Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 9th September 2015, 09:24 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

In one video I counted seven passengers with carry on bags, some wheeling them behind them across the runway. Evacuating with bags could cause injury to themself or other passengers on the escape slide, or slow things down to the point where some passengers to not make it out before the fire takes hold. Difficult for the cabin crew, if they take the bags from the passenger, it will again slow things down, and where do they put them without blocking the exits.

Unbelievable !

Like the Flight.org video Mark, thanks.

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 9th September 2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 9th September 2015, 09:42 PM

The Pax should be fined

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 9th September 2015, 10:25 PM

Did anyone else have no sound in the video?
Old 9th September 2015, 11:23 PM

OK so now the dumb question. For the sensible people whom did leave without their carry on behind, how do they get their possessions back in a scenario like this?
Old 10th September 2015, 07:28 AM

Interesting spin on the fire spread. I was quite surprised at where the actual fire seemed to be coming from.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...-1227520010227
Old 10th September 2015, 07:43 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Buzzell View Post
Interesting spin on the fire spread. I was quite surprised at where the actual fire seemed to be coming from.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...-1227520010227
I wonder what it takes to be labelled an expert by the press?? That article is just rubbish, fuel on the Tarmac from a refuelling spill LOL. Any unusual heat would have been detected by sensors a long time before takeoff.

The photo linked in Roberts post (https://mobile.twitter.com/starflyer...rc=twsrc%5Etfw) seems to indicate no ground damage, I suspect the fire was fed by fuel from a damaged line after the engine tore itself apart.

Last edited by MarkR; 10th September 2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10th September 2015, 07:51 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Brown View Post
The Pax should be fined
They should be banned from flying. They're a danger to themselves as well as everyone around them.
Old 10th September 2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
They should be banned from flying. They're a danger to themselves as well as everyone around them.
Part of the 'its all about me' times we live in....No doubt someone will sue the airline for distress or lost something or other.....

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 10th September 2015, 10:06 AM

I'm in no way excusing what they did but under a stressful situation such as this people don't think. It's a very non-normal situation and people have a paradigm, or set way of doing things, when they leave an aircraft (taking things with you). I don't think it's isolated to a fire evacuation of a plane. It's likely a pattern of other evacuations also.

There is talk about locking overhead lockers after this incident. It highlights the importance of limiting the size of carry-on luggage. Are cabin crew trained to forcefully tell the passengers to ditch their bags at the door prior to exit?
Old 10th September 2015, 11:03 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radi K View Post
I'm in no way excusing what they did but under a stressful situation such as this people don't think. It's a very non-normal situation and people have a paradigm, or set way of doing things, when they leave an aircraft (taking things with you). I don't think it's isolated to a fire evacuation of a plane. It's likely a pattern of other evacuations also.

There is talk about locking overhead lockers after this incident. It highlights the importance of limiting the size of carry-on luggage. Are cabin crew trained to forcefully tell the passengers to ditch their bags at the door prior to exit?

This is the latest in a long list of evacuations where customers have taken bags etc. I think locking lockers is not a bad a idea, of course that won't help those who stow bags under the seats in front (albeit smaller in size). At least the problem is now seen as something that affects both developed and developing countries, as previously the majority of incidents have been in Asia.