Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 22nd November 2008, 06:48 PM

Default QF flt cancelled due flap damage

This just in from news.com.au

Quote:
A NEW Zealand-bound Qantas flight had to be aborted minutes before takeoff when wing damage was discovered by an engineer at Sydney airport today.

The Christchurch-bound Qantas 747-300 was taxiing towards the runway at 9.15am (AEST) when an engineer noticed damage to its right wing flap.

The engineer notified the pilot, who aborted the flight.

Qantas said all 213 passengers on the plane have been given accommodation and meal vouchers, and booked on another flight tomorrow.

The damage was being assessed, a spokeswoman for the airline said.
Any idea how this one happened? Guessing a ground vehicle has come into contact with the flaps at some stage.
Old 22nd November 2008, 06:51 PM

I posted a link about this under the final flight of the 747-300 but here the link to some pics again

http://www.theaussieaviator.net/showthread.php?t=23721
Old 22nd November 2008, 07:23 PM

Didn't see that in the other thread

A bit of damage to the leading edge slats from what the photos show. I'm guessing ground equipment has hit it at some stage.
Old 22nd November 2008, 07:52 PM

How did the crew miss that one on the walk-around??

Last edited by Tom PER; 22nd November 2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 22nd November 2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Barber View Post
How did the crew miss that one the walk-around??
The flaps are not extended during the walk around. This damage would have occured as the leading edge flaps were deployed after engine start.
Old 22nd November 2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien b View Post
Didn't see that in the other thread

A bit of damage to the leading edge slats from what the photos show. I'm guessing ground equipment has hit it at some stage.
A bit of damage?? WTF - that is major! 2 things - either the pilot did NOT do his walk around or some idiot has smashed into it afterwards and kept going! Qantas has serious problems - you can't deny that.

Is this a joke or something? This cannot be happening here surely.

This has me worried enough not to travel with QANTAS with all that has been happening lately.
Old 22nd November 2008, 08:43 PM

Red face

Stay calms folks, lets not start to sound like media here and lets get the facts first.........Personally i would be mortified if the LE was like this at the gate.

So, assuming there were some professionals doing thier jobs while the A/C was at the gate, how could this have occurred?

Please, offer more serious, views from those with greater engineering knowledge, but I proffer the following:

1. Something hit it while under its own steam (highly unlikely not to have been noticed....);
OR
2. As previously suggested, (and IMHO, likely) mechanical failure during deployment.

Either way, another embarrassing engineering failure at the rat.

Question, WHO at QF really cares? The B743 is basically at the end of its life, put her down gently while there is a modicom of respect left.
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter JB View Post
A bit of damage?? WTF - that is major! 2 things - either the pilot did NOT do his walk around or some idiot has smashed into it afterwards and kept going! Qantas has serious problems - you can't deny that.

Is this a joke or something? This cannot be happening here surely.

This has me worried enough not to travel with QANTAS with all that has been happening lately.
Actually you should feel very safe because the systems worked - it was picked up before dispatch. As for your "2 things" comment - the future will probably prove both of them to be incorrect.

Last edited by Kurt A; 24th November 2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Media comment removed - Mod
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:12 PM

almost looks like on the LHS the flap jammed, and on the RHS it did its job properly, and hence just kinda tore it through the middle?
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:24 PM

Is was a simple thing that wasn't picked up on a walk around but was picked up by maintenance crew. This happens everyday in aircraft flying whether it be GA to airlines to defence.

My five cents worth.

Cheers

Adam

Last edited by Kurt A; 24th November 2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Media Comment Removed - Mod