Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 7th May 2011, 09:35 AM

Ditto. At least 10 flights on SYD-CBR, no more than 20 on board.

Old 7th May 2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony C View Post
Don't expect Strategic to last all that long on the Gladstone route. They need to fill quite a few seats just to cover the fuel.
QLink have added another 4 flights per week at almost the same times as Strategic.

Emerald and Gladstone would have to be an odds on favourite. Bundy at a guess but there's not as much business traffic.

Rocky maybe to replace any under-performing E-Jet runs (If there are any)
I think Strategic are targetting more of the business traffic, as well as FIFO workers... perhaps a 'quicker' flight to/from Brisbane could be appealling?? I have heard that Strategic are also considering FIFO flights from the Gold Coast to Gladstone and return too..

With the Virgin ATR's - Emerald needs security screening - space is there in the refurbished terminal - but I haven't seen or heard anything about it coming soon.. Would be great to see Virgin in Emerald - the rumor/story of them coming has been around for years...

Damian
Old 7th May 2011, 04:28 PM

Emerald won't need security for the ATR at the moment.

2012-4 I think was the timetable for aircraft above 20T MTOW to require screening.

The Gladstone council want someone to do SYD-GLT but I'm not sure if the numbers would be there for a frequent service. Possibly ex SYD.
Old 7th May 2011, 08:19 PM

I suspect to compete with Qantaslink Virgin will need at least 4-5 daily frequencies to Gladstone and Emerald that will keep two aircraft busy. The only other possible destinations I can think of are Bundaberg, Maryborough and Hervey Bay each of those probably won't need more then 2 daily frequencies. I'm not convinced Maryborough would be viable Sunshine Express and more recently Rex have tried with 30 seaters with no success. As Liam said the ATR's would suit a daily return milk run to Cairns on top of the Ejet flights I flew TSV-ROK in February with all 78 seats occupied and this isn't exactly a low yielding route with lead in fares around $180. I'll bet any money Virgin will challenge Qantaslink for the Qconnect contracts to Roma/Charleville, Blackall/Barcaldine/Longreach, Cloncurry/Mount Isa, Horn Island and Weipa when they come up for renewal.

Does anyone else think July is a bit optimistic? A month and a half seems awfully close to open a new crew base, train crews on an aircraft that has limited history in Australia and market new routes.
Old 7th May 2011, 08:53 PM

I am a regular business traveler to Rockhampton and Mt Isa from Townsville, and fly to these two destinations. I first flew Virgin from TSV-ROK about three weeks after these flights initially started, and there was only 18 people on the E170 that day. I thought to myself back then that these flights were doomed.

However, every other time I have flown this TSV-ROK-TSV sector, the flights have been very close to full and on one occasion an E190 operated ROK-TSV and this flight was also jam packed. Just recently Virgin changed schedules and the TSV-ROK-TSV service has gone from 6 per week to 4. I am actually flying TSV-ROK on Tuesday next week, and then ROK-TSV on Thursday 12th, so I will report back on the loads on those two flights.

As for Mt Isa, I regularly fly the QantasLink Q400 TSV-ISA-TSV. I can tell you that these flights are always packed to capacity, and with fares not that cheap, I would think it is a very profitable regional route for Qantas. Rex also operates Saab's on the TSV-ISA-TSV route as well, so it will be interesting to see if Virgin do bid for Mt Isa services with their ATR's when the contract comes up for renewal in a couple of years time.
Old 7th May 2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Parer View Post
It will be interesting to see if Virgin do bid for Mt Isa services with their ATR's when the contract comes up for renewal in a couple of years time.
As far as I know only the flights via Hughenden, Richmond, Julia Creek and Concurry are contracted TSV-ISA nonstop isn't covered by Q connect so Virgin can pretty much start as soon as they like. I'd be surprised if TSV-ISA isn't one of the first routes when the start basing ATR's in North Queensland.

Getting off topic but one I've never worked out is why they didn't have a go at TSV-DRW it seems like a perfect route long enough for a Jet, no direct competition, combined population of 350k, both main economic centres of their respective regions not to mention the large ADF presence in both cities. The E170 would have been right sized too.
Old 7th May 2011, 11:32 PM

Jason, I have never been able to work why there is no TSV-DRW flight. It is an ideal route for Virgin to have a crack at, as I don't think there would be enough paxs to fill a 737 or A320, but an E Jet would be perfect.

Apart from ADF, I know of a few guys who live in Townsville and work two weeks on then two weeks off at mines in NT. And how do they get to Darwin from Townsville? TSV-BNE-DRW!! Not even via CNS which I thought would be the most logical way....
Old 7th May 2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers View Post
As far as I know only the flights via Hughenden, Richmond, Julia Creek and Concurry are contracted TSV-ISA nonstop isn't covered by Q connect so Virgin can pretty much start as soon as they like.
That's correct, also Townsville - Winton - Longreach is covered by Q connect.
Old 8th May 2011, 10:14 AM
Prolific Member

With 4 aircraft based in BNE ....Yes BNE-GLT 4 a day,BNE-EMD 3 a day,BNE-BDB 3 a day .BNE-RMA 1 a day,BNE-ARM or TMW 1 a day,BNE-DBO(new mooted service by someone) 3 a week.BNE-CFS 1daily.BNE-HVB-ROK 1 Daily.BNE-MBH-ROK 1 daily.These last 2 services would also connect ROK with HVB,MBH and BNE a sort of small milk run.Out of BNE the ports are endless with Charleville,Alpha(when the big mines start in 2012),Moranbah,Thangool,Longreach via CTL or RMA.

Later on NTH QLD could have up to 2 aircraft based there to do those runs mentioned in this thread.

This would give up to 15 or 16 a day departures or roughly 4 by each aircraft.

My Thoughts only.
Old 8th May 2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Parer View Post
Jason, I have never been able to work why there is no TSV-DRW flight. It is an ideal route for Virgin to have a crack at, as I don't think there would be enough paxs to fill a 737 or A320, but an E Jet would be perfect.

Apart from ADF, I know of a few guys who live in Townsville and work two weeks on then two weeks off at mines in NT. And how do they get to Darwin from Townsville? TSV-BNE-DRW!! Not even via CNS which I thought would be the most logical way....
Actually CNS is the main hub for passengers coming up from TSV, ROK, MKY and GLT going to NT. Who can swap the QF Dash to either one of the 2 daily QF 717 flights and some passengers next to me on my TSV-CNS flight were going on the JQ flight that leaves from the international terminal which is a short 5 min walk from the domestic one. But I do reckon a TSV-DRW non stopper would work if only they had a look into it and had a spare E190 of course for DJ. QF could start it with their new 717s that they are getting