Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 17th March 2014, 02:59 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
I was not aware of the engine data satellite comms/pinging independent of ACARS and transponder - can anyone on here who knows what they're talking about explain how this works, assuming the basic proposition is accurate?

Forget the engine data, it's been confirmed no ACARS transmissions have been made before handover. What they have done is looked at the handshake ping that occurs once every hour from the Immarsat to clients. Presumably the return ping also provides the satellite with elevation data, that is where the aircraft is seeing the sat on the horizon, if you look at the image there are clear angle rings, starting from 90 at the sat, which of course is what the antenna angle would be at underneath the sat.

Whoever took the aircraft was not across the fact a satcom pings, despite all the devices connected to it being shutdown. Had the aircraft been newer it would probably have the irridium package which are low orbit sats, and would have been able to narrow down the location to a much smaller area. The foot print on each Immarsat takes up 1/3 of each part of the world at the equator, but is non existent / unusable once you get past + or - 70 degrees of latitude heading for the poles.
Old 17th March 2014, 07:24 PM

Two questions regarding the recent announcements on possible track of the aircraft

1 - If it had flown on the southern track into Indian Ocean would it not have potentially shown up on the Australian JORN network?
2 - I have not flown on Malaysian Airlines for a few years but would any passenger onboard who had the flight path on the IFE see the plane change course and then contine on a course that was not towards the destination?
Old 17th March 2014, 07:47 PM

2 - Yes, unless the system was shut down.
Old 17th March 2014, 08:21 PM

Hi James L

My thoughts exactly as I posed the question about JORN (Jindalee Over The Horizon Radar Network) on Oz-spotters a few days ago.

JORN has a published range of 1000 - 3000 kms (and possibly more) depending on atmospheric conditions so if the missing aircraft did head southwest it COULD have been within range of JORN, provided of course it was operational as I understand that it does not operate 24/7 !!

The station at Laverton in W A would have been the closest and most likely to detect it. So therefore I presume that even if the transponders were turned off, JORN may have tracked an unidentified aircraft over the Indian Ocean as did the other military radars in South East Asia.

And I also thought about the IFE and iPad if u were a passenger watching the course but I presume the screens would have gone blank if systems had been turned off but I don't know enough to make a really informed comment.

However, I have carried an old fashioned compass in my camera bag for years (a relic of Orienteering and CMF days) and sometimes use it on aircraft when I'm returning from MEL to PER, usually due west on a heading of 270 degrees. The slightest change in course swings the compass so if the aircraft I was travelling did dramatically change course, then I would know about it.

But what can you do when travelling in an aluminium tube at 10,000 metres ? Just panic I suppose.
Old 17th March 2014, 08:27 PM
Prolific Member

I presume at that time of the night, most of the pax would have been asleep so they wouldn't have noticed any change in heading anyway.
Old 18th March 2014, 05:22 AM

MH has confirmed that the last radio transmission was from the f/o.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 18th March 2014, 03:33 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Another Interesting Theory ...

MH370 shadows SQ68 through the volatile airspace of India and Pakistan, and then breaks off to its final destination.
Old 19th March 2014, 02:46 AM

This and something else I have read linked from the same site is very scary stuff.

We can only hope evidence of wreckage is found soon instead of the alternative to what these sites are now suggesting.
Old 19th March 2014, 10:47 AM

and now MH has confirmed that the ACARS was not disconnected before the final transmission...50 years of 1 party rule = absolute circus.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 19th March 2014, 11:27 AM
Prolific Member

A plausible theory, amongst the many, many others.
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03...ectrical-fire/