Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 8th February 2010, 08:12 PM

I'm not too sure where anybody is really being that negative...
I would imagine that most, if not all, spotters who use the Mound would already treat it with respect. I have never seen any spotters leave rubbish, for reason obvious to an aviation enthusiast.
Perhaps a small sign on the fence indicating it's purpose would have alleviated any cautiousness, and given those concerned a little more confidence.
Either way, I am sure all spotters will show their appreciation in any way they can.
Long live The Mound!
Cheers,
Neil.
Old 8th February 2010, 09:00 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilP View Post
Looks ominous...
Somewhat negative, wouldn't you agree?

However I wasn't necessarily referring to just this thread. If you go back through the pages of past threads that mention spotting locations and changes occuring nearby, you'll usually be met with the usual negativity brigade.

The problem, I would think, with putting a sign up on the fence indicating it's a 'dedicated spotting area' (I presume that's what you meant?) is that there would then be a degree of responsibility and duty of care taken for the condition of the area by the landowner. This would then lead to numerous initial and ongoing maintenance costs which no doubt the landowner might reasonably try to recover.

I do agree though that the Mound is an accessible area which can hopefully remain open to the public. If it's looked after, well you just never know!

Last edited by Nigel C; 8th February 2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 9th February 2010, 07:35 AM

I can't necessarily speak for every other poster on in this forum, but I know for a fact that my "looks ominous" comment was simply a tongue in cheek comment regarding the fact that given the Mound is really nothing more than wasteland albeit owned by a corporate heavyweight, and that this is the second lot of fencing to go up in the last 6 months or so, plus having neither heard nor seen anything to allay such "fears", we should be prepared for it not to be there in the future.

Personally, if I owned or bought that block of land, I would develop it into a multi-level aircraft spotting area with cafe and toilets... and quite possibly charge a small entry fee. Or is that negative?
Old 9th February 2010, 07:50 AM
Prolific Member

Then how about ask Macquarie about leasing it and make it happen?

Well, now that you know the fencing was put up to help stop erosion from the cars, your "fears" can now be allayed!
Old 9th February 2010, 08:22 AM

Because it's an unrealistic "pipe dream"...

Now that I know, I feel much better, thank you.

And No, I don't need a sign to tell me it's a "dedicated spotting area". But a sign, perhaps "fence erected to control soil erosion", akin to "Don't feed the birds" would have sufficed...

Last edited by NeilP; 9th February 2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 9th February 2010, 08:24 AM

Lightbulb Alternatively ...

How about we offer to buy Shep's Hill from Big Mac and turn it into 'our' clubhouse including a tower with castellated photography stations and entry to members only?

Old 9th February 2010, 08:25 AM

Nigel,

In fairness to the negative comments, over the past few years there has been a decreasing number of decent vantage points due to building works and the like and you have to admit - the mound would be one of those places high on the list for redevelopment. People get worried when they see fence and taped off areas because of the possibility that in 6-12 months time there could be a dirty big building standing on the patch of dirt which represents the only legally accessable westerly facing viewing area.

Having said that, I personally appreciate you letting us all know whats going on and laying to rest the rumour mill.

Now .... if only you could do something about those lightposts on the fenceline
Old 9th February 2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
How about we offer to buy Shep's Hill from Big Mac and turn it into 'our' clubhouse including a tower with castellated photography stations and entry to members only?

Great idea Philip....you buy it and I'll join your club
Old 12th February 2010, 07:07 AM

On a more positive note, this was what it was like just over 4 years ago - the big event, A380 F-WWOW arriving.

How many of you can see where you were?

Last edited by Peter Agatsiotis; 23rd August 2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12th February 2010, 07:35 AM

Peter,

good memories!

Actually on that day- i was over at the radar field with what id say was at least 100+ others. Back then when it was still allowed the radar field used to have huge piles of sand (which weren't covered in knee deep grass like it is now) which made for a perfect place to spot or put down the chair!

shame we seem to lose these things over time ie radar field, shep's hill becoming more restrictive and tarmac tours..

Last edited by Matt_L; 12th February 2010 at 09:21 AM.