Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st April 2008, 05:32 PM

Default Qantas scanner can see through clothes

Qantas scanner can see through clothes

Quote:
April 01, 2008 05:04pm
Article from: Agence France-Presse

A SECURITY scanner that sees through passengers' clothes will be tested by Qantas at Melbourne airport.

The airline intends to introduce the device, which uses millimetre waves to scan the body, "at selected Qantas screening points in the not too distant future", Qantas security manager Geoffrey Askew said in a statement.

The test at Melbourne's domestic terminal this week is aimed at assessing the public's response to the new security system.

"Passengers are invited to view and test the equipment on a voluntary basis in order for Qantas to gain customer feedback on this new technology," Mr Askew said.

Passengers would walk into the unit and stand in a designated spot for three seconds with arms raised.

"The millimetre waves used to generate the individual's image are not invasive or harmful. The image created simply resembles an outline of the person and indicates the position of any foreign object," he said.

"The face is unrecognisable and sensitive areas of the body are blurred. The security operative is the only person with access to the image and that person is located away from the screening location.

"This is a major advancement on current technology and will eventually deliver significant improvements for security and the efficient movement of passengers through airport terminals."

Amsterdam's Schiphol airport introduced a similar scan in May last year, becoming the first airport in the world to use the system, officials said.
Old 1st April 2008, 05:46 PM

I wrote an article about this many years ago when it was introduced in the U.S. - it kinda looks like this: http://lifeboat.com/images/x-ray.sca...ransparent.jpg

Last edited by Trevor Sinclair; 1st April 2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: pic wouldn't upload for some reason grrrr
Old 1st April 2008, 05:50 PM

I dont think we will ever see this in mainstream. The fact that it takes 3 seconds, requires humans to look at the picture and clear the person would take too long (especially during peak periods).

Not to mention the long lines that exist at Perth airport during peak time.

Aside from that though, it is an interesting concept. Perhaps we might see this for international flights?
Old 1st April 2008, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
I dont think we will ever see this in mainstream. The fact that it takes 3 seconds, requires humans to look at the picture and clear the person would take too long (especially during peak periods).
3 Seconds seems great to the amount of time it takes to walk though the current metal detector gate, go back, take off your watch, walk through again, go back, take off your shoes etc etc

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 1st April 2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knudsen View Post
3 Seconds seems great to the amount of time it takes to walk though the current metal detector gate, go back, take off your watch, walk through again, go back, take off your shoes etc etc
I was under the impression such methods of taking stuff out of your pockets, watch etc still applied?

Perhaps i have the wrong impression
Old 1st April 2008, 06:05 PM
Administrator

My watch seems to get picked up only sometimes at BNE, never caused a problem anywhere else so I don't really bother - but for some reason my shoes set off the scanner every so often...if you could just go for one 3 second scan and not have to take anything off (beside bags) or out of your pockets that'd be a great time saver, I'd say it would probably reduce queues.

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 1st April 2008, 08:38 PM

The BNE machines seemed to be turned up a little more than SYD or MEL's as my shoes set off BNE only, not any other machine.

3 seconds would be fine, especially if it means I dont have to remove shoes. Keep in mind that the machine may only be used on an alarm of the current detector, rather than having to be rescreened.
Old 1st April 2008, 10:15 PM

And the date is........??????????
Old 1st April 2008, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby C View Post
And the date is........??????????
I'd happily buy into that if I didn't see the machine in action on the news this evening! Then there was of course the followup story on today tonight about how its a violation of peoples rights.

I saw have 2 queues, one for people who have nothing to hide, and one for people who do

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 2nd April 2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
I was under the impression such methods of taking stuff out of your pockets, watch etc still applied?

Perhaps i have the wrong impression
LHR T4 has something like this. They take people at random from the queue for the extra screening. They do it as an addition to normal screening, the only difference being after being scanned like this you get taken to the head of the normal queue where you screened as normal.