Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 25th March 2008, 08:27 PM

Default Brisbane Airport - Domestic Terminal Expansion

Seems an announcement is imminent:

Quote:
Mr Rooijmans said BAC would soon be announcing a major expansion of the Domestic Terminal, arguably the single largest airport investment undertaken on an Australian airport.
Source (interesting article in Quest re: BNE)

It will be nice to see some more renders...

Did anyone happen to scan the artist's impression of the expanded Brisbane Domestic terminal that was in the Courier Mail recently? It showed checkin and security above where the current drop-off zone is positioned.

For reference purposes:

It's concerning that BAC seem to be opting for a single road for arrivals and departures. We essentially need a setup like what's featured at Brisbane International and SYD T2/3 - a 2 level road with separate access ports for arrivals and departures.

Nevertheless, a bigger, better and more capable Domestic terminal is an exciting prospect.

Cheers
Old 25th March 2008, 08:45 PM

Expansion plans are always welcomed.

I am sure I'm not the only one here who has experienced sadness while trying to find a carpark in the already massive long term car park, hopefully some solid planning work has been done in addressing this issue.

The other issue is the Airtrain and it's obvious connections (or lack there of) with the Queensland Rail network beyond normal working hours. Monday to Friday the last train out is at 1934. So if you caught the train to the airport for a 10am departure but returned to Brisbane after 1930 you're limited to a cab. That combined with the run down and derelict Queensland Rail station facilities outside of the airport precinct and driving your big gas guzzling "I love the Gold Coast" Hummer to the airport might just be a cost saving to you!
Old 26th March 2008, 11:41 AM

They should have considered moving the domestic terminal to the southern side of the apron. At the moment getting into the airport is relatively easy, but the one main road going out is often congested during peak hours. I've seen it bank up all the way to the international terminal on a really bad day.

FYI, I'm currently using a shortcut to get out. You duck through the international terminal arrivals road which will get you out to the end of Qantas Drive where you need to turn left. At the end of Qantas Drive, you go left onto Lomandra Drive and then right onto Sugar Mill Road. Then turn right onto Kingsford Smith drive. You can then get onto the Gateway Motorway just before the bridge, or carry on and head into the city. This method is currently saving me heaps of time, but I am sure they will eventually realize people are using it and go and do something like block it off or put in extra lights. There were police directing traffic at the intersection of Sugar Mill Road and Kingsford Smith Drive a couple of nights last week.