare flights/pax from the alliance partners, so its more of a winner from the airlines point of view i would've thought? Keep the alliance happy and going and get more passengers on codeshare!
Old 15th August 2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
However, that said, they are part of the alliance and as such would be getting codeshare flights/pax from the alliance partners, so its more of a winner from the airlines point of view i would've thought? Keep the alliance happy and going and get more passengers on codeshare!
Rhys,
How true that is, BUT, as to the paint scheme of the aircraft involved, there is not a lot saying as to who owns (or at least has the 'keys' for) it. There would be less on these birds than that of the Dreamliner scheme with the tail in the operators colours!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 16th August 2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
I would say most high yielding frequent traveller haven't got a clue what type of plane they are on

Banjo

Hey Andrew.
I used to deal with some very high profile 'high yield' flyers and I'd say 80% knew the types extremely well. In fact it staggered me as to how many knew the registrations due to wanting certain configerations and upgraded aircraft over the older seats etc.
Cheers,
Scott.
Old 16th August 2008, 05:43 PM

Advertising isn't used just to sell something. A lot is actually targeted at employee's to help build moral etc. Indeed I recall the the Enya theme Ansett adds years ago had no real point except for for creating a positive immage for the company, which included the staff.

With these aircraft being painted in Boeing house colours (why are people calling them Dreamliner colours?) maybe the reason is building pride in the Boeing company. Afterall it must be a serious embarassment to them that they are yet to get a 787 into the sky, and indeed it seems even the rollout of the 787 was contrived. So why not paint some aircraft in house colours?