Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 12th September 2016, 09:48 AM

Default "Disappearing" Arrivals

Was out do a bit of spotting on Sunday 11 Sep.

Three arrivals that I noted (international flights) were directed to turn right off 34L after landing. These were 2 Qantas (including QF 6) and Singapore flight 251.I did not see them cross the runway again to head to T1 or did not see one SQ tail parked there later

Is there an explanation from someone

Thanks folks
Old 12th September 2016, 10:10 AM

They most likely de-planed on full stand off down on the 3 parking bays located near the jet base pond. SQ251 aircraft would have remained there til around midday before being towed to T1. The Qantas aircraft were probably towed into the jet base or turned around for departure.

Last edited by NathanJ; 12th September 2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12th September 2016, 10:48 AM
Prolific Member

SQ251 (9V-STG, towed to Bay 54 around 1030) , QF6 (VH-EBV towed, I presume to maintenance, at around 1050) and QF130 (VH-QPA towed to Bay 34 around 1030) were the three that went to the Northern Pond.
Old 12th September 2016, 12:37 PM

Are the northern pond bays 83, 84 and 85? Is it a common practice to deplane at the northern pond? There seems to be more aircraft than bays from 9:00 am until the rush of departures from 9:30 for the next hour or more. Are there any plans to extend the international terminal and construct more aerobridges? If so, where would they go? Maybe move the freight terminal down towards the main fire station or purchase the golf course and extend the terminal over the Cooks River!

Could bays 71 to 77 be used to deplane as well, although these bays seem to be used for parking aircraft if they have a longer turnaround time?

What are the bay numbers for the new "Kilo" bays? I noticed a couple of 737s parked there on Wednesday.
Old 12th September 2016, 03:43 PM
Prolific Member

Please see red below

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
Are the northern pond bays 83, 84 and 85?Correct.

Is it a common practice to deplane at the northern pond? It's more common these days, yes.

There seems to be more aircraft than bays from 9:00 am until the rush of departures from 9:30 for the next hour or more. Are there any plans to extend the international terminal and construct more aerobridges? I don't know the answer to this one.

If so, where would they go? Maybe move the freight terminal down towards the main fire station or purchase the golf course and extend the terminal over the Cooks River!

Could bays 71 to 77 be used to deplane as well, although these bays seem to be used for parking aircraft if they have a longer turnaround time? No, this apron is for remote parking only

What are the bay numbers for the new "Kilo" bays? I noticed a couple of 737s parked there on Wednesday. 120 and 121, plus their secondary bays 120A, 120B, 121A and 121B. These are also for remote parking only
Old 12th September 2016, 06:30 PM

Thank you Nigel for your response.

Are bays 120 and 121 for wide bodied aircraft and the secondary bays for 737/A320 size aircraft, meaning that the capacity is 2 wide bodied, 4 single aisled aircraft or a 1 - 2 assortment?
Old 12th September 2016, 07:56 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
Thank you Nigel for your response.

Are bays 120 and 121 for wide bodied aircraft and the secondary bays for 737/A320 size aircraft, meaning that the capacity is 2 wide bodied, 4 single aisled aircraft or a 1 - 2 assortment?
Both 120 and 121 are max B744, 120a/b and 121a/b are each max 737-9, DAP is usually up to date with such matters.

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/...SYAP03-147.pdf
Old 13th September 2016, 07:52 PM

I was on SQ251 on Sunday and was surprised we parked over at the pond. Had to wait onboard for enough busses to show up to take us to the terminal, thought it an odd way to arrive internationally.
- PPL (C172/PA28)
- SBS-3+VirtualRadarServer