Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 16th October 2008, 03:34 PM

Default Outbound domestic to internationl connection query

All,

As can be seen from my signature, I have a QF domestic flight on Saturday connecting to the AC YYZ flight in Sydney. I've been told that QF should be able to check my bags all the way to YYZ. In order to achieve this do I have to check in at the airport or can it be done if I check in online.

Also, I'm interested in any recommendations for transferring from domestic to international at SYD. I'm aware of all the options, I'm just interested in any personal experiences.

Thanks for any help.

Nathan
Old 16th October 2008, 04:45 PM

You will have to check-in at Mel airport. Also I am not 100% sure what the arrangement is between Qantas and AC but you MAY have to go to the AC check-in desk in Sydney to get your AC boarding pass. If you do they will want to see the baggage receipt from Qantas.

Not sure what your question is in regards to the transfer at Sydney, quite clearly the best and only sensible option is to take the Qantas transfer bus. It is free and operates very regulary. Just show your AC boarding pass (if you happen to get one from Qantas in Melb) or your ticket/e-ticket from AC at the transfer gate.
Old 16th October 2008, 05:14 PM

Ash,

Thanks for that. I didn't think I would be able to use the transfer bus since I'm not catching a QF international flight outbound.
Old 16th October 2008, 05:30 PM

For AC, no boarding pass will be issued (As with most airlines, normally only comes through for BA, CX, SQ and now JQ) however baggage will go all the way through. Make sure you have an Itinerary (Including one if any changes have been made) as the bags will not be sent without proof of an onward journey. You will need to see the AC Desk in Sydney for Boarding pass collection, and for the numbers and weights to be added into their system.
Old 16th October 2008, 06:25 PM

Thanks Todd.
Old 16th October 2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Long View Post
Ash,

Thanks for that. I didn't think I would be able to use the transfer bus since I'm not catching a QF international flight outbound.
You can use the Qantas transfer bus if you are connecting to or from a Qantas domestic flight.
Old 16th October 2008, 07:47 PM

Thanks Daniel.
Old 17th October 2008, 10:38 PM

Have a good flight
Yep Qantas will check the bags in Melbourne
Yes you can use the bus
You will need to line up at SYD airport to get the tickets

You probably won't read this until your back!

I would love know if AC have finally got their in-flight moving map working and how you find the reliability of the in flight entertainment.

Old 18th October 2008, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Long View Post
All,

As can be seen from my signature, I have a QF domestic flight on Saturday connecting to the AC YYZ flight in Sydney. I've been told that QF should be able to check my bags all the way to YYZ. In order to achieve this do I have to check in at the airport or can it be done if I check in online.

Also, I'm interested in any recommendations for transferring from domestic to international at SYD. I'm aware of all the options, I'm just interested in any personal experiences.

Thanks for any help.

Nathan
Hi Nathan,

As Qantas and Air Canada have interline baggage agreements, Qantas can check your bag ex-MEL all the way to your final destination, Toronto. Make sure the check-in agent prints bag tags for YYZ (so, it should be SYD/YVR/YYZ) on the bag tag with correct flight numbers / details. Regarding the Canadian Customs arrangement, I am not sure what happens there because you are transiting at YVR. However since the YVR-YYZ sector listed on your signature will be on the same aircraft, I believe you will only need to clear customs (collect your bags etc.) at YYZ (as that leg is a domestic leg of an international flight with international flight number). You will still have to go to AC check-in at Sydney to collect your two boarding passes. I suggest you go and ask the AC check-in agent (which if memory serves me right is done by QF anyway) whether you clear customs at Vancouver or at Toronto. I know for one that US have special requirements whereby you will have to clear customs at the first port of call, unless it is a technical fuel stop (not sure if that applies to Canada though). In the US scenario, when a pax arrives at SFO/LAX for example, they have to clear customs there. So they have to collect their bags, drag their bags through customs and immigration, before dropping their bags off the domestic transfer baggage carousel.

Hope this helps and if you read this after your flight please share with us your experience.
Old 21st October 2008, 08:02 PM

Thanks to all for your help, the flight went well (albeit long). For all those interested this is how the process worked:

1. Went to "International Connections" check-in desk at MEL
2. Picked up boarding pass at AC check in at SYD.
3. Picked up bag and cleared customs at YVR. Basically had enough time to clear customs, pick up bag and drop off at belt & clear security before reboarding flight to YYZ.
4. YVR-YYZ is a domestic leg so keep a hold of boarding pass to get some free food, otherwise you have to pay.

Overall experience is not too bad. Seats and IFE are not as good as new A380 & 77W SQ seats, but still OK.