Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 20th July 2011, 11:59 AM

Default Qantas Pax Loadings: Aus-USA?

To those with previous experience,

I would just like to find out a rough idea on passenger loads on Qantas flights between Australia and the US.
I have an upcoming return trip to America and would prefer to fly on the least busy flights in the hope of scoring an empty seat next to me.
With 5 Qantas flights each way between the two countries, I am trying to narrow down my selection choice.

Are there some days of the week which usually see less passengers on these flights, or are flight loads quite similar for each flight everyday of the week?

Thanks
-Adam
Old 20th July 2011, 04:43 PM

I'm not quite sure of the exact loadfactor numbers, however I believe they are usually very full. I know from experience and from the stories of friends that they are usually quite full.
Old 20th July 2011, 08:37 PM
Prolific Member

With the Aussie dollar as high as it has been in recent months, the numbers travelling to the States have been very solid.
Old 20th July 2011, 08:39 PM

I flew MEL-LAX-JFK and return on QF in May. On the way back to Australia, both flights were 100% full and the cabin crew also told us that.
Old 21st July 2011, 11:18 AM

Thanks for your replies.
I thought they would have been quite full, especially given the Aussie Dollar as mentioned, although some routes on some days may have been a little more quiet - ie. days when V Australia also fly to LAX

I still find it hard to believe 'Qantas International' are loosing money, the Aus-US route must be their main bread winner?
Which is a good effort for that route considering the amount of daily flights with the other carriers: VA, Delta, United, NZ, and the Qantas/Jetstar & Hawaiian services to Hawaii.

I was on the domestic leg of QF8 the other day, BNE-SYD, and that sector seemed about 75% full in economy.
(window seat for me in row 70, empty seat next to me made for a very comfortable trip!)

I didn't get around to asking the cabin crew what the loads have been for the new Dallas service, although would think many passengers would use QF8 with Brisbane being their final destination - hence the lighter load to Sydney.
Old 21st July 2011, 04:43 PM

I guess they may be losing money because of the current yields. I paid $1900 which was a HBA-JFK return flight. A few years ago this would have gone for $3500.
Old 22nd July 2011, 07:16 AM

The Aus-US routes are also popular for staff travellers. So even though the flight may be full - there could be loads of staff on cheap tickets helping to fill the plane. I remember over haring a gate agent in LAX saying there were over 100 staff listed for the SYD flight and some had been waiting days to get on.
Old 22nd July 2011, 02:22 PM

The LAX gate agent's comment is reflecting the fact that the flights are full. 100+ staff are stuck because they can't get on due commercial demand. The staff don't help fill the plane, they pray for an empty seat to get on; I can remember many a time we have only been able to take 1 or 2 when there have been 20+ trying to get on.

LAX flights are generally oversold.
Old 24th July 2011, 12:01 PM

I understand re: passenger loads vs profit yields - thanks for clearing that up, makes sense now.

I had booked an international flight last year: "red-e ticket" there, "super-saver" ticket back. Total just over $2000AU
Had to cancel that trip, rewarded with flight credit to be used within 12 months, minus $60 change fee.

My mistake, I through "flight credit to be used within 12 months" translated to 'new booking to be made within 12 months'.
As you all know, the rule actually is "new booking and travel to be made within 12 months

Within the 12 months I made a new booking, domestic flights that came as close as possible to the original flight credit ($2,000 - $60 change fee).
At the time of making the booking I had no need to travel, so purchased "Flexi-Saver" tickets with the intention to cancel these tickets in order to get a full refund.

As it turns out, now the 12 months have passed (a few days ago) I am ineligible to cancel my new booking for a full refund.
I was told my only cancellation option was to revert back to the original booking I made, red-e ticket+super-saver ticket conditions. As a result the red-e ticket has expired (loss of $800) and the super-saver ticket can be refunded, minus cancellation fee.
So from an original cost of $2000, I am down to $850 at best.

Now....this is not a whinging complaint against Qantas - I accept responsibility for my actions.
This is just a cautionary tale for the benefit of others.

The part that gets me is that literally 2 days after my flight credit expired, opportunity presented itself for me to make an overseas trip in the near future. So if only I had an extra week until the flight credit expired, I could have ended up using it in full to make this trip go ahead - as current Qantas flight prices match up with what I had in flight credit.
ahhhhh well.

V-Australia's sale price on the other hand, is still a good $600 cheaper for return flights on the AUS-USA route. What are their pax loads and yields like?
At their current prices, the airline seems like an attractive option.
Old 24th July 2011, 03:23 PM

Very hard to come across a V Australia flight that is not overbooked, not a day goes by with a free seat in Economy.

I have flown VA about 6 times now across to LA, the cheapest was $777 return, and the others upward of $1200. Although I think the days of those prices are gone!

Just stay clear of that United Economy option, its 15hrs of torture!